Newbie question, tiller attachment

Jj-M

Equipment
Kubota L Series
May 13, 2024
Salvisa, KY
Hello,
I'm trying to learn to use a tractor at 60, and am still learning a lot as I go. I have a question on my tiller attachment for an L series tractor. I was tilling and ran into an area that felt a little too tippy for my current comfort level, so I backed up without lifting the attachment or turning off the PTO. They whole system shut down. I could get it restarted once I turned off the PTO, but I'm now seeing this on the back of the tiller where it transfers the PTO motion to the tiller.

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal, and I just need to lube something. Or if I've blown something out that needs professional help. Any thoughts?

Attachments

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Looks to be just weeping from use. Check the gearbox fluid, top off if needed, tighten the plugs and go about your tilling.

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I backed up without lifting the attachment or turning off the PTO

That's a really,really BAD thing to do !
Please next time, turn off PTO, raise the tiller, THEN move on......

'weeping' is bad, eventually it'll run low or out of oil, gears will overheat, then it's open the wallet time !
Best to lightly tighten the plugs, maybe 1/4- 1/2 turn and clean the area.

Reactions: 1 user

Jj-M

Equipment
Kubota L Series
May 13, 2024
Salvisa, KY
re: I backed up without lifting the attachment or turning off the PTO

That's a really,really BAD thing to do !
Please next time, turn off PTO, raise the tiller, THEN move on......

'weeping' is bad, eventually it'll run low or out of oil, gears will overheat, then it's open the wallet time !
Best to lightly tighten the plugs, maybe 1/4- 1/2 turn and clean the area.
Thanks much! Yeah...I'll be more careful next time!