L4610 will not turn over

tom38

Equipment
kubota l4610 2001
Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
I have a 4610 2001 gst,it ran fine friday yesterday I got on it and nothing, I noticed the fuel shut off clicked on when I turn the key on and clicks off when I turn the key off, then I noticed the battery light does not come with the key on,so I put in a new battery and I still have no cranking with the key in the cranking position, and so I jumped wired it from the little wire on the starter to the pos. on the battery and it started right up. That tells me that there most be a safety switch or more then 1. Could anyone tell me where to start looking please. thank you in advance tomkat

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Look at the seat safety switch and the one for the clutch. Is the PTO engaged?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have attached the No Start trouble shooting section which describes the safety switches involved in preventing starting.

forum L4610.jpg

I have attached two pages from the WSM describing how to test the switches.

Unfortunately the WSM is not the clearest quality.
Dave

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You better add, clean battery posts and clamps, clean ground lug where the ground cable attaches to the chassis too. I'd address the accessible connections first, battery terminals and ground lug. before the switches.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
You better add, clean battery posts and clamps, clean ground lug where the ground cable attaches to the chassis too. I'd address the accessible connections first, battery terminals and ground lug. before the switches.
In the owner's first post he said he successfully jump started the engine so this rules out the battery terminal etc

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In the owner's first post he said he successfully jump started the engine so this rules out the battery terminal etc

Dave
Not necessarily depends on where and how he jumped it. Clamping jumper cables on the lead terminals atop a battery can and will break the oxidation on the terminal and provide a low resistance pathway for the jump battery current to flow, whereas the terminals could be oxidized between the battery post and the terminal itself. Besides cleaning them is a quick 5 minute job so why not eliminate all high resistance avenues.
Furthermore, a hot jump battery can overcome any resistance in the cable ends, whereas the installed battery if it has low voltage and reduced amperage output cannot.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Not necessarily depends on where and how he jumped it. Clamping jumper cables on the lead terminals atop a battery can and will break the oxidation on the terminal and provide a low resistance pathway for the jump battery current to flow, whereas the terminals could be oxidized between the battery post and the terminal itself. Besides cleaning them is a quick 5 minute job so why not eliminate all high resistance avenues.
Furthermore, a hot jump battery can overcome any resistance in the cable ends, whereas the installed battery if it has low voltage and reduced amperage output cannot.
Read his post..... none of your current comments relate to what he did which was : I jumped wired it from the little wire on the starter to the pos. on the battery and it started right up.

Dave

tom38

Equipment
kubota l4610 2001
Jun 21, 2020
Michigan

tom38

Equipment
kubota l4610 2001
Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
thank you & I did put new post & battery & cleaned every thing but still no crank I can as we called it in the old days 50s hot wire it & it will start, but not by just turning the key over.

tom38

Equipment
kubota l4610 2001
Jun 21, 2020
Michigan
I have attached the No Start trouble shooting section which describes the safety switches involved in preventing starting.

View attachment 44990

I have attached two pages from the WSM describing how to test the switches.

Unfortunately the WSM is not the clearest quality.
Dave
Read his post..... none of your current comments relate to what he did which was : I jumped wired it from the little wire on the starter to the pos. on the battery and it started right up.

Dave
thanks Dave, problem though i am old &new to club & computer saw the attachment but do not know how to get to it. could some one tell me how. I clicked my arrow on it but nothing happens how do I retrieve it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
thanks Dave, problem though i am old &new to club & computer saw the attachment but do not know how to get to it. could some one tell me how. I clicked my arrow on it but nothing happens how do I retrieve it.
I will post the pdf pages as images for you.
forum L4610-1_Page_1.jpg
forum L4610-1_Page_2.jpg

You need to have Adobe Acrobat reader on your computer which is a free program to read pdf ffiles.

Perhaps if the reader is not on your computer it wont open the files.

A simple click or double click should open them.

Dave