Tree Spade - latest addition to armada

retiree-urgency abandoned

Equipment
B3350, Kub. 5" rotary cutter, LP 48" forks, Titan Aerial Platform, KK XB Dump
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Our spring to-do list includes removing a number of shrubs from the perimeter of the house foundation and replacing them with lower maintenance/better looking versions (planted with more space from the foundation). I didn't relish the idea of doing it all by hand, so found a Wolverine TD13-36R - https://www.usawolverine.com/html/product/87.html at auction. As I don't own a pickup or trailer, had to get creative to load it for the trip home.

Ran into the round peg into a rectangular hole problem, since the pin receiver at the bottom of the SSQA plate wasn't set up for the round locking pins on my Kubota SSQA. With a little grinding, got it modified to work on the Kubota. I don't think I removed enough metal to sacrifice the integrity of the connection - the B3350 isn't heavy enough to really challenge it.

Had just enough time left yesterday for a test drive to remove and replant the first shrub. Didn't have to get off the tractor to dig or lift the shrub!

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
That looks like useful attachment. I'd be mindful of the area (pushing tip down force) you ground out, it looks pretty thin for strength.

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
Turns out that first bush was the easiest of the bunch. Did the rest of them yesterday and the shrub size & root structures were more formidable.

The bucket is 1/4" steel and I had no issues going straight down, angling in and curling or pushing/pulling in a hole with it. It would take more weight and FEL power than my B3350 to bend the bucket. That being said, I wouldn't use it when the ground's hard-frozen or try any X-treme maneuvers with it.

In summary, I'd give this attachment a thumbs-up

Reactions: 1 user

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Interesting....

I don't think my little tiny baby tractor has the oomph to dig with that though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Not with that tool.:)
I'll have to dig around the sides first, then underneath.
I've personally not been in position to "save/replant". If I'm removing said, it's going away as quickly and easily as possible.

This was my eyesore last year. After removing many 2-man landscape rocks, and red lava rock from the bed.
1000022487.jpg

I literally pushed them over and ripped them out
1000022489.jpg

The beds were rebuilt and replanted.
1000022488.jpg

Commercial weed barrier and rock to match was the final appearance. The difference in tree spacing was corrected prior to completion.

In total, 4ft x 87ft of boxed landscaped area was redone with new PT boards, commercial weed barrier and river rock. Then the large landscape rocks were strategically placed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Equipment
Dec 1, 2020
Bloomington, IN
That's a nice looking project Trimley! In my case, we were going to re-use the removed shrub in other places, so I couldn't employ my wrap-the-chain-and-yank procedure. With the yews & burning bush root systems, I don't think my B3350 could have yanked them out.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's a nice looking project Trimley! In my case, we were going to re-use the removed shrub in other places, so I couldn't employ my wrap-the-chain-and-yank procedure. With the yews & burning bush root systems, I don't think my B3350 could have yanked them out.
If your 3350 is not strong enough,.....that is justification,..... for a BIGGER Kubota. :)