Pin-On bucket vs SSQA on a BX23s what would you do?

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
I really wanted the SSQA when I purchased my BX23s last year..... But my dealer did not have one in stock..... They had (2) BX23s in stock both were pin-on buckets.... One was new and one was 3 months old with 10 hours on it and $1,800 less than the new one..... I purchased the used one ;)
At the time a BX23s with the SSQA was just a little over a $500 option.
Today I got prices to convert my Pin-on to a SSQA
SSQA is $434
New Bucket $411
Total $844

Now here is basically what I know about the difference between the Pin-on Bucket and the SSQA bucket (aside from the obvious)
Pin-on bucket configuration is about 80 lbs lighter
Pin-on bucket is about 2" shorter in total length

What I really want a SSQA for is a "real set" of Pallet forks.... land pride PFL1242 $700 42" tines and weighs 228 lbs, or AI2's pallet forks for the 80 series $975 + ship 36" tines and weighs 180lbs. Other option would be from Everything Attachments.

I can order from BXExpanded a set of lightweight pair of "Quick On Pallet/Brush Forks" that would work most of the time without taking off the Piranha toothbar..... This lightweight option is $300 + about $35 shipping and would probably work for almost anything the little BX could lift anyways.

The only other attachment that I can think I would want is a Grapple but that would involve a 3rd function..... By the time that gets installed along with the grapple..... I don't think I would use it enough to justify the price.

So basically, I can get some semi-workable pallet forks installed on my BX for about $335
Or get a real set of forks and have my tractor upgraded for $1,200 to 1,500+

How may BX owners that have the SSQA and use it ?????
(sorry for the long winded post !!)

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I bought my BX23S last year, now has 162.5 hrs on it. I could have gotten a 47 hr BX25 for $5000 less but had a pin on bucket.
The SSQA is what I wanted. Recently bought the HLA 900# pallet fork unit. That works very well, AFTER you learn to be s-l-o-w on the joytstick !
I'm currently making a selfpowered SSQA 48" snowblower, so I can sell off my garden tractor/snowblower unit...one less thing to maintain and store...
I made a pin style forklift unit for my A-C D-14. Works fine but a BEAR to unpin the bucket,pinon the fork and do that in reverse when done.
Forks bolted to a bucket aren't a great idea..too far out and less capacity.
Now another option might be a 3pt pallet fork unit. I made one for the D-14 and was amazed at it's weight lifting ability, not high, but everything's on skids here.
Jay

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have a B7100, not a BX but for what it's worth, I love the SSQA. I regularly swap between 2 different buckets, a set of lightweight forks and a hitch receiver. It takes less than a minute to swap things out.

OTOH, $850 is a lot of money for the convenience. Only you can decide if you will be swapping things around often enough to make it worthwhile.

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
If I were you I would just buy the quick attach and pallet forks from AI2. The AI2 quick attach is lighter than the Kubota SSQA and the pallet forks are lighter as well (161 lbs)

It works with your current bucket as well so no modification needed.

Tony has a YouTube video showing his quick attach connecting to an 80 series, think it cost like 30 more for a part that works with the stand on the 80 series.
The pallet forks are like 875, so for around 1300 or so you’re all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flogler

Equipment
2017 BX23s
Dec 18, 2019
Debary, FL. USA
I have brand new pin on redline forks and backrest for my bx23s. Never used and I won't need them. I'm interested in though a pinned on grapple.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have brand new pin on redline forks and backrest for my bx23s. Never used and I won't need them. I'm interested in though a pinned on grapple.
Your chances of finding a pinned on grapple are getting slim, as almost all newly available equipment has gone to SSQA style of attachment. :(

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I have it. Wont go without it again... Im aware it lowers the lift capacity, but I didnt buy a BX for its loader capacity...

I made my own 60 inch snow pusher, and forks. Fabbed up a quick jib boom for setting trusses for my Father In Law.

busterja21

Oct 12, 2019
colorado
I used clamp on forks for a while, problem I had is if you need to drag something (e.g lift one end and drag), the forks would come off the bucket if not clamped down really tight, seems like bxexpanded would rotate away from the bucket if used this way. If all you want is to lift up and move, maybe they'd work ok.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I would go with pin on, IMO, the BX doesn’t have enough capacity for SSQA, SSQA eats too much of it’s capacity.

If you really need SSQA for pallet forks, or other stuff you probably need a bigger machine anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I wouldn’t add a grapple either for same reason. If you need a grapple, you need a bigger machine. I think anyway.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The thing weighs 50 pounds. If 50 pounds is going to make or break a load....

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I just purchased a set of the PFL1242 pallet forks for $580 out the door. No shipping issues involved like all the other ones.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
The thing weighs 50 pounds. If 50 pounds is going to make or break a load....

look at the specs, the loader looses 126lbs capacity at the pins with the SSQA. That’s a big percentage for a BX. In addition to the weight, the SSAQ moves the pins foreword, that reduces performance.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
when i measured the pin difference from the EA plate it was something less than or around an inch from the pin on the bucket itself. not sure what that translates into. But i havent found a practical difference (loads of top soil ect). the convenience (to me) far out weighs the already limited capacity of the bx.
ymmv.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I know several that have the SSQA and a grapple, they get quite a bit done with them.

The total loss in lift capacity is less than what the specs say they should be.

One thing about most grapple use is that the weight is held close to back so no real weight out further like a bucket or forks.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Do they still offer the Kubota style QA? That's what I put on my L and I would take that style 10 to 1 over SSQA.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Should you get SSQA is a personal question that only you can answer.

If you have smooth concrete floors to help with pin alignment and only change implements once in a while then SSQA might be more of a nice to have than a need to have.

I typically switch front implements several times a day so pin on is a no go for me. I’m tempted to go hydraulically activated SSQA but I still have to get off the tractor to hook up the front remotes. The only time Id save is swapping the bucket.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I don’t disagree with what anyone says here it’s a personal choice. But the OP asked, what would you do. I only need to use the bucket and sometimes with bolt on extensions, so easy choice.

If you have space you could get 2 loaders, one pin on and one SSQA, and if you’re switching mostly between 2 things you don’t need to get off the tractor.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I bought my BX23 last year and went SSQA loader and added the Kubota forks and frame. Be aware that the lift capacity with forks is very limited. I haven't measured my pressure from the factory yet but I can only get about 3 layers of brick on a pallet to lift high enough to stack pallets. I have a lot of pallets with thin layers stacked on top of each other, but the limited capacity is a factor to consider.