Loader Operation

xreadx

Equipment
L3301 & LA525 Loader
Mar 5, 2020
Orange TX
I am unsure if this is per design or if this is a issue. This really frustrates me as I have almost flipped my tractor several times because of this. When raising the loader the hydros run normal speed. When you push lever to lower load speed runs normal but if you push all the way *Sometimes* it goes half speed, the speed is as quick as if you were to shut off the tractor and lower the hydraulics. :confused: Here is a video of the issue.

To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:rolleyes:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'all the way forward' generally will be the 'float' position/operation. Float allows the bucket/loader to follow the contour of the land. You should NOT use it to lower a loaded bucket !
As for flipping the tractor, that implies you have NO ballast or weight on the rear, you NEED extra weight to counteract the full bucket....

Reactions: 1 user

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Sounds like you're putting it in float and what's happening is normal. I'd say learn to feather the controls and this problem will go away.

xreadx

Equipment
L3301 & LA525 Loader
Mar 5, 2020
Orange TX
Sounds like you're putting it in float and what's happening is normal. I'd say learn to feather the controls and this problem will go away.
I don't typically plan a awe sh*t moment. But when I want that bucked down ASAP Kubota has made that impossible by this Float function as you call it. There should be another lever to allow the bucket to float besides pushing the stick all the way up.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I don't typically plan a awe sh*t moment. But when I want that bucked down ASAP Kubota has made that impossible by this Float function as you call it. There should be another lever to allow the bucket to float besides pushing the stick all the way up.
Welcome to the forums!

I have to disagree. The float function has been on loaders for decades and for good reason, it is a really good feature. I find the method integral to the operation of the loader.

Good ballast should help with the pucker factor. More practice will take care of the rest.

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
What Kubota should do .... is require owners to read the manual before handing over the keys. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
What Kubota should do .... is require owners to read the manual before handing over the keys. ;)
I have and until I put my butt in the seat it means nothing. I have run different loaders and skid steers along with farm tractors. I understand how to load them etc. The problem with just reading about something is, if you have no reference to what it is talking about it really don't mean a thing.

After you play a bit and ask questions from forums you have references to say aw that is what is happening. Not trying to bash you just giving my thoughts on your response.

Have a great day
Mike

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
xreadx, do you have rear ballast weight ? … loaded rear tires and/or wheel weights or ballast box ?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I was going to post just about what Geo said. Once the owner understands the function of the hyd. loader valve, there is no problem.

Operator needs to practice using the loader valve. Simple answer is discover the two positions when pushing the valve to the forward position. Once the amount of resistance is felt between the two positions the bucket won"t slam down, unless pushed too far forward.

If there is a problem with the function of the valve, the valve will need to be disassembled to determine the problem, with diet, rust, or broken spring.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have and until I put my butt in the seat it means nothing. I have run different loaders and skid steers along with farm tractors. I understand how to load them etc. The problem with just reading about something is, if you have no reference to what it is talking about it really don't mean a thing.

After you play a bit and ask questions from forums you have references to say aw that is what is happening. Not trying to bash you just giving my thoughts on your response.

Have a great day
Mike
It’s true that some people are visual-learners only. Reading tech manuals is a hobby of mine. (However, I’ve fallen victim to fake online manuals recently, so it’s important to get the genuine article.). Most new-tractor dealers are good about familiarizing new owners but the used-tractor market is a cra*-shoot.

First time I moved to the country and tried to use a FEL on a JD the elderly owner asked me to put out some round-bales. Ignorant me (despite having passed college physics) was playing with raising a round bale to see how high the FEL could lift. :eek:

Thankfully, the owner waved his arms in warning and ‘splained how that can result. :embarrassed:

Ignorance is not the same as stupidity, but it can allow stupid actions to occur.. Tractors are not playthings.... even tho’ they can be fun to operate.... or not. :(

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
Just a thought. Maybe his de-dent is not working or is very weak. On my Kubota, it takes some force to get the bucket into float. Not something I can do easily by lowering or raising the bucket.

Reactions: 1 users

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
I live just outside of Orange in Orangefield.If you need some help or advice with your tractor(I assume yours is brand new) let me know.I have an L2501 I've been working for a year now and have no trouble with the float function.Am curious if something is wrong with yours.Also you might call Beaumont Tractor to see if there's a problem.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I will throw a curve ball into the conversation:

MAybe the loader is not attached to the hydraulics correctly.

I have worked with a couple of operators (yes two different operators and tractors) that were having a bear of a time running their loaders only to find that the controls were completely backwards! :eek:
What would have normally been up was down on one.
The other dump and lift were swapped.

So verify that the loader controls are working correctly for the direction of control movement! ;)

Also new loader controllers need a little time for the detents to wear in to get rid of the jerky feel, if it still an issue over time, have someone else that runs smaller tractor loaders try it, as it could be an issue with the controller not actually working right, it does happen.

If you don't have loaded tires and or ballast on the back, you're also fighting a losing battle as it needs the weight to operate predictably and easily.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
It’s true that some people are visual-learners only. Reading tech manuals is a hobby of mine. (However, I’ve fallen victim to fake online manuals recently, so it’s important to get the genuine article.). Most new-tractor dealers are good about familiarizing new owners but the used-tractor market is a cra*-shoot.

First time I moved to the country and tried to use a FEL on a JD the elderly owner asked me to put out some round-bales. Ignorant me (despite having passed college physics) was playing with raising a round bale to see how high the FEL could lift. :eek:

Thankfully, the owner waved his arms in warning and ‘splained how that can result. :embarrassed:

Ignorance is not the same as stupidity, but it can allow stupid actions to occur.. Tractors are not playthings.... even tho’ they can be fun to operate.... or not. :(

First time I ran a Bobcat and almost rolled it I learned quickly to only lift as much as needed not all the way up because it looked cool. Pucker factor was high on that one.

My dealer did not show me anything about my BX2380. I looked in the book and tried to figure things out on my own..After two shear pins on my pto driven wood chipper, I found this forum and figured out what I was doing wrong. I have driven a lot of loaders but never had any experience with the 3 point or PTO. I am still trying to get used to them. So far I have replaced a turnbuckle because I bent it and the shear pins.

I will get it figured out.

Mike

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Common Sense is an oxymoron. That applies to operating machinery.

Ive always believed that before anyone gets a car license they should be forced to learn to operate a motorcycle, school bus, and semi-tractor-trailer. Forces people to appreciate other drivers on the road and understand their limitations.

Some people simply should not be allowed to operate motorized vehicles.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

Ive always believed that before anyone gets a car license they should be forced to learn to operate a motorcycle, school bus, and semi-tractor-trailer. Forces people to appreciate other drivers on the road and understand their limitations.

Not at all helpful. Your post is very insulting.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Adding ballast can not be overstated. I was amazed at what a difference it made when lowering the bucket with weight. Much much smoother!

xreadx

Equipment
L3301 & LA525 Loader
Mar 5, 2020
Orange TX

So it's been a few years since this post and this float feature is still trash. Why not add a lever for those who want to use the float function. Instead of bridging it into the let down load function. If I want to drop the load, I want to drop the load. (Let the operator control the speed). I try to speed up the dropping of the load and its overridden by the trash float feature which takes over and slowly drops load exactly what I don't want. All the condescending comments on here about reading the manual or learning to feather the controls... It's a trash feature and quite dangerous to apply it to the lowering of the loader unless in separate location. I have since filled my rear tires with water which helped a bunch. I use this tractor to 110% of it's capibilities. Remember safety 3rd.

-Read

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Just a thought. Maybe his de-dent is not working or is very weak. On my Kubota, it takes some force to get the bucket into float. Not something I can do easily by lowering or raising the bucket.
Yes, my thought too. My float indent takes a good shove to POP into float, and back again too. Because of that it's function and usefulness became readily apparent to me through operating it. If the transition to float were at all vague at the control lever, that would be a problem needing attention.