2-3 ft of snow to much for blade

wardsfarmnj

Equipment
2016 L3901 FEL 2004 BX1500 FEL 71" Tiller 37" Tiller 71" Finish Mower Flail Mow
Jul 8, 2015
Mannington Twp. NJ
That's due to the weight and HP of most Bobcats.
My bobcat has a slightly smaller engine than my L3450, weighs 2500lbs more, and is a beast in the snow!

Greenhead,
While that bucket might look like a good idea, it weighs twice as much as what the B's original bucket weighs.
Talk about tipping it on it's nose!
One must be careful getting Skid Steer buckets and implements as they tend to weigh a lot more and require more HP and hydraulic power than most tractors are capable of producing.
Dad has a bobcat with a snowblower on in Northwest MN cuts through snow like butter. Goes up his 1/4 mile driveway in no time.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I have a 5' on my little 1860 with turf tires and have found that it's very comfortable pushing up to 12" at a time. Over that and it can do it, just not pretty and definitely not uphill.

When I run into 12"+ I make a pass through the middle with the fel like a bulldozer letting it pile off each side. That gives me traction to use the back blade on the next pass. I go back with the blade at an angle and make a pass on each side to widen it on each side to 12 feet or so.

I had a full size pickup with an 8' and didn't like to let snow pile up over a foot. That's a lot to ask. I've been out at all hours of the night to make sure I keep it to a managable level.

On a sidenote these snow threads from down south (I'm in NH) are driving me nuts. I have 2 snowmobiles sitting in a trailer with a whopping 3" of snow on the ground in late Jan....:mad:

slevys95

Equipment
B1750, BX2370/wmid60" deck,loader,brushhog,backblade,3pt rear snowblower
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
You guys seem to know your snow moving skills. I'm a newbie with a back blade on my older '80s B1750. 5 foot blade, manual angle setup. Had a few snow storms from about 12 to 4 inches. Driveway is only 250 feet, but thought I did ok plowing in reverse pushing snow to sides of drive. Now the question- I put chains on front and rear, tractor has turf tires( 4 wheel drive) will this cause a problem with transmission? It does ride great with chains
I 've heard both pros and cons for chains on front and rear but no difintitve answer. Even dealer counter guys had different opinions. Any thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I 've heard both pros and cons for chains on front and rear but no difintitve answer. Even dealer counter guys had different opinions. Any thoughts appreciated.
The bottom line, chains or not, is that you don't want too much traction in 4WD. I don't chain my fronts, but others do.

I run my BX in 4WD all winter, never comes out except for turning around in the road if the road is bare.

With the fronts chained, you should be even more attentive to the traction/grab of the fronts.

Last edited:

slevys95

Equipment
B1750, BX2370/wmid60" deck,loader,brushhog,backblade,3pt rear snowblower
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
The bottom line, chains or not, is that you don't want too much traction in 4WD. I don't chain my fronts, but others do.

I run my BX in 4WD all winter, never comes out except for turning around in the road if the road is bare.

With the fronts chained, you should be even more attentive to the traction/grab of the fronts.
Thanks for response. Makes sense not to overdo front with chains but had icey conditions under snow with little ability to steer. I will try with just rear chains and see how it goes. We've had different types of snow from powder to heavy moist stuff. Also keep in 4 wheel most of the time. Always appreciate the knowledge of the guys on this site.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for response. Makes sense not to overdo front with chains but had icey conditions under snow with little ability to steer. I will try with just rear chains and see how it goes. We've had different types of snow from powder to heavy moist stuff. Also keep in 4 wheel most of the time. Always appreciate the knowledge of the guys on this site.

Not saying don't chain them; a few guys here would recommend it, especially if icey.

I've been tempted several times to chain my fronts too. I snowblow part of my sloped lawn, so the Ollie the Boxer has a place to go potty. Fronts always wash-out downslope.

Like you said - try it first without.

My only suggestion is be careful with them, which is why you're asking the question. For that you should be commended!

Good Luck! :D

kris77

Jun 9, 2016
CA
Secret is to hit it hard and fast the first pass and angle the blade and throw it to the side as far as you can. I always start wide too. If you dont start wide, you box yourself in. Once I plow with the blade and get it all to the side, then the bucket comes in handy keeping the path wide if I need it. This was about 25"-28" worth. Actually, I had already plowed once when I took this, so this might have been ~18". Snowed all day long too. Ended up with over 38". I think I plowed every 4 or 5 hours.

I think this video shows I kinda boxed myself in. I didn't video, but I had to get the bucket out and clear off the sides a bit the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZB2cxNrhtA

Last edited:

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Chim... I am just a bit south of you in Rising Sun... Howdy! Would you happen to have any pics showing your tractor cab? Did you happen to hear about the Maryland dude that drove off with a Kubota from Stoltzfus ... they got it back... I yold Irwin it was coming out of his pay....