Clearing land with my Kubota BX

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Hey guys made this video yesterday, it’s been awhile since I posted to this forum as life has just been hectic during this pandemic.

I hope you all are staying safe! Virus or not, at least we can all still go outside and have fun on our equipment to escape for awhile!

LINK:
https://youtu.be/AXKcnJw3VmI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
nice video, they are tough lil machines...
if you're going to do more 'land clearing' consider making a 'pirana tooth bar'. real ones are $$$$$, but $20 of steel and 2 hrs ,you can make a reasonable 'clone'. I did the same stuff, took out 120' of 40 year old cedar 'hedge'...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Think I'd make my next 'project' a wider door.......:D

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Thanks for sharing the video.

Yes from what I understand a Piranha Tooth Bar will help a lot with that type work. I just ordered mine (58") for my B2650 and yes they are spendy but I'm confident it will make a huge difference. I first ordered a Titan hard edge but it was huge and heavy so I'll put it in my 75hp Deutz-Alli.
Yes you could make one but it wold be some work to get it like the Piranha with all the V and blade cuts they have.

I definitely advise a hard edge of some sort doing that kind of work as it's guaranteed as good as day and night you will bend the thin weak edge that comes stock by clearing/digging, one fair hit on a rock or stump will do it.

Also a good box scraper with rippers works wonders for clearing and leveling to make a nice clean area behind. Just ripped up a section of my driveway full of dips and 3" all a mess to make nice base for a load of 3/4"-. Turned out great! (yeah I was lazy and left the mower on but did fine)

Attachments

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You might want to consider some type of protection for your HST cooling fan, if you do not already have it.

One stick can strip the blades off that plastic fan. Many posts here/TBN about this happening.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Youre doing the same type of work I am on my property atm with my L2501. The only difference is my woods are much much thicker, so Im having to use chainsaw and a root rake on the front. I love my root rake. Its so much better than a bucket for this type of stuff. It has a wide opening, long curved tines, and is great at pushing into tree tops and limbs and pushing them into piles to burn.

As the last poster said, BX's have a little plastic fan on the HST that seems to break super easy if not protected - an its a PAIN to repair from what I've seen. I would 100% stop all work until you get a guard for this fan if you don't have it yet.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
My BX23S is 2 years old and HAS a factory installed guard. It's a formed piece of powder coated steel attached by 4 nuts and bolts. Since my tractor is based on the BX2380, I 'think' the guard should bolt right on ??
Going to a 'parts' website and looking it up should be 'easy'.....

Jay

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I did similar work with my previous tractor BX2370, cleared a road and area for pole barn very thick growth of popples, I could push most over with a few rams of the bucket, we have sandy soil. The tractor is a workhorse!
I did blow my bucket tilt ram digging up a stump and not any larger than the ones you dug in the video.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Can not believe anyone who would try to clear land with a bx.
Perhaps this is only an unfortunate choice of words... But if you meant to say “I cannot believe someone would try to clear land with a bx”.... that is quite different than saying you cannot believe anyone “who” would ...

The first statement either implies amazement over the usefulness of the tool....or amazement over the person’s choice of the tool.

The way you said it, that you wouldn’t believe...”anyone who”... Personalizes your disbelief to imply the person is unworthy of belief and is disparaging of his character. I hope you did not mean that.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Perhaps this is only an unfortunate choice of words... But if you meant to say ***8220;I cannot believe someone would try to clear land with a bx***8221;.... that is quite different than saying you cannot believe anyone ***8220;who***8221; would ...

The first statement either implies amazement over the usefulness of the tool....or amazement over the person***8217;s choice of the tool.

The way you said it, that you wouldn***8217;t believe...***8221;anyone who***8221;... Personalizes your disbelief to imply the person is unworthy of belief and is disparaging of his character. I hope you did not mean that.
Could you please critique the statement- "Shut the hell up" thank you.:D

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Could you please critique the statement- "Shut the hell up" thank you.:D
The internet makes some people feel pretty brave to show their azzes. Maybe Maine is even so-distant to add to that sense of security. I doubt you’d be that impolite in-person... but at least we now know your real self.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
The internet makes some people feel pretty brave to show their azzes. Maybe Maine is even so-distant to add to that sense of security. I doubt you***8217;d be that impolite in-person... but at least we now know your real self.
You were pulling some grammar nazi crap above in post 13, you got called out on it in a funny way. Get over it. Dont be so sensitive.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: Can not believe anyone who would try to clear land with a bx.

really ? Use what you got, don't ABUSE it, and the job will get done. BTDT.

I spent a long weekend with a CJ-5 making trails and levelling 2 acres of land 40+ years ago, didn't have a tractor back then.

I've impressed myself with what my BX23S CAN do though I only have 300hrs on it in 2 years,...one day, maybe, I'll install the BNIB 3PH kit. I KNOW it won't run the 5' tiller ,but I have othe rimplements I'd like to pair up with it.One day...maybe....

If you have access to 'bigger,better' machines for doing a job that's OK too, but there's always a trade off cost....time, fuel, ugh---breakdowns $$$$

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Can not believe anyone who would try to clear land with a bx.
I really dont want to get into a fray about one or the other being large enough to do something. Should you look around you will find the BX is used for a ton of stuff, I used mine to clear about 3 acre field of wild rose and I used the MMM was it fast nope did it work yup, I use mine to haul wood cut and logs out of the woods. Is it the idea machine for a lot of things , maybe not but it works and if you take your time think about what you are doing,, yeah you can to it with a BX. Might not be the best choice, however, a man uses what he has