L3400 PTO engagement

stanjar

Equipment
L3400
Aug 3, 2021
WI
I bought a used L3400 a few years back and went to use the PTO for actually the first time and could not get the PTO to engage. With the clutch fully depressed it continues to grind like the clutch is not depressed at all. Looked around at the linkages under the tractor and didn't see anything ab-normal. (I use it for skidding wood a bit) I also thought I could engage the PTO with the tractor not running but the safeties on the tractor will not allow it to start. (It only has about 450-hours) Any advice - really don't want the expensive implement repair bill.

Thanks

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I bought a used L3400 a few years back and went to use the PTO for actually the first time and could not get the PTO to engage. With the clutch fully depressed it continues to grind like the clutch is not depressed at all. Looked around at the linkages under the tractor and didn't see anything ab-normal. (I use it for skidding wood a bit) I also thought I could engage the PTO with the tractor not running but the safeties on the tractor will not allow it to start. (It only has about 450-hours) Any advice - really don't want the expensive implement repair bill.

Thanks
This must be a dt model? If so it is likely that the clutch disc is sticking to the flywheel

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
WHAT model is it (other than a L3400); Gear or Hydrostatic? Since it's two completely different ways to engage it.

If it's HST, try to lube the cable and make sure it's moving and not broken... The older HST had a smaller PTO bracket that was prone to breakage. The replacement bracket (hst) is larger...

I think the gear model is a direct handle to the 3rd photo (not 100% sure).

Attachments

Last edited:

stanjar

Equipment
L3400
Aug 3, 2021
WI
WHAT model is it (other than a L3400); Gear or Hydrostatic? Since it's two completely different ways to engage it.

If it's HST, try to lube the cable and make sure it's moving and not broken... The older HST had a smaller PTO bracket that was prone to breakage. The replacement bracket (hst) is larger...

I think the gear model is a direct handle to the 3rd photo (not 100% sure).
Thanks for the input - its a old fashioned gear shift model.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Not sure about dt model - its a gear shift (4 speeds and low/high range)
DT means dual traction, eg. four wheel drive ( not HST) It think the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel due to lack of use. Sometimes they can be jarred loose but in most cases the only recourse is to disassemble the clutch

Reactions: 1 user

BastropMetal

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400
Dec 20, 2022
Texas
I have the same tractor (L3400 gear drive) and the same issue as you stanjar.

Were you successful in getting the flywheel and clutch unstuck? If so, what did you do?

My tractor has just over 800 hours on it. I've spent some time googling around and I've found a few cases of this issue happening on this model of tractor