Front end camber??

BIG C

Equipment
2003 L3830,HST, LA723 LOADER
Dec 4, 2011
INDIAN HILLS, COLORADO
Hello,
- newbie here-
I recently purchased a 2003 Kubota L3830HD, it's my 1st.
I'm looking for info about the correct amount of camber for it's front end.
It is 4wheel drive and currently sports Agg tires.
How much camber should it have and should it change per tire tread type?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hello,
- newbie here-
I recently purchased a 2003 Kubota L3830HD, it's my 1st.
I'm looking for info about the correct amount of camber for it's front end.
It is 4wheel drive and currently sports Agg tires.
How much camber should it have and should it change per tire tread type?
How are you going to change the camber? If you mean caster, it should be .08 to .32 inches toe-in, regardless of tires. closer to the .08 is better for tire wear if you use 4wd a lot.
Ed

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Just to make sure things are clear. Caster, Toe and Camber are three different things. Most tractors have adjustable Toe and the numbers mentioned by eserv make sense for Toe-in, meaning you want the distance between tread on the front of the tires to be just a little bit smaller than the distance between the tread on the rear of the tires. This helps the tractor hold track and not want to wander as much.

Most tractors do not have adjustable Caster or Camber. The article at the link below is just one explanation of these three suspension terms/measurements.

Wxman

http://www.simpsonmotorsport.com/uploads/files/SuspensionSetup.pdf

BIG C

Equipment
Dec 4, 2011
INDIAN HILLS, COLORADO
I am talking about CAMBER as in how far in or out the top of the tire is, in relation to the bottom.
I realize that on my L3830 there is no mechanical adjustment for this.
I'm trying to learn what the 'tolerances' are for this, because looking at my tractor with agriculture tires on it it looks to have extreme camber out.
The axle itself is not damaged in any way.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!! - a smile goes here -

jem041279

Equipment
2011 L 3940 w/ FEL, 6ft shredder
Apr 20, 2011
abbeville, louisiana
I noticed the same thing with my l 3940 since it was new, it bothers me as well but there isn't any thing I can do about it due to no adjustment. I have R1's as well and I think since they are "skinnier" that R4's it is more noticeable.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I have read that positive camber is intended to align the kingpin axis with the center of the tire contact patch. Supposedly this reduces the force required to steer the axle. If that theory is true, then changing the height of the tires would change the intersection point of the camber angle and the kingpin angle; it's improbable that swapping between, say, the correct R4 tires and the correct R1 tires for your tractor would make significant differences.

However, I am not convinced by the theory that the positive camber is there for steering ease. Here is why: I think it would be easier to roll a tire around in a circle than it would be to simply twist it, especially if one considers the tire will be pushing dirt out of the way as it twists.

I think the reason for the positive camber is to attenuate the camber thrust that can occur when the tires encounter uneven terrain. This would tend to help the tractor track straighter, and require less steering input to maintain a straight course. That characteristic, along with the caster geometry, should make the tractor track straight naturally, rather than tending to turn more when either a steering input is made or some uneven terrain is encountered.

The old tricycle tractors with two front tires have an extreme situation with positive camber, and it only makes sense to me that it must be related to this type of thing (vehicle dynamics) rather than the bare required force to steer the tires.

Last edited:

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
You aren't going to adjust it, it's fixed. My L3410 is the same way, it makes the outer edge of the tires dig in when you turn, otherwise it may push the front end when you make a turn. Don't worry about it, they figured it out years ago and it works.

By the way, don't change the tire size, you will bind up the gear box and break something, the tires are sized for the gear ratio in the front and rear.

Last edited:

BIG C

Equipment
Dec 4, 2011
INDIAN HILLS, COLORADO
Okay, thanks for the input.
I know the camber is fixed based on the front differential's design.
I am just trying to get a feel for what it(camber) is supposed to be to know my tractor better.
thanks for everyones help.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
The amount of camber should be such that the center of the tire is aligned with the axis of the king pin. So, from wherever the steering pivots around on the axle, extend that line down toward the ground. It should intersect at or near the middle of the tire. That trait should be consistent whatever tread type you have; there may or may not be differences in real life among the various types of tires.