Expecting a problem next door....

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Unless you actually record him committing a theft or sabotage of your property, you're not likely going to get any satisfaction from the law with a possible exception of a Tresspass after Warning (assuming you also put up the signs). Same goes for the dogs, if your state/county/municipality has any 'dangerous breed' laws. If they exhibit any aggressive behavior at all on your property, put 'em down and bury the bodies. You have a tractor, the last part is easy. Don't give 'em the chance to be dangerous, and make sure no one can prove you did anything. Mail the collars back to him via general post with no return address from a downtown mailbox as a courtesy to let him know not to keep looking for them. I love dogs too, but I have ZERO patience for an aggressive large dog, especially where kids or gentle animals are involved. Aggressive little dogs (under 50 pounds) typically learn manners very quickly if they mess with me. A rolled up newspaper isn't going to do much to deter a 150 pound pittie, though. That normally requires a rolled up 9mm. 10 times out of 9, the only purpose of having aggressive pit bulls is to guard something that is probably not on the up and up. Check the leash laws in your county/municipality. If restraints are required, he's clearly in violation, and the sheriff shouldn't need a warrant if he 'sees' the animals roaming or if a complaint is filed. If you make a complaint, make sure you don't get named in it. Then the sheriff can coincidently discover whatever other violations are going on and involve other agencies as needed. If your friend wants, there's NOTHING that stops him from looking into anything that looks suspicious. He may not be able to search, but loose dogs typically don't have to be searched for, especially if they're being aggressive with him while he's just making a 'neighborly visit' to the newcomers.

As far as your security cameras are concerned, whatever they capture has to be on your property if you are going to file a complaint and use the video as evidence. At least that's the way it works in Alabama. Unless subpoenaed for possible coincident video content because of your camera location, NOTHING recorded on his property with your recording device is admissible for prosecution. In fact, recording anything on his property is invasion of privacy, and can turn something around on you pretty quick. Make sure whatever you record is on your property. My neighbor recorded a coyote standing in front of my shop (in my back yard). It was pretty cool to see and good information, but my first question ("Why are you looking in my back yard?") drew a VERY quick apology from him as well as an immediate adjustment of the camera. It's very serious business to record someone else's activities on their own property, however well intended. Law Enforcement is required to get warrants for such. Don't foul up your standing with LEO's or make their job harder (because it'll tip off the butthead next door that he's being watched). Do what you can to get eyes on, but if you show any recorded evidence from any property but your own, you just might create bigger problems for yourself than what you're reporting. Oh yeah, don't forget to turn your cameras off if you have to handle the aggressive pit bull situation the way they normally have to be handled.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You must have a local building inspector.
CALL HIM!
Tell him that you would like him to investigate the sewage disposal.
Ask him to NOT divulge who complained!
Or county health officer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yote - I think you're on the right track regarding the "sewage disposal". Regarding the dogs, if your username implies something different to what I would imagine, perhaps you could borrow one of (North Idaho Wolfman) NIW's "pets" to resolve the issue? ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Worked in Western PA briefly around 1978 and stayed in a somewhat less than 4 star hotel outside Zelienople that our company rented for us. Mebbe Harmony? Anyway, the owner said he found an old mine vent that he used for his "drain field".
If you are ever in the Burgh and look up toward Mount Washington, you will notice the stone hill side, which at one time had a bunch of coal mines the spider webbed all over the top of the hill. Manys a home that was tapped in to those old workings, before all the health regs made homes tie in to the then new sewage system.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
HAd an old Navy Chief that use to say there in no personal problem that can not be rectified with a suitable application of high explosives ,, just what he use to say
I enlisted in the Navy in the early 90's and got to experience some of the old timers before they exited. That was a different Navy back then. Salty old dudes for sure!

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I enlisted in the Navy in the early 90's and got to experience some of the old timers before they exited. That was a different Navy back then. Salty old dudes for sure!
When I was a newly minted Ensign in the Navy (1964), another young officer told me:
The chiefs run the Navy, they will make your life easy.
SO TRUE!

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Not to state the obvious here but. . . why not walk over there and have a neighborly chat with him. You may find your assumptions about him are wrong, or not. Seems to me that having your legitimate concerns known would be a good first step.
At the worst case he could never say that he was unaware.

I had considered that option but then decided against it for a couple of reasons... He is giving off the persona of being a young punk. Heavily tatted over arms, neck, legs, and torso, wearing a thick chain around his neck, hat turned around backwards, and always shirtless blaring a large skull tatted on his back. His appearance makes me think that HE thinks he's some sort of gangsta wannabe who wouldn't perceive a conversation about his living arrangements very warmly. And I'm a guy who doesn't sugar coat things and will say exactly what I think. I am also an extremely quick tempered guy who has little self control when I get angry, unfortunately. Combine all of this, and I think a conversation would only go south, quickly. And to be very honest, I don't think anyone would appreciate a neighbor coming over and questioning them on their living arrangements, and being nosey. I know I wouldn't.

I think my best option is to be aware of what's happening and act accordingly if anything becomes a problem.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I think my best option is to be aware of what's happening and act accordingly if anything becomes a problem.
I think that the problem has already taken root. Since we pay taxes to hopefully get service, get on the local officials to clean up that hog pen.