Brush cutter gear box noise.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Is this an issue....after I finished cutting field today, disengaged PTO on Landpride brush cutter and raised deck Parked & shut down tractor. Got off, removed ear plugs and noticed a clicking sound coming from mower gear box as blades were slowly coming to a stop.

Grear box was warm, but not overly hot. Popped open the two side covers on plastic shroud to inspect things. U-joint seems good, as does the bolt through the gear box shaft holding the yoke. Manually spinning the blades just few RPMs produces this sound...a rhythmic clicking.

I have never noticed this before, but then again I have never spun the blades with mower detached or with mower mounted and tractor not running.

Now, about 3 weeks ago I hit a good sized stump (at a very slow speed) and it darn near killed the engine. Not stopping, I quickly raised deck. Was out of balance very briefly but smoothed out after few seconds. Attributed that to a blade being stuck until centrifugal force slung it back. later inspection showed no sign of damage. Even today I looked things over again while doing a quick sharpening with the grinder, all looked good and mowed 2+ hours running smooth.

What do you folks think? An issue or just normal?

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Do you have an Over Run Clutch adapter on your tractor PTO shaft..??..... Relevant
What brand is your Mower.....??..my bad...however some mowers have the over run clutch built "IN" to the gear box...perhaps your not familiar with these yet? I am as I own one
Pic of rear pto area? .......see 1st question.

What tractor do you have..??................curious cause this is the implement section & I don't see His tractor in His profile/signature.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Do you have an Over Run Clutch adapter on your tractor PTO shaft..??
What brand is your Mower.....??
Pic of rear pto area?

What tractor do you have..??

Stated all the pertinent facts in his first comment, read it. Tractor isn't germane at all.

Landpride choppers don't normally come with an over running clutch. I have 2 of them, a bat wing and a 96" flat. I always run an over running ratchet clutch when mowing or with any implement that don'
t have one built into the driveline,. SOP for me. That way the PTO brake don't take the abuse of the freewheeling cutter. Kubota PTO internal brakes are marginal anyway.

Far as the clicking sound, I'd ignore it. Sounds to me like something got stuck between the stump pan and the bottom of the mower. So long as the gearbox isn't hot (warm is fine) and you've greased the driveline, I'd forget about it.

I find the 2 plastic windows on the gearbox housing extension to be a royal PITA. I removed them first time I greased the driveline, they are there only as a safety precaution, not that you are gonna stick your fingers in there when the pto shaft is rotating....lol

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Is this an issue....after I finished cutting field today, disengaged PTO on Landpride brush cutter and raised deck Parked & shut down tractor. Got off, removed ear plugs and noticed a clicking sound coming from mower gear box as blades were slowly coming to a stop.

Grear box was warm, but not overly hot. Popped open the two side covers on plastic shroud to inspect things. U-joint seems good, as does the bolt through the gear box shaft holding the yoke. Manually spinning the blades just few RPMs produces this sound...a rhythmic clicking.

I have never noticed this before, but then again I have never spun the blades with mower detached or with mower mounted and tractor not running.

Now, about 3 weeks ago I hit a good sized stump (at a very slow speed) and it darn near killed the engine. Not stopping, I quickly raised deck. Was out of balance very briefly but smoothed out after few seconds. Attributed that to a blade being stuck until centrifugal force slung it back. later inspection showed no sign of damage. Even today I looked things over again while doing a quick sharpening with the grinder, all looked good and mowed 2+ hours running smooth.

What do you folks think? An issue or just normal?
Agree with Flip.

Most likely a branch or similar is stuck underneath the deck, perhaps above the stump jumper, clicking on a blade or bolt as the mechanism rotates. If so, it will dislodge shortly.

Pay attention to it the next time you use it and inspect more closely if it does not self correct.

SDT

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
Flip & SDT....I concur that it's likely nothing to worry about. Tonight I popped off the round rubber plug that allows access to blade bolts. Looked & felt around to the extent the hole allows. Other than dust and clippings, no twigs or sticks. Will keep an eye/ear on it next couple uses.

Rooster Cogburn, it's an L3301. And you are right, I need to update my profile.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you are really daring, put yourself a cinder block under the tailwheel end (with the cutter raised) and have a look see underneath. I do that all the time actually with my big Landprde flat chopper. The bat wing folds up so peering under it isn't necessary.

I could never figure out what the plastic windows were for so I lost them right away.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you are really daring, put yourself a cinder block under the tailwheel end (with the cutter raised) and have a look see underneath. I do that all the time actually with my big Landprde flat chopper. The bat wing folds up so peering under it isn't necessary.

I could never figure out what the plastic windows were for so I lost them right away.
This is foolish and dangerous. One would think someone who farms and know all things, by his post on this forum, would have better sense then to post such advise. Do NOT ever use cinder block to hold anything a person might be under. Always use hard wood for cribbing.

Oh I know, he'll come back with some excuse as to what he meant.

Don't post dangerous ideas that could get someone hurt/killed.

Reactions: 2 users

Jim Dandy

Equipment
L245DT W/Loader M8030DT L275DT

Flip - Cinder blocks are for building. They have no place around equipment. This is the kind of advice that will get someone hurt. Please think before you speak. As D-2 said always hard wood or heavy duty jack stand. we always have time to do it safely. James

Reactions: 1 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
This is foolish and dangerous. One would think someone who farms and know all things, by his post on this forum, would have better sense then to post such advise. Do NOT ever use cinder block to hold anything a person might be under. Always use hard wood for cribbing.

Oh I know, he'll come back with some excuse as to what he meant.

Don't post dangerous ideas that could get someone hurt/killed.
Whatever. What I do and what you do aren't the same and when I have it lofted, it's on my 3 PH anyway and it don't leak down.

Maybe I should have suggested using a Harbor Freight jackstand... duh.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip - Cinder blocks are for building. They have no place around equipment. This is the kind of advice that will get someone hurt. Please think before you speak. As D-2 said always hard wood or heavy duty jack stand. we always have time to do it safely. James

I agree. Just stating what I use. What you use can be something else. Nothing more.

I do get a charge out of how people take everything literally when it comes to what someone does but are perfectly willing to stretch the envelope themselves when convenient.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Whatever. What I do and what you do aren't the same and when I have it lofted, it's on my 3 PH anyway and it don't leak down.

Maybe I should have suggested using a Harbor Freight jackstand... duh.
I don't care what you use. This is a public forum and making comments like you did can be dangerous to anyone now or in the future. Why can't you have any consideration for others? And you always have to make a smart assed remark if someone doesn't line up 100% with your thinking!

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I don't care what you use. This is a public forum and making comments like you did can be dangerous to anyone now or in the future. Why can't you have any consideration for others? And you always have to make a smart assed remark if someone doesn't line up 100% with your thinking!
You need to do something constructive like go play in traffic. I'm done here.

I didn't make a smart assed comment. You did. I replied. Get a life for God sakes.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

Why do you time and time again post dangerous and usually incorrect information on here? A cinderblock is very brittle when used as a prop and someone could get killed when they crumble.
People come here for advice and you spout off your half baked smart ass misinformation.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I’m really feeling the Love here now...

Fip writes like he probably speaks...with a cavalier or jaunty tone... I”m sure he only meant to be helpful and didn’t intend harmful techniques to anyone... However it is TRUE that construction-blocks or “cinder” blocks are brittle and can suddenly collapse to Dust and drop equipment. Don’t use them in a safety situation.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
George... Maybe I should have said, use a Harbor Freight Jackstand instead... One of the recalled ones.... :p

I always 'feel the love' from a select group of posters on here. Like they have nothing better to do with their time but be critical, not that they NEVER do or say anything stupid.

I gloss over that stuff and carry on.

I have a few on ingnore. That way I don't have to read their drivel.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Besides, I have 'high tensile' cinder blocks. Bit more expensive but never crumble.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Besides, I have 'high tensile' cinder blocks. Bit more expensive but never crumble.
FWIW: Flip, I have no aversion to the use of cinder blocks for support so long as one positions such properly, and have done so for decades.

As is always the case, one should use common sense, which is certainly not common.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
FWIW: Flip, I have no aversion to the use of cinder blocks for support so long as one positions such properly, and have done so for decades.

As is always the case, one should use common sense, which is certainly not common.

SDT

Be careful or you too will get the 'correct police' on your case.... :rolleyes:

Actually, I set the flat chopper on 2 cinder blocks when it's off the tractor. The blocks put the cutter at just the right height to hook up easily.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I believe that, while “social” camaraderie is certainly a part of forums... that any information offered in the way of technique or recommendations ...should be carefully considered by the contributor. If a contributor doesn’t know their recommendation is dangerous, it’s certainly apropos for another participant to issue a caution about it. After-all... forums are “group-knowlege” shared.

I wish everyone would be polite about it. But the internet somehow gives participants the feeling they can insult and maim others with impunity .... In actuality, it only shows what malevolence can exist in a person and that is more a reflection on THEM than the one who supplied bad info. (It amazes me the number of people who profess their Christianity when it suits them but ignore it’s precepts when angered.)

We can all be better than that and it’s never wrong to apologize or edit one’s own harmful words.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Exactly George. We have a nice relationship on here, you poke, I poke back and we all smile.

Problem is, people like to play 'Keyboard Rambo'. That is where the issues start and when I have to resort to the ignore feature.

Nice thing about the new forum is, when I have someone on ignore, it completely expunges them from my view pane 100%.

Fine with me.