ZD1211 Hydraulic Oil Service

Foxxhat

Equipment
2008 L4240, 2012 KX057-4, 2021 ZD1211, 2000 T1760
Dec 31, 2020
Georgina, Ontario Canada
Hello,

I have a 2021 ZD1211 with 366 hours. I'm doing the hydraulic service and drained the main tank as well as the LH and RH rear axles. 12 litres came out but it doesn't want to fill up properly. I barely have 8 litres pumped in and the level is up to the top of the reservoir. I tried to open what looks to be vent plugs on the axles but didn't make a change. I loosened the axle drain plugs to see if there was anything down in them and some came out but didn't gush out. Manual says to fill SLOWELY and I didn't see that part. I have a high-volume hydraulic hand pump and used that to full it. Seems like a bug air lock but I can't tell. Manual doesn't even mention the vent plugs on the rear axles which I find kind of strange. Any suggestions?

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
On my z422 there is a breather port plug that needs to be removed to allow venting while refilling with hydraulic fluid. Sounds like you have something similar, maybe retrace your steps again?

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have no idea, but was wondering how long has it been since you filled it. I wonder if sitting overnight would allow the air to escape?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You will need to run the unit for a few minutes, then shut it off and top of the reservoir. You will need to do this several times, then drive it and top it off. Keep doing this until the level stays on the FULL mark.

Kubota ZD units do not have any bleeders, the only thing that removing the upper plugs on the final drives accomplishes is to run oil on the floor.

Foxxhat

Equipment
2008 L4240, 2012 KX057-4, 2021 ZD1211, 2000 T1760
Dec 31, 2020
Georgina, Ontario Canada
You will need to run the unit for a few minutes, then shut it off and top of the reservoir. You will need to do this several times, then drive it and top it off. Keep doing this until the level stays on the FULL mark.

Kubota ZD units do not have any bleeders, the only thing that removing the upper plugs on the final drives accomplishes is to run oil on the floor.
Thanks, I was able to figure it out. I ended up filling the axles from the upper plugs and then as you say, run the machine and top accordingly from the top.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thanks, I was able to figure it out. I ended up filling the axles from the upper plugs and then as you say, run the machine and top accordingly from the top.
There is no need to fill through the upper plugs, just add it through the fill port.

513abb

Equipment
Zd1211
Aug 10, 2023
Cincinnati, OH
I just did this same service on my 2016 zd1211 with 460 hours. Everything was working perfectly before. After the deck raises really slowly and jerky. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe the air would workout. When I got on today it wouldn’t move until it ran for a minute. Trying to figure out what to do

513abb

Equipment
Zd1211
Aug 10, 2023
Cincinnati, OH
There is no need to fill through the upper plugs, just add it through the fill port.
I just did this same service on my 2016 zd1211 with 460 hours. Everything was working perfectly before. After the deck raises really slowly and jerky. I let it sit overnight thinking maybe the air would workout. When I got on today it wouldn’t move until it ran for a minute. Trying to figure out what to do

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Run it for a couple of minutes, shut it off, and top off the hydraulic fluid. Drive the unit back and forth a few times, shut it off, and top off the hydraulic oil.
They take some time to refill and get bleed out, adding oil through the side plugs will not help at all.

saajaguarxk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
KX040 Excavator, LX3520 Tractor, RTV 1100, ZD1211 O-turn mower,
May 8, 2024
Springfield, NH
whitetiger is 100% correct.

it takes several cycles to get them bled out.
I have a ZD1211-60 Zero Turn Mower and just completed the annual service which included the transmission filters & fluid change. I drained the main reservoir and both the left and right rear axle gear cases. The filters are Kubota brand and the oil is Kubota UDT2. I ran the machine after the service was completed according to the manual slowly, making several turns to the left, right, raising & lowering the deck. All checked out perfectly. I rechecked the transmission fluid and brought it up to the full indication. It needed about 2 qts additional fluid. I ran it again making turns and moving the mower deck up and down; all checked out and the fluid was at the full mark. I restarted the mower and parked it in front of my barn to put it under cover, pressed the brake, got off the mower and opened the barn doors. When I went back to the mower I released the brake and now the mower will not move forward or backward and the deck will not cycle up. It is running perfectly, except no movement. I shut it off, turned it back on, still no movement. I have checked the fluid levels, looked for leaks, made sure the plugs are not leaking. Nothing. HELP! :( I’m out of ideas.

saajaguarxk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
KX040 Excavator, LX3520 Tractor, RTV 1100, ZD1211 O-turn mower,
May 8, 2024
Springfield, NH
I have a ZD1211-60 Zero Turn Mower and just completed the annual service which included the transmission filters & fluid change. I drained the main reservoir and both the left and right rear axle gear cases. The filters are Kubota brand and the oil is Kubota UDT2. I ran the machine after the service was completed according to the manual slowly, making several turns to the left, right, raising & lowering the deck. All checked out perfectly. I rechecked the transmission fluid and brought it up to the full indication. It needed about 2 qts additional fluid. I ran it again making turns and moving the mower deck up and down; all checked out and the fluid was at the full mark. I restarted the mower and parked it in front of my barn to put it under cover, pressed the brake, got off the mower and opened the barn doors. When I went back to the mower I released the brake and now the mower will not move forward or backward and the deck will not cycle up. It is running perfectly, except no movement. I shut it off, turned it back on, still no movement. I have checked the fluid levels, looked for leaks, made sure the plugs are not leaking. Nothing. HELP! :( I’m out of ideas.
I solved my problem. 🥳 Service manual requires more oil than I calculated. Duh :rolleyes: Every time I would fill it, drive a bit, all OK, let it sit for 2 minutes then no go. Did this 3 times before it finally was satisfied. Boy was it thirsty! I will be checking it again before the first mowing of the lawn this week to make sure it is full. Anyway, thanks for listening to my trials and tribulations.

Reactions: 1 user