tube or tubeless front tire, L235

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
My tractor currently has tubes installed, front tires 6-12. There is a lot of rust inside the wheels, and the tube stem holes are rusted out pretty bad. I can re-install tubes, but water is going to keep getting inside. I can certainly weld repair the rim to accept a tubeless stem, but not 100% confident that tubeless tires will seal. (The bead/seal is minorly pitted in some areas of the rim but might seal good enough??). What have the rest of you done, besides just replacing with new wheels?

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
On my 9N with badly-rusted front rims…(I believe at some time in it’s history those wheels had been filled with calcium-chloride)… .I used a wire-wheel to clean up the rust, then painted it. I filled the old valve-stem hole with JB-Weld and drilled a new, clean hole elsewhere for the new tube. Lasted 15 years before it went to a new home.

I doubt water is getting inside the wheels from outside. You might try pressure-washing then applying cold-galvanize (rattle-can Rustoleum zinc-rich) to fight the corrosion, likely caused by someone having once filled those fronts, perhaps..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user