MX5200Hst Cold weather OPC

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
I've had a MX5200 since last September. Just under 50 hrs. Last week in single digit temps I was blading and bucketing snow. After an hour or so I dismounted and tractor quit showing an opc code. Thinking it was the seat I wiggled the switch and restarted the tractor. This happened twice more over next hour. Finally the last time it happened I could not restart the tractor no matter what I did. Wiggled seat, treadle and pto. Nothing. With negative 20s in the forecast I towed it back to my garage with my old Ford 850. Wouldnt start for 4 days. 5th day temps got back into the 40s. Wiggled the treadle and it fired right up. Ran fine for several days in 20 or 30 degree temps. Tonight I moved snow for a half hour in lower single digit temps. After returning to garage and dismounting, the tractor quit showing the opc code again. Five minutes later I was able to restart it. Can anybody explain what is happening? I checked the resistance in the seat switch and it appears ok. I believe the treadle safety switch may be the issue. Is it possible it is getting iced up?

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I assume opc is “operator presence control” ?
The only other sensor I can think of is the PTO, which would likely turn the tractor off when you get out of the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Brian H

Equipment
MX5200HST, MTL RK5 Gr, Ford 850, King Kutter brush hog, rototiller, blade, disk.
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
Yes opc is Operator Presence Control. Throughout this I have not used the pto so I was assuming it is the least likely culprit.

Last edited:

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
Time to share my cold weather experience which may also be your problem. I received my MX5200 HST November 2018. At about 20 hours, on a very cold day in December, I warmed it up and drove it about 30 feet. As soon as I stopped and got up off the seat it shut down. There was nothing I could do to get the starter to turn over after that.

I called the dealership and raised a stink since I had round bales to move to the pasture. They sent their mechanic with a temporary replacement tractor. He looked mine over but couldn't figure it out. He then backed the replacement tractor off the trailer and stopped. As soon as he got up off the seat the damn thing stalled! Same as mine! He couldn't get it started after that.

After about a half hour of searching for the cause he finally discovered that the plunger style safety switch linked to the treadle pedal was stuck to one side, telling the tractor that the pedal was engaged. The switch is difficult to see and even feel because it's covered by the metal linkage that actuates it. It has to be in the neutral position, not too far in, not too far out, to start the tractor.

The fix: I took my wife's hair dryer, without her knowledge, and blew warm air on the switch for about 5 minutes. Started right up after that. Same thing with the dealership's tractor.

The same thing happened again about 2 weeks ago on a very cold day. Same hair dryer fixed it. I've noticed a pattern which may be the cause. Here in ohio we've been having some extreme fluctuations between warm and raining to extreme cold. In both occurrences, it was warm and raining the day before. I'm thinking the switch is holding moisture from humidity and then freezing up. It has a rubber boot over the switch but it obviously isn't enough.

Anyway, try this the next time it happens. The switch is on the left side under the floor. It's hard to see so have someone move the pedal back and forth to give you an idea where it is. It's well guarded by linkages so you can't actually hold the hair dryer or heat gun right on it, only in its general direction.

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
Time to share my cold weather experience which may also be your problem. I received my MX5200 HST November 2018. At about 20 hours, on a very cold day in December, I warmed it up and drove it about 30 feet. As soon as I stopped and got up off the seat it shut down. There was nothing I could do to get the starter to turn over after that.

I called the dealership and raised a stink since I had round bales to move to the pasture. They sent their mechanic with a temporary replacement tractor. He looked mine over but couldn't figure it out. He then backed the replacement tractor off the trailer and stopped. As soon as he got up off the seat the damn thing stalled! Same as mine! He couldn't get it started after that.

After about a half hour of searching for the cause he finally discovered that the plunger style safety switch linked to the treadle pedal was stuck to one side, telling the tractor that the pedal was engaged. The switch is difficult to see and even feel because it's covered by the metal linkage that actuates it. It has to be in the neutral position, not too far in, not too far out, to start the tractor.

The fix: I took my wife's hair dryer, without her knowledge, and blew warm air on the switch for about 5 minutes. Started right up after that. Same thing with the dealership's tractor.

The same thing happened again about 2 weeks ago on a very cold day. Same hair dryer fixed it. I've noticed a pattern which may be the cause. Here in ohio we've been having some extreme fluctuations between warm and raining to extreme cold. In both occurrences, it was warm and raining the day before. I'm thinking the switch is holding moisture from humidity and then freezing up. It has a rubber boot over the switch but it obviously isn't enough.

Anyway, try this the next time it happens. The switch is on the left side under the floor. It's hard to see so have someone move the pedal back and forth to give you an idea where it is. It's well guarded by linkages so you can't actually hold the hair dryer or heat gun right on it, only in its general direction.
ran in this today Gambler. I put a lil buddy under the plunger area and it fired up after a few minutes. I am wondering, did you ever swap out the plunger?
I bought one from the dealer but i am afraid it will just happen again anyway.
thanks!

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota

The part I bolded is the most important part. I now have my own hairdryer that lives in the garage. Not as good as a heat gun, but it does get used several times a year.

Brian H

Equipment
Feb 8, 2019
Waupaca, WI
Grandwazoo,
After i started this thread 2 yrs ago i had the dealer send a tech out to replace the switch that Gambler spoke of while i was under warranty. Never had a problem since, although last winter never had those extreme cold weather and snow events. Last night was the closest and no issue. Ill be pushing some snow around this weekend in single digits so we'll see.

Brian

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
real common

there is a damper on the hst linkage which slows it's rate of movement. The damper is oil filled. As temps get real cold, the damper won't move very fast, and it often hangs a little. Combine that with stiff rubber boot (on the damper and on the hst switch) and combine that also with the fact that kubota adjusts the hst switch way too sensitive, and you have what you have. The switch is adjustable. Adjust the hst switch or get the dealer to do it if they will.