Buying a Kubota tractor and building a Camp

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
2011 BX25D, Bro-Tek Skid Plates, Bxpanded Tooth Bar & Toolbox, LED Headlights
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
This multi page post originally started out in the "Buying Advice & Pricing" section in 2019.
Soon after purchasing the Kubota BX, it soon evolved into Camp Building.
At that time the "Projects" section had not yet been created.
I asked Moderator North Idaho Wolfman to move this post out of "Buying Advice & Pricing" and into
the "Projects" section. Also at my request, he graciously merged my post on building a new rear Ballast Barrel for the BX25 into my original post so I would have only one post running in "Projects".
My original post also got a title change at my request.
North Idaho Wolfman, Thank You!

GOT IT! - 2011 BX25D (with pics at bottom of 1st post)

New Member here!

I have an opportunity to purchase a 2011 Kubota BX25D (loader / backhoe) with about 450 hours on it. It's from a close family member. He bought the machine new. Father-in-law equivalent is aging and feels he has all of his projects completed.

The machine has had all the recommended maintenance per manual and has been used exclusively for light residential work. Tractor has R4 tires with good tread. I've seen the machine work, nothing needed for repairs.

He's asking $10,500 for the tractor and $750 for the trailer he has used for moving the tractor. (no implements included other than the loader / backhoe)

The trailer is a 5' or 6' wide by 12' long, single axle, Carry-On brand landscape trailer with rear ramp. (no brakes & 15" tires, plank floor)
I believe the trailer is rated for 5500 GVWR.
The trailer will need a few new lights and some wiring issues corrected which I am capable of doing myself.

Father-in-law equivalent selling the BX25D to me means he could still borrow it if needed, he is an experienced heavy equipment operator.
(and give me some lessons LOL)

Q # 1. What do you think about the prices ?

I own a 70 acre parcel of rural property used for growing timber and outdoor recreation. There is six or so acres of fields that will need periodic mowing, the normal property upkeep / improvements with loader / backhoe, and some light plowing for hunting food plots. I plan on storing the tractor at the rural property during the non-snow seasons in a secure steel shipping container equipped with electricity for a battery tender. The rural property is about a half hour driving time away from my residence. (lots of hills between residence and rural property)

During winter I plan on having the tractor at my residence (garaged) for snow removal. Several hundred feet of blacktop driveway.

I have looked at new Kubota B2650 tractors and have gotten quotes.

The used BX25D is about 1/3 the cost of the new B2650 with loader/backhoe.

Naturally, saving money is a goal.
I understand the B2650 is a much more capable machine but am I wrong thinking that the BX25D will do what I need? And I understand that doing the work with the BX25D will be slower and smaller bites of dirt / brush / snow.

Q # 2. Will the BX25D do what I want?

I have been looking at / pricing implements.
How about some recommendations for rotary brush cutter, snowblower, plow.

Q # 3. What is the widest rotary brush cutter that should go on the BX25D?
Brands best to purchase?

Q # 4. What is the widest 3 point hitch rear mount snowblower that should be
used for the BX25D?
Brands best to purchase?

Q # 5. What do I need for the food plots? One bottom plow? Small disk
harrow?
Other?
Brands best to purchase?

If I go with the BX25D, I believe I can tow the rig with my existing vehicle.
(Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door, 6 speed manual trans, 4.10 gears, frame hitch)
If I choose a B2650 I will need a different tow vehicle and trailer.
Regardless of BX25D vs: B2650, I will need at least the above three implements.

I've been a lurker here for a while and have read most of the BX25D and B2650 threads. If I go with the BX25D choice, I already know I need some under-tractor armor / skid plates and steering cylinder protection.

Please help me decide and some good implement advice!

Edited: 06/15/19
Brought the BX25D home today!
The Jeep Wrangler handled the trip from the sellers location using the new double axle trailer without issues. Next time I load the Kubota on the trailer it will be about six inches further to the rear. It was a touch tongue heavy today.
The trailer is a 14 foot CAM Superline, it has brakes on both axles.
I did not purchase the sellers single axle trailer so I saved some cash for implements. I'm officially a Kubota owner today!
We had our real estate closing back in the end of May so the garage/shop is officially ours also. I didn't want to move the shop equipment ever again.
Sorry about the crappy outside photos. The cell phone pictures are sharp & clear, the fancy camera photos not so much...

IMG_20190511_141058847_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
IMG_20190511_141138603_HDR by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
IMG_20190615_133008287 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
IMG_20190615_133049359 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
IMG_20190615_133101317 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
IMG_20190615_140400444 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr
MVIMG_20190615_140349893 by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
New Member here!

I have a opportunity to purchase a 2011 Kubota BX25D (loader/backhoe) with about 450 hours on it. It's from a close family member. He bought the machine new. Father-in-law equivalent is aging and feels he has all of his projects completed.

The machine has had all the recommended maintenance per manual and has been used exclusively for light residential work. Tractor has R4 tires with good tread. I've seen the machine work, nothing needed for repairs.

He's asking $10,500 for the tractor and $750 for the trailer he has used for moving the tractor. (no implements included other than the loader / backhoe)

The trailer is a 5' or 6' wide by 12' long, single axle, Carry-On brand landscape trailer with rear ramp. (no brakes & 15" tires, plank floor)
The trailer will need a few new lights and some wiring issues corrected which I am capable of doing myself.

Father-in-law equivalent selling the BX25D to me means he could still borrow it if needed, he is an experienced heavy equipment operator.
(and give me some lessons LOL)

Q # 1. What do you think about the prices ?

I own a 70 acre parcel of rural property used for growing timber and outdoor recreation. There is six or so acres of fields that will need periodic mowing, the normal property upkeep / improvements with loader / backhoe, and some light plowing for hunting food plots. I plan on storing the tractor at the rural property during the non-snow seasons in a secure steel shipping container equipped with electricity for a battery tender. The rural property is about a half hour driving time away from my residence. (lots of hills between residence and rural property)

During winter I plan on having the tractor at my residence (garaged) for snow removal. Several hundred feet of blacktop driveway.

I have looked at new Kubota B2650 tractors and have gotten quotes.

The used BX25D is about 1/3 the cost of the new B2650 with loader/backhoe.

Naturally, saving money is a goal.
I understand the B2650 is a much more capable machine but am I wrong thinking that the BX25D will do what I need? And I understand that doing the work with the BX25D will be slower and smaller bites of dirt / brush / snow.

Q # 2. Will the BX25D do what I want?

I have been looking at / pricing implements.
How about some recommendations for rotary brush cutter, snowblower, plow.

Q # 3. What is the widest rotary brush cutter that should go on the BX25D?
Brands best to purchase?

Q # 4. What is the widest 3 point hitch rear mount snowblower that should be
used for the BX25D?
Brands best to purchase?

Q # 5. What do I need for the food plots? One bottom plow? Small disk
harrow?
Other?
Brands best to purchase?

If I go with the BX25D, I believe I can tow the rig with my existing vehicle.
(Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2 door, manual trans, 4.10 gears)
If I choose a B2650 I will need a different tow vehicle and trailer.
Regardless of BX25D vs: B2650, I will need at least the above three implements.

I've been a lurker here for a while and have read most of the BX25D and B2650 threads. If I go with the BX25D choice, I already know I need some under-tractor armor / skid plates and steering cylinder protection.

Please help me decide and some good implement advice!
Heed this.....

Q1 buy both ............ now! THAT is a bargain

Q2 Yes.....not as capable as the B....but dont let the BX fool you....it is a hellva lot more than an over stuffed lawnmower!

Q3 48"...... anything you find that suits your needs

Q4 42" ---- not sure you can do a 48" - others might say so

Q5 you nailed it;)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
More likely 3500lbs at most.

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
Looking at the Carry-On brand trailer website, if it's 5.5' or 6' wide and 10" to 14' long, that sized "group" of landscape / utility trailer is rated at 2990 GVWR.
Anything landscape / utility made by them, single axle in the sizes above, and ST205x15 tire and wheels appears to be 2990 GVWR rated.
Looks like the trailer capacity is just over 2000 lbs.
Is that enough trailer for the BX25D?
(with loader / backhoe attached, tires are not loaded)
Anybody ever put their BX25D on a scale?
How much do they weigh?
Is the 2990 GVWR some DOT regulation because of no trailer brakes?

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
You better go buy it tonight! That's a good deal. As far as the trailer, it's really to small, those machines are about 16'. That trailer has 3500lb axle, I'm guessing the weight of the trailer is about 700lbs. That leaves you with about 2800lb capacity which is pretty close to what the BX25D weighs.

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
Yikes! The machine weighs about 2700 per the internet with loader / backhoe attached.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok. You're not going to like this, but I would have to disagree. I don't think anything is sized correctly for your needs. And by that I mean:

1) too small of a tractor for your needs
2) the machine is too heavy for the trailer and for your tow vehicle (especially one without trailer brakes, and short wheel base tow vehicle)
3) that trailer seems awfully short to get the load balanced correctly over a single axle.

There was a recent post several months ago about someone with a similar setup (although, it may have been a jeep cherokee) that was towing a similarly sized tow rig and tractor....and it didn't end well. That poster put his machine back together piece by piece. He was lucky no one was killed or seriously injured, other than the tractor.

Don't mean to bust your bubble. I understand your excitement, but I don't think the "package" would suit you well.

Anyway, don't let me spoil your excitement. I had a BX23 (precursor to BX25) for 12 years. They are great workhorses, but may not be well suited to the size of the tasks you have on hand.

Best of luck in your decision.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The B2650 would obviously be better, as would a bigger truck and trailer. And a lot more expensive.

The BX25D plus that trailer combo will work if you're careful. They'll let you learn what you do or don't need, and do all the work you talk about, albeit slowly.

But there's no way you could lose money on it. If you buy it now, use it for 2 years, then decide you need a bigger machine, you can sell or trade for what you're paying. And your father-out-law could borrow the new bigger machine from you.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If you were planning to pay 3x the price for a B series, then you can look at it that the savings will pay for a properly sized trailer (with brakes). Then fix the wiring on the little trailer and sell it to help off set the cost further.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
The tractor is a little small for some of the tasks you describe, but if you're willing to take small bites it would do the job. However as said, hauling a BX25 on a trailer like that would be unsafe IMO.

The price though is excellent, at least in my region.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
hauling a BX25 on a trailer like that would be unsafe IMO
To me safety is always context dependent. Unsafe at highway speeds and not taking care. Probably safe at 30mph and driving extra carefully, particularly if you're moving it twice a year - once to home, once back to rural block. And I assume his father-out-law currently moves the tractor on that trailer, so I also presume he has a good feel for how safe or otherwise it is today.

Would a bigger trailer be nice? Yes. Is there a way to safely transport that tractor on that trailer? Also yes, with care.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
To me safety is always context dependent. Unsafe at highway speeds and not taking care. Probably safe at 30mph and driving extra carefully, particularly if you're moving it twice a year - once to home, once back to rural block.
That approach is risk management, which should not be confused with safety. Risk management is all about reducing the costs associated with safety by accepting some level of risk, whereas cost is a secondary consideration of safety management.

In this case, risk management means saving the purchase price of an adequately sized trailer, minimizing the frequency of trailer failure by limiting use, limiting the impact of inadequate equipment by limiting kinetic forces and limiting liability by confining use to low-traffic areas.

The scenario makes certain assumptions that may or may not be valid: That low traffic density and low travel frequency will minimize the odds of an emergency, that the tow vehicle will have sufficient braking power at low speeds to avoid impact in an unexpected emergency, that the trailer itself is in an "as new" condition and never overstressed by the previous owner.

The tractordata website says the BX25D loader/backhoe variant weighs up to 2500 lbs. Rookie says the net trailer capacity is about 2,000 lbs. The math says that trailer has been overloaded every time it has transported that tractor. Human nature says it has probably picked up more than one overweight load of lumber or pile of dirt in the past too.

Who knows what welds have been over-stressed and are just waiting to fail now? I've seen a trailer axle break in a Home Depot parking lot at 5 mph. Odds are that particular load was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

So, can it be considered safe to overload an undersized trailer with that machine? No. Can the risks be minimized to save the cost of a new trailer? Maybe. At the very least, I would give the trailer a very close inspection of all welds, beef up the tie-down points as necessary, replace or beef up the springs and consider replacing the axle with one that has brakes.

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
I had a chance to measure the trailer that comes with the BX25D.
It is 5' wide & 10' long.
Father-in-Law backs the BX onto the trailer, then swings the backhoe to the side, then backs up the tractor until the backhoe frame is against the front rail of the trailer.
He hauls it with loader and backhoe attached.
it's secured with chains and binders.
The rear trailer ramp / gate locks into place.
And backed onto the trailer it has sufficient trailer tongue weight.
I have been looking at double axle trailers, but wow are they expensive!

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
I am slowly making progress.
I decided to purchase a double axle trailer and it was delivered yesterday.
I got a brand new CAM Superline utility trailer. 81.5" wide deck by 14' long.
Electric brakes on both axles, breakaway kit & battery, all the bells and whistles.
https://camsuperline.com/
GVWR 7000 lbs, usable capacity is about 5300 lbs, BX25D weighs about 3000 lbs so trailer won't be stressed at all.
I have an appointment for getting the electric brake controller and 7 pin socket installed on my Jeep this afternoon.
Then a real estate closing in less than 2 weeks.
And then I will go pick up the Kubota BX25D!
FYI: it comes with all the 3 point hitch arms/top link/drawbar.
I will put up some photos then.
Thank you to all who cautioned against using the small single axle trailer.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
The B2650 would obviously be better, as would a bigger truck and trailer. And a lot more expensive.

But there's no way you could lose money on it. If you buy it now, use it for 2 years, then decide you need a bigger machine, you can sell or trade for what you're paying. And your father-out-law could borrow the new bigger machine from you.
Glad you decided to pick up that BX. This is perfect advice. Use it until you know exactly what it can't do. At that price you can probably trade it in and not lose much money after a few years use. Then you'll know exactly what you want when you get a bigger tractor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Glad to hear your deal is working out and that you now have an adequate trailer to haul your "new" machine. :D

You "may" want to use some blocking (or jack stand) under the rear frame of your trailer while loading it, unless your trailer has the jacks in the rear already to keep the tractor from lifting the rear of your jeep. Loading the tractor has a tendency to lift the rear of the tow vehicle...especially those that are light and with a short wheel base. A set of wheel chocks are a good idea too.

anyway, "nanny-off" and best of luck to you. Enjoy your machine.

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
Thanks for the advise about blocking the rear of the trailer when loading/unloading.
My brother-in-law made that mistake and the whole rig (truck, trailer, and front end of JD tractor) all headed down his driveway. He backed off the rear of the trailer before anything catastrophic happened. I will also remember to put the Jeep in 4X4 low range when loading/unloading also. That will minimize rig motion, effectively locking the front wheels should the rear's become lifted when loading/unloading.

It wasn't really an option to get a new B2650. The little BX is all the tow vehicle can handle. There just aren't enough piggies in the piggie bank for a new house, a new tractor, a new trailer, and a new tow vehicle. Maybe in the future...
I will report back when I pick up the BX and get some hauling experience with it.
BTW, the Jeep is over 4000 lbs so it isn't really "light weight", but it IS short wheelbase...

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the advise about blocking the rear of the trailer when loading/unloading.
My brother-in-law made that mistake and the whole rig (truck, trailer, and front end of JD tractor) all headed down his driveway. He backed off the rear of the trailer before anything catastrophic happened. I will also remember to put the Jeep in 4X4 low range when loading/unloading also. That will minimize rig motion, effectively locking the front wheels should the rear's become lifted when loading/unloading.

It wasn't really an option to get a new B2650. The little BX is all the tow vehicle can handle. There just aren't enough piggies in the piggie bank for a new house, a new tractor, a new trailer, and a new tow vehicle. Maybe in the future...
I will report back when I pick up the BX and get some hauling experience with it.
BTW, the Jeep is over 4000 lbs so it isn't really "light weight", but it IS short wheelbase...
My '06 Tacoma 4x4 curb weight about 4000 lb, have 200 lb cap on. Pulling 18ft 7000 lb. car hauler trailer. The other day I loaded my B2650 on it (FEL & chipper on it) with nothing in the truck box. The truck back wheels stayed down. Looked close, but loading and unloading, and driving, with the B2650, 18 ft car hauler, and 4200 lb. Tacoma works very well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk