Genuinely curious.... are any emissions systems better for the environment?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
...the improvement in air quality is not solely due to the mandate that diesels use cat urine and water injected into the exhaust.
Pretty sure it was cleaned up long before I could legally drive, and that was early 2000s 🤣

don’t look into macro particles from dpfs, they are good for ya

Reactions: 1 user

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
So improved air quality.... well that's good but that can be done with just a well tuned modern diesel without fancy stuff correct? Even just a high pressure rail.... Seems that we really don't know if it's helpful to the environment as a whole or just makes us feel better

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
Since I live near the Susquehanna, I had to look it up. All I found was this article from 1940: fire Maybe you have more information.
Sorry my old brain burped up the wrong river..... It was the Cuyahoga River! Thanks for the heads up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
DEF works but DEF adds cost to an already expensive powertrain system. For this reason, and many more, that's why we're paying more for goods and services since the vast majority of transport equipment and harvest equipment uses +75hp diesel engines.

We did a study at work a while back. We have a GMC pickup and a Ram pickup. Ram is gas, GMC is diesel. We had to deliver a piece of equipment to Indianapolis, and chose to use the GMC because it's a little more fuel efficient. Not a month later, we found out that we had to go BACK to Indianapolis to pick that machine up (repo) so to study, I took the ram.

The ram is a little less expensive to make the same exact trip. Why? Diesel costs more, maintenance & repair costs more, and then you add DEF into that. A box of DEF is about $25 now locally including tax.

That same trip in the ram ends up about $110 less expensive if you figure it all in. So with that said, we're going to keep the GMC another year (it's coming up on 5 years old) and it will be sold, and not replaced with another diesel-powered vehicle. Probably just keep the ram.

Note that they are both the same exact truck, 2500 series no frills, only real difference is one is a duramax and the other is a 6.4. Rear gearing is nearly the same, tires nearly the same, pulls the same trailer, etc.

Emissions stuff has always been a good thing, but has always cost consumers a little bit of money to implement it. That also means a boost in tax income for the man.
For def fluid in a truck, your better off to pull into a truck stop, go through the big truck side, and purchase def at the pump. It's $4 a gallon or $20 for 5 gallons, versus $30+ for the card board box at the gas station or auto parts store.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
For def fluid in a truck, your better off to pull into a truck stop, go through the big truck side, and purchase def at the pump. It's $4 a gallon or $20 for 5 gallons, versus $30+ for the card board box at the gas station or auto parts store.
True although I have never seen a DEF pump around here anywhere

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
True although I have never seen a DEF pump around here anywhere
Check the local truck stop and go to the semi truck side. It will be with the diesel pump if they offer it.

Granted if you have old truck stops that haven't been updated, then chances are good they don't have def.

Here, the little mom and pop truck stop down the road from me added a def pump at the semi truck islands. They happen to have an off road diesel pump at the same island, so that's where I get diesel for my tractor and happened to noticed that they added a def nozzle.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Check the local truck stop and go to the semi truck side. It will be with the diesel pump if they offer it.

Granted if you have old truck stops that haven't been updated, then chances are good they don't have def.

Here, the little mom and pop truck stop down the road from me added a def pump at the semi truck islands. They happen to have an off road diesel pump at the same island, so that's where I get diesel for my tractor and happened to noticed that they added a def nozzle.
I know the Irving nearby has diesel but no DEF, I have never seen a DEF pump in NS Canada it would be interesting if theres any near me

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Next time there is a classic car show in town check it out. When you are driving home and get stuck behind someones classic car spewing noxious fumes you might have youthful memories of how all cars and trucks had stinky exhaust fumes.................
Our state issues "historic vehicle" or some sort of tag for oldies. Almost all of them stink worse than Chrysler products*:) I believe the main cause of the stink in that case is many of these cars get driven so infrequently that the gasoline is half varnish.

* For years, whenever there was an obnoxious odor from a vehicle up ahead it was a Chrysler minivan.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
See who is endorsing what, and follow the money from there

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had hung out here a while reading posts about kubotas do's and don't, what works and what don't and I also read the emissions were coming. That pushed me into buying and my tractor was delivered in the spring of 2013. No emissions.
I love it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I'm not real convinced that emissions controls are real benefit however... A better running engine is. More the fuel is fully burned, creating BTUs which is the 'driving force'. Greater efficiency = lower emissions per mile/workhour.
I grew up with stinky exhausts. 6 mpg. The first effort was to clean the exhaust, which netted worse mpg and poor running. Now we get 30 mpg or better and have a lot of water dripping from exhausts.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
So improved air quality.... well that's good but that can be done with just a well tuned modern diesel without fancy stuff correct? Even just a high pressure rail.... Seems that we really don't know if it's helpful to the environment as a whole or just makes us feel better
I know that my old 2000 pre-emissions tractor gave me a splitting headache every time I used it more than 30 minutes, and I can operate my new tier 4 tractor all day with no sinus headache. So, yes it’s better for my environment and makes me feel better.