My Z121S Died On The Way To The Barn

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I had been cutting for about an hour and was headed back to the barn when it just died.

At first I thought it was maybe not getting fuel. Checked and plenty of fuel all the way to the carburetor.

It only has 49 hours and all regular maintenance has been performed on time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Timmer92

Equipment
2019 L3901 (former - BX2370), 72" Brush Hog, 72" Hydraulic Snow Blade, 3pt Auger
Dec 4, 2019
Minnesota
What's the behavior when you try to start it? I assume it turns over? Getting spark? (this is the end of my mechanical skills btw)

I had a Craftsman lawnmower that did the same thing after a few hours of use. I bypassed the seat safety system and it solved the problem until I could get it in for warranty repair.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mikeyd, Have you had your unit checked for recalls?

My unit (same model) went in for recalls this winter. There were four of them. 3 were safety switches (brake, nuetral position, and seat if I remember correctly). Dealer didn't give me a receipt showing the work done on the machine so I can't verify it.

The fourth one was for the spring on the belt tensioner for the mower deck.

The last one kinda ticked me off. I had just replaced the deck belt just before I dropped the machine off to the dealer. Apparently the recall replaces the tensioner spring and the belt. They kept my "new" belt to send in to corporate.

I had the blasted old belt in the bottom of the trash drum in my garage. If they had said something I would have brought them the old belt to send in for the warranty claim.

After they did the work, my unit ran and worked semi decent, but developed an issue where it would shut down after setting the parking brake and you go to get off the seat. They narrowed that down to the PTO switch. Apparently Kubota had a run on the PTO switch, since my unit sat at the dealer for 2 months waiting for the switch to come in from back order.

Dealer said they "found a free one" when they moved to a new location. I'm thinking they robbed Peter to pay Paul so the service manager could get me off his back. I had run out of patience due to lack of communication from the service manager.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
No, I haven't checked for recalls. I thought that they were suppose to notify you of a recall?

Where did you find out about them?

Yes, it cranks but won't even try to start.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Lug bolt had posted about the recalls on here.

I called the dealership and gave them my serial number. I never received a notice either about the recalls.

Your unit has a warranty on it as well. So if the issue doesn't appear to be foolish and simple, let the dealer handle it :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I had been cutting for about an hour and was headed back to the barn when it just died.

At first I thought it was maybe not getting fuel. Checked and plenty of fuel all the way to the carburetor.

It only has 49 hours and all regular maintenance has been performed on time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Start by checking all your safety interlock switches. The seat is a good place to start.

Does it crank and not start or no crank and no start?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Yes it cranks and no start.

That is why I didn't check the safety switches.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I wanted to give a follow up since I finally got my ZTR back from the dealer.

When I called the dealer, he checked and said to bring it in so that they could complete all the campaigns/recalls on it.

When I picked it up, the service guy stated that before they started putting the filter on the fuel line from the fuel tank, they would get the same problem I had every 2 or 3 days. He said that it shouldn't happen again.

I just wish that it hadn't taken so long to get it back, 4 weeks, but when I went to get it, they had problems finding it because they had so many there that they had just repaired.