What's this??? (SOLVED)

dperky

Equipment
L3800D
Mar 18, 2024
Seguin, TX
A battery? Not sure what was done here by previous owner. Any ideas what this electrical device is and what it is used for?

IMG_1090.jpeg
IMG_1091.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Is it fused? Pull the fuse and see what happens or doesn’t happen. Open it up. Worst case you zip tie it back shut

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Where does the lead go? Snip the ties and open it up and see whats in side,, like said might be a GPS tracker of some kind

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes, snip ties, remove from tractor and then open up the case so WE can see inside !!!
Pretty Sure it's a 'tractor tracker' though,some YOU do NOT want !

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I bought my new truck it had a device plugged into the Obd-port…which had a GPS and also a tracker which utilized Cell phone towers. I removed it immediately.

I believe the Dealer had them installed in order to prevent theft from his Lot…as well as to track customers who had financed the vehicle …possibly for repossession purposes.

Whatever it is on your tractor…. You don’t want it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
You will probably need to splice the wire back together here, I would guess that’s to whatever they used to remote disable it

657556FD-027B-441F-8772-9998559B179C.jpeg

dperky

Equipment
L3800D
Mar 18, 2024
Seguin, TX
Is it fused? Pull the fuse and see what happens or doesn’t happen. Open it up. Worst case you zip tie it back shut
Yes it has a fuse. GPS tracker makes sense as this tractor was used as a rental unit.
Can you give more details on which wires to splice? The main wire bundle coming from the zip tied unit, which is a SVR1400 LGE tracker, contains four wires - red, white, green and black. The red one goes thru the fuse then dives into the larger wire bundle as does the black one. The white wire dead ends. The green wire is spliced into an orange wire then into ProLink 40amp relay.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370: LA243 F.E.L.&CW, 60" MMM, chipper, flail, 3rd fn, 3pt T&T; Cyclone Rake
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
From the mounting location I agree it could be a simple version GPS tracker/ignition disable, though they usually have more wires. (there should be a Yellow wire for the Output to either the ignition relay or fuel pump relay)

Red: Fused System Power
Black: Probably System Ground
White: Possibly ignition switch
Green: Possibly ignition relay, generally the fuel pump relay disable.

There might be an add-on relay that disables the fuel pump, it's hard to say with so few wires.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If you disable the engine on this model it disables the fuel pump 😁 (only a mechanical pump)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
yes, snip ties, remove from tractor and then open up the case so WE can see inside !!!
Pretty Sure it's a 'tractor tracker' though,some YOU do NOT want !
Why would anyone not want to have/use a tracker for their tractor?
If someone else's tracker, obviously not.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The WSM (aka Service Manual) will give you the stock wiring.
You should be able to tell the difference between stock wiring and add on wiring just looking at it.
Picture of those locations where they join with wiring colors noted will help me to help you eliminate it.
It could be a crank defeat or run defeat
Depends on what wires they connected to.
Just ask if you need the WSM.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
@Daren Todd may have some experience with this

I’m not sure exactly how they do it on these, cars are different 😂
GPS tracker. Most won't disable the unit. They just send a signal when the engine is started.

You really don't need to do anything with it. It was disabled once the rental company sold the unit. They aren't gonna keep spending the fee each month to keep it active.

On the new ones we have, I can monitor everything 😈😈😈😈 It will even send an elert when a trouble code is active.

Reactions: 3 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The WSM (aka Service Manual) will give you the stock wiring.
You should be able to tell the difference between stock wiring and add on wiring just looking at it.
Picture of those locations where they join with wiring colors noted will help me to help you eliminate it.
It could be a crank defeat or run defeat
Depends on what wires they connected to.
Just ask if you need the WSM.
Most likely 1 wire is constant power. Second wire is accessory power that's activated when the key switch turns on. This will wake the GPS and tell it to start sending a signal.

Should have one wire running to ground as well.

I would check and see if there are some splices at the alternator. One for 12vlt constant, the other tapped to the exciter wire.

Follow the wires back. If it just taps into a quick connect. Then simply disconnect and toss the GPS into the trash. Fill the other half of the quick connect with dielectric grease and go on about your buisiness.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You will probably need to splice the wire back together here, I would guess that’s to whatever they used to remote disable it

View attachment 127801
They don't normally have a remote disable. Just send a signal. They aren't that fancy. Just send a signal when the units running. That looks more like an inline fuse holder to protect the power circuit.

A remote disable adds a whole new level of frustration for a service tech.

If it's stolen, we want it running as much as possible so we can get a reliable ping on its location and for the thief to remain clueless until the police show up.

Reactions: 2 users