Who would have thought??

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
not familiar with the area, but do we get to carry or not?
I don't believe that CT allows open carry, but you can get a concealed permit. The problem is that if you shoot someone, there is a good chance that they will make a felon out of you.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I quit smoking pot in 1985. Smoked it partly because I was a teenager and it was easier to get than alcohol. I don’t drink either. For the people I have personally known that smoke pot or drink alcohol the percentage that partake in moderation v those that have a problem (i.e. “pothead” or “alcoholic”) are about equal between the two. I really don’t much care if pot is legalized here for recreational use or not. It’s so readily available, not sure it would truly increase usage much as opposed to simply making it a more visible activity.

I am very much an advocate of legalizing it by prescription for medical use. Currently available opiates utilized for chronic pain have the side effect of constipation. Pot doesn’t. If you have chronic pain with meds as the only treatment option AND chronic constipation, the opiates that make life bearable also damn near kill you routinely. (BTW, my wife of 35 years has fit that description for the past 9 years.)

The real problem with medical marijuana is it isn’t making bank for Johnson & Johnson or Bristol Meyers Squibb.

Depends on the source. My girlfriend works in the medical industry and has been tasked to study the effects of different drugs. There is little information on Marijuana, there is much on other Rx drugs-they've been studied a whole lot more mostly by the FDA. FDA hasn't studied marijuana that much in comparison. Kind of like vaping vs smoking. Nobody really knows because it wasn't/isnt studied that much but smoking certainly got plenty of attention. As the information becomes available we might learn a thing or two.

Real problem with medical Marijuana isn't necessarily that fact that J&J or BMS, it's the government. The only reason it's "legalized" is for tax purposes. I have the data when I did studies on this stuff years back and the vast majority of people voted against it-however there are many ways to influence an election and that's exactly what happened. We've blurred the lines, a lot of them-and that's all I'm going to say on that.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When it comes to crime, the statistics are fine if you are not the victim of the crime, but if you are, then the statistics don't mean anything. Care to walk down many streets in Hartford, Waterbury, New Haven, or any large city in Connecticut in the nighttime? I certainly don't. I like living.
At 83, I don't/wouldn't care to walk down most streets, in any large city, in the nighttime.
Same as any other third world country!
Here in FL, (with or without permit) I could at least carry my very concealable 9mm Taurus G2C......with 15 rounds.
Not so,.... anywhere in the Northeast!
I do have a FL CC permit, but it is NOT valid ANYWHERE in the NE.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What does being 83 have to do with "don't..... walk down most streets, in any large city, in the nighttime."

If you're in that environment age is irrelevant.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
What does being 83 have to do with "don't..... walk down most streets, in any large city, in the nighttime."

If you're in that environment age is irrelevant.
If you are 33 yrs. old you could run!
If you are 83....you can't!
Just that simple!

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Most younger folks get the prescription. And then purchase from alternative sources that are cheaper.

On the topic of opioid's. I had out patient surgery to remove a couple systs. One was the center of my back, the other was on my shoulder joint pushing on the nerves.

Doctor prescribed an opioid as well as the narcam to counter act it.

Apparently it's a law now that if one is prescribed, the antidote needs to be prescribed as well.

Well I filled the narcam prescription since we have teenage grandkids and did supervised visitation for a known opioid addict.

Later at my follow up appointment I asked the doctor if he has a lot of sissies for his patients since he prescribed an opioid for after my surgery.

Heck, I had so much relief afterwards, I didn't even need anything for the pain. I wouldn't have taken the opioid anyway.

He said since he's a surgeon, he only has a short window after the surgery to issue prescriptions. Like a few hours. If a patient calls up in a day or so after the surgery because they need something stout for the pain they are in, they are pretty much SOL. He can't write a prescription after the fact.

So it's pretty much standing practice to issue a prescription up front in case they need it.

Of course, my surgeon was actually a plastic surgeon so most of his clients are getting pretty invasive surgeries and paying out of pocket. I needed to see him due to the location.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm going to disagree with this and tell you a story.

When I go to town its more than a hour drive one way so I almost always load up a dog or two in the back seat for companionship and give them some excitement and when in town I like to grab a sub sandwich. I eat in the truck as I have the dogs and don't like to leave my staffies unattended.

Subway is right next door to one of the villages pot shop so I get to watch with quit some fascination the coming and goings into the pot shop. Seems to be one of the busiest places in town. Cheap entertainment watching the comings and goings.

Now my observations are far from highly scientific but what I see is about 40% of the customers being women in the age range of 25 to 40. Now what is shocking to me is about 1/2 of these customers have small children with them with about equal numbers taking their kids into the store and half leaving them in their vehicles while they pop into shop. Can pot be the new mothers little helper??

The next and to me the most shocking personal observation..... 1/3 of the people that come out of the pot store will actually have a smoke in their vehicles before leaving the parking lot!!! Legal to buy, legal to use in public so they are. Enable any lifestyle / activity so I guess I shouldn't be so fundy to see people taking sway of their legal rights.
:cry:
😞

I don't really function well in this new world.
But it's actually illegal to use and drive. They face the same penalties as driving drunk.

Smoking in their car and then driving is no different then drinking in their car and then driving.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
took a vacation to an area where pot use is legal in public

there is not a single place you can go in that town that doesn't STINK, and everywhere you (or we) went means you're probably gonna have contact high.

I will not go back and for that reason alone and I don't want it here either. But some seem to think that it's ok. Kind of like a car that's been smoked in. If you are a smoker, you don't care. If you aren't, you DO care and as a nonsmoker myself, I will NOT buy a car that has been smoked in, and believe me, I can tell-no matter how well it's treated.

went to a wal mart recently (which is admittedly rare) and there were some people sitting outside the door huffing a joint. Soon as I got back home I had to take the clothing off and throw it in the washer, just that quick, it stunk. Had I gotten pulled over on the way home, I'm sure the cops would have been searching my car and such, as the smell of pot is considered probable cause here.
You must have stopped at the Wally World on Sky Line 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
SO the locals are permitted to do the wild thang, and no worries about the PoPo?
Yup... for last 15 years or so its basically legal to sell but not legal to advertise, organize sales, manage sales, etc...

• Wow

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
At 83, I don't/wouldn't care to walk down most streets, in any large city, in the nighttime.
Same as any other third world country!
Here in FL, (with or without permit) I could at least carry my very concealable 9mm Taurus G2C......with 15 rounds.
Not so,.... anywhere in the Northeast!
I do have a FL CC permit, but it is NOT valid ANYWHERE in the NE.
It's valid in Vermont, Maine, and possibly New Hampshire.

In Vermont, you can do what ever you please. Open or conceal carry without a permit.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
Just that simple!
yup... the soft "nintendo punks" mistakenly think because I look crippled I'm weak in mind/body and spirit.

Being old is far from same as being weak.

I can still outwork many half my age but don't ask me to run. This boy no longer runs.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Just that simple!
When I was managing a group of investigators one of the situational awareness things we taught our young new folks was never underestimate the potential danger presented by old and/or apparently weak or busted up people. When you’re young and healthy, fight or flight is a decision if you get in confrontation. When you’re old and busted, flight isn’t an option and fight ain’t what it used to be so you carry.

Reactions: 2 users