Dual clutch operation

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
Bonaro, I would think if you could use the PTO for an extended period of time would have more effect on freeing the clutch rather then just giving it a chance on a stump. With a tiller you could use a stick to hold the clutch down and work it for an hour or so. Anything beats having to split it, if you can avoid it.
Well, I mowed off 4 acres of scotch broom this summer, working the clutch often. I tangled with numerous root balls and dirt hills because the area is rough...never broke free.
I could try the tiller...hold the clutch all the way down and just let it eat dirt for a while
I agree, splitting the tractor is my last resort

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is all a learning experience for me. I agree with 'Cat that something like a tiller with some occasional shock load would be a good choice.

Of course, hitting stumps and dirt mounds with a 'hog probably hits pretty hard too...

Hope you can get it free without splitting it.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
This is all a learning experience for me. I agree with 'Cat that something like a tiller with some occasional shock load would be a good choice.

Of course, hitting stumps and dirt mounds with a 'hog probably hits pretty hard too...

Hope you can get it free without splitting it.
Me too. I already split the front axle off the tractor once and it was no fun. Separating in half would be a chore

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Bonaro
I agree with D2cat you could try attaching a roto-tiller or post hole digger to pto shaft, engine operating & implement lowered to ground with clutch pedal depressed & hope load loosens pto clutch from pressure plate. But my guess is as I previously stated a tractor split will be required.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In as much as I don't know a dual clutch from dual wheels I was suggesting a method to free a stuck clutch that I've used in the past.

Just take it apart and have fun then..... sheesh. People here certainly have thin skins.

Don't assume that because you have a 'dual clutch' that every tractor in tractorland has one. No the case.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
In as much as I don't know a dual clutch from dual wheels I was suggesting a method to free a stuck clutch that I've used in the past.

Just take it apart and have fun then..... sheesh. People here certainly have thin skins.

Don't assume that because you have a 'dual clutch' that every tractor in tractorland has one. No the case.
To clarify the topic there are dual clutches(traction & IPTO) such as your M9000's & ""dual stage"" clutches(traction & pto)controlled by clutch foot pedal & then there's single clutch(traction with trans driven pto)

I've noticed as I've aged my skin bleeds/cuts easier than 65 yrs ago so I guess you're correct my skin is thinner than it was! :)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If I was 65 again, I'd be a w***e. I guess my M's are in essence dual clutch but the clutches are wet clutches. Big difference. They don't seize or wear appreciably either. Nothing in the bellhousing but a damper plate. Why I bought them in the first place.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
My choices are now limited. First, I adjusted all the play out of the clutch and took a piece of metal and jammed the clutch pedal all the way down. Then I welded a piece of pipe to a cold chisel and reached into the inspection hole to try to drive it between the PTO disk and pressure plate. Not working out. I soaked the disk with penetrating oil and closed it back up.
I will just shift the PTO before starting the engine this season and maybe get lucky and it will break free in use. Otherwise I will remove the loader and split the tractor next winter.
20210117_162601.jpg 20210117_163247.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a D2 with stuck steering clutches. There are 12 plates with notches all around the OD, and they were stuck together. I bought a gallon of KROIL and poured it in the housing. It soaked and I eventually got them apart. Here's what they look like. Might try this soak, if possible.

1611077546000.png

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
I had a D2 with stuck steering clutches. There are 12 plates with notches all around the OD, and they were stuck together. I bought a gallon of KROIL and poured it in the housing. It soaked and I eventually got them apart. Here's what they look like. Might try this soak, if possible.

View attachment 53624
Kinda what I did. I soaked the disk and plate with PB Blaster, we will see if it helps.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Kinda what I did. I soaked the disk and plate with PB Blaster, we will see if it helps.
If you want some real challenging soil to work with your tiller and maybe work that PTO clutch free, you could come over to my yard and give it a workout on some real rocky soil. I noticed that you are from Olympia, WA. I am not too far from you about 6 miles outside Yelm, WA. If tilling in my yard does not free it up, nothing will.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
If you want some real challenging soil to work with your tiller and maybe work that PTO clutch free, you could come over to my yard and give it a workout on some real rocky soil. I noticed that you are from Olympia, WA. I am not too far from you about 6 miles outside Yelm, WA. If tilling in my yard does not free it up, nothing will.
I think all the cantaloupe size rocks you have out in Yelm would probably kill my tiller pretty quick

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I think all the cantaloupe size rocks you have out in Yelm would probably kill my tiller pretty quick
I promise that the rocks on my property are bigger than cantaloupes. If it would make the job easier I could dig them up with my box blade first. C'mon, take a chance and extend my wife's garden. We want to plant more corn this year.:)

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
I promise that the rocks on my property are bigger than cantaloupes. If it would make the job easier I could dig them up with my box blade first. C'mon, take a chance and extend my wife's garden. We want to plant more corn this year.:)
I have seen the rocks you have, average size is like a basketball.
I would need to start with a JD-450 with some ripper teeth and follow up with a small excavator....you rent it and I will run it. I will even buy the corn seed

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have seen the rocks you have, average size is like a basketball.
I would need to start with a JD-450 with some ripper teeth and follow up with a small excavator....you rent it and I will run it. I will even buy the corn seed
Nah, we have been using heirloom seeds that we originally got from annie's seeds many years ago. They are doing fine year after year. As a matter of fact, we have been using heirloom seeds for all our veggies for many years.

Getting back to your tractor, if you are able to get into some really tough soil with that tiller, you may just shake that PTO clutch loose. Also, if you use the PTO for some time during this next season, it may shake itself loose and operate normally after some time. If it is not urgent to get it operating the way it is supposed to, I would suggest operating it the way that it is and see if time and use will get it working again.

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
Nah, we have been using heirloom seeds that we originally got from annie's seeds many years ago. They are doing fine year after year. As a matter of fact, we have been using heirloom seeds for all our veggies for many years.

Getting back to your tractor, if you are able to get into some really tough soil with that tiller, you may just shake that PTO clutch loose. Also, if you use the PTO for some time during this next season, it may shake itself loose and operate normally after some time. If it is not urgent to get it operating the way it is supposed to, I would suggest operating it the way that it is and see if time and use will get it working again.
The problem is the two stage clutch. In order to allow the PTO clutch to work itself free, I will need to depress the pedal all the way down and the trans clutch will be disengaged. Tractor stops going forward and load drops off. I have tried backing up to a stump and dropping the bush hog on it. I will do that some more

Bonaro

Equipment
L275DL
Mar 30, 2017
Olympia, wa
Hooked the mower up and dropped it on a couple root wads and a stump with the clutch depressed. The PTO clutch still did not break free. I dont want to break the PTO shaft so I will just plan on splitting the tractor next winter...bummer