Stadt's BX2680 Project Thread

Stadt

Equipment
BX 2680
Aug 29, 2023
Oklahoma
Hello All!

Just invested into a 2021 BX2680! Its my first Kubota and tractor! Fortunately I am familiar with tractors, as I grew up on a small farm and did a handful of chores on a Massey Ferguson 135. My current land plot is only 1.5 acres instead of the 10 I grew up on. That being said, I plan to put this little BX to work for some home and yard renovations.

First things first, the tractor. I was in a market for a sub compact tractor that would fill mowing duties, as well as doing some landscaping and renovation work in the future. I fought between a Green tractor, or an Orange. First I went to a Kubota dealer to price a new tractor, and the dealer was gouging the pricing. For both a BX1880 and 2380, the dealer was invoicing it at nearly 25K with loader, MMM, and box blade. Walked out the door at that point, because they should never try to sell items at over MSRP. Doesnt help I stood around for 10 minutes before being greeted in the lot and lobby, like the salesmen had anything better to do besides twiddling their thumbs. At this point, the next closest Kubota dealer was an hour away. I was wanting something new, but I kept my eyes out for a used one. The day before I was about to head to the other Kubota dealer, a listing popped up for a 2021 BX2680 with just over 100 hours, Drive Over MMM, Turf Tires, Loader Brackets & Hydraulics minus the actual loader, for 9K. The pictures were all grainy and I had difficulty even believing the listing was real! I contacted the seller and sure enough, it was the real deal. Just an older gentleman who downsized in land and no longer needed it, as it had been sitting in storage for 8 months. The next day I loaded up a trailer and went to pick it up. Despite not having the loader, I could not pass up this type of deal, as I had searched and searched, and never saw anything near this price for something as new and/or with as much horsepower. Met with the man and discussed the tractor. He had all the paper work for it and it had just been serviced at 104 hours in September. Paid the man, hightailed it out of there so that he couldnt change his mind, and I was back home with my new to me tractor!

20230830_202348.jpg

As planned, this mower was going to be dedicated to mowing for its first part of its life until I can get my hands on a loader. So I went to work leveling the mower deck. As I expected, this mower was a little beat up and out of level. After a bit of trial and error, got it straightened up pretty good and started mowing. Found that it does cut well, but leaves some large bits of grass. Going from a New Honda push mower, the mulching was a bit of concern. I got to thinking and began looking into Mulch kits, as well as other MMM modications. Looked around the web for recommendations and reveiws of mulching kits, and saw that some were just not pleased. At this point, I set out to quickly make something to act more as a shute blocker, rather than a complete mulching kit. Came up with an idea and started gathering the supplies. Since I dont currently have a welder, I opted for a bolted together design. I planned to use the same dowel rod that the shute uses. So I came up with using large HD hinges, simply bending them down, and bolting them to a piece of steel. At this same time, I wanted to replace the blades to some high lift blades. I opted for the Oregon Gator G5's. I figured since I am going to this length, I might as well remove the MMM and service it entirely. After dropping the entire drive over deck frame on accident, instead of just the deck, I started servcing the deck and cleaning it up. Learned a few things along the way, and got it back together with the new blades and cleaned up. Installed the shute blocker and started mowing with it to test it out. And as expected, it started to really clean up the cut, as well as pulling a lot of thatching from the ground. It definitely blows a lot of debris around the tractor, but its worth it for the cut and clearing. At this point, I may not invest in the Mulch Kit, and just continue to use my homemade 50$ shute blocker. Its always very rewarding when an idea comes to fruition. I plan to cut the remaining portion into a notch so that I can install a quick bolt to prevent it from blowing all the way out, but even with the hinges and friction, it stayed in place. It will also be painted Kubota Orange when finished.

20230913_192028.jpg

20230913_192020.jpg

20230914_185730.jpg

20230914_185717.jpg

So far this is where I am at with the tractor and current projects. There are more items coming to the tractor itself, as well as more projects for it to do. The way that I see it, the tractors themselves are always projects, so it should also be part of the "project" listing!

Reactions: 3 users

Stadt

Equipment
BX 2680
Aug 29, 2023
Oklahoma
Here is a picture of the cut after installing the shute block. Grass isnt mulched as fine as my Honda mower could do, would never expect it to be, but the cuts are 50% or more smaller than before. Pretty happy with the results. The difference between the first mow without the shute blocker, and the most recent with it are definitely night and day. When driving over solid foundation, such as the driveway or road, it clears all of the grass from the deck, resulting in below. The grass has enough hatch to receive nitrogen still, and not be piled high with it.

20230914_193145.jpg

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Congrats on the purchase. I am sure you will find all kinds of ways to use the tractor. I got a BX2200 a few years ago when I purchased my 5 acre property and it has been great.

Stadt

Equipment
BX 2680
Aug 29, 2023
Oklahoma
Now 6 months later and 50 more hours on the BX.

Was mainly using it for mowing until I gathered the supplies to start building the fence around my place. There will be around 600 ft of fence needed to be built to secure my place, but needed to start on one corner of it sooner rather than later. The corner was around 200' of fencing in total. The whole reason for purchasing the BX was so that I can provide most, if not all, of the labor needed to do these jobs; in the easiest ways possible, post hole diggers are no fun! That being said, I went and bought an auger and a box blade to start accomplishing these tasks. After a day of digging 26 holes and about two weekends of setting post and running stringers, the fence came together!

20231012_190630.jpg

20231105_161417.jpg

I ended up saving about half the price doing this myself rather than someone else, as the qoutes I received for this much fencing was astonishing. Materials played a large part in it, as everything is Ceder. This portion of the fence will be getting a stain soon, as it is now starting to dry out after the winter months. Before I can complete the rest of the fence, I need to start clearing the brush that is on my property. For that, I knew I needed a loader, and that was another reason I ventured into the BX line. It took some searching and patience, but I was able to finally put my hands on a loader.

The local Kubota dealers were not helpful and only wanted to sell me a new unit, which was nearly 5K. Despite my BX already having the bracket and hydraulics, they were just so adamant about installing a new one and charging labor to do so, no matter how many times I told them it wasnt needed. Began searching outside the local area, and found a dealer about 2 hours away that had a used LA243 in great shape. The dealer was again skeptical that it would work on my newer BX, but all the research I did, it would fit no problem. So 4 hours of my time and only $2K later, I was home with a new to me loader!

20240314_190518.jpg

The only modifications that are necessary to fit the LA243 on the newer BXs are converting the older Pioneer Hydraulic Fittings to the newer Flat Face style on the newer BXs. This is very easily done and no issues have presented themselves since I converted them.

20240314_190538 (1).jpg

20240314_190549 (1).jpg

The next project for the little BX is to tackle the brush behind it and start clearing it out to open up the property, and to allow me to fence it in. There are a lot of little sapplings and trees that will also have to be uprooted, to which I may have my neighbor, who has a larger back hoe, tackle those.

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Couple of things that I noticed, and I hope that you take these as helpful not critical of your work. I would trim the rear edge of the chute blocker to have rounded corners since sharp points can do a lot of damage to ankles. The other thing is the retainer pins in the loader pins are incorrect for the application. The type that Kubota used is closer to the hole diameter and spring loaded. Refer to the picture below.

Attachments

Stadt

Equipment
BX 2680
Aug 29, 2023
Oklahoma
Couple of things that I noticed, and I hope that you take these as helpful not critical of your work. I would trim the rear edge of the chute blocker to have rounded corners since sharp points can do a lot of damage to ankles. The other thing is the retainer pins in the loader pins are incorrect for the application. The type that Kubota used is closer to the hole diameter and spring loaded. Refer to the picture below.
Appreciate the feedback. The Chute block is not the final product, just temporary until I get around to making a final revision. That being said, I hardly exit on the right side of the tractor and I am young enough to not fault on it lol.

As for the pins, I would have used lynch pins but they would not properly close on the side with the hydro lines. I have a set of the OE Kubota pins on order from the local dealer, but who knows when those will actually show. The 1" hitch pin that I am using is more than strong enough to support the loader and fits perfectly with no slack. The lockpin is simply so that the hitch pin will not move out, and I doubt they will even without it.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Now 6 months later and 50 more hours on the BX.

Was mainly using it for mowing until I gathered the supplies to start building the fence around my place. There will be around 600 ft of fence needed to be built to secure my place, but needed to start on one corner of it sooner rather than later. The corner was around 200' of fencing in total. The whole reason for purchasing the BX was so that I can provide most, if not all, of the labor needed to do these jobs; in the easiest ways possible, post hole diggers are no fun! That being said, I went and bought an auger and a box blade to start accomplishing these tasks. After a day of digging 26 holes and about two weekends of setting post and running stringers, the fence came together!

View attachment 124295
View attachment 124296

I ended up saving about half the price doing this myself rather than someone else, as the qoutes I received for this much fencing was astonishing. Materials played a large part in it, as everything is Ceder. This portion of the fence will be getting a stain soon, as it is now starting to dry out after the winter months. Before I can complete the rest of the fence, I need to start clearing the brush that is on my property. For that, I knew I needed a loader, and that was another reason I ventured into the BX line. It took some searching and patience, but I was able to finally put my hands on a loader.

The local Kubota dealers were not helpful and only wanted to sell me a new unit, which was nearly 5K. Despite my BX already having the bracket and hydraulics, they were just so adamant about installing a new one and charging labor to do so, no matter how many times I told them it wasnt needed. Began searching outside the local area, and found a dealer about 2 hours away that had a used LA243 in great shape. The dealer was again skeptical that it would work on my newer BX, but all the research I did, it would fit no problem. So 4 hours of my time and only $2K later, I was home with a new to me loader!

View attachment 124297

The only modifications that are necessary to fit the LA243 on the newer BXs are converting the older Pioneer Hydraulic Fittings to the newer Flat Face style on the newer BXs. This is very easily done and no issues have presented themselves since I converted them.

View attachment 124298
View attachment 124299

The next project for the little BX is to tackle the brush behind it and start clearing it out to open up the property, and to allow me to fence it in. There are a lot of little sapplings and trees that will also have to be uprooted, to which I may have my neighbor, who has a larger back hoe, tackle those.
Looks great.

Pallet Forks can change your life…just sayin’.

Great job on the fence and creative use of the implement. 👍