Corrosion in ECU - M100X

Koosje

Equipment
Kubota M100XDTC - 2011
Sep 16, 2017
Fairfield County, CT
The M100X fuel related problems got so bad that the tractor runs but can no longer take a load, starts bogging down, sounding like a helicopter. All things related to fuel have been tried, changing and bypassing filters etc. Problem is intermittent. Information center shows no errors. We finally broke down and took it to a dealer who put it on Diagmaster. Showed a failing injector #1. Ordered injector. Then dealer pulled the ECU and noticed it corroded. It is located under the batter and they all corrode? New ECU?? Can we clean ECU and why does it appear to work fine relaying the codes to info center? Please share your inputs, or help to avoid spending big $$$ on new ECU?? We are in the middle of haying and at a big loss...

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sometimes, electronics can be washed and returned to service. It depends on the amount of corrosion. In your case, I'd first dab a Q-Tip with a mix of baking soda and water (distilled) on the most severely corroded area. Does it bubble? If so, you def. have an acidic corrosion issue. The next question is how bad. Baking soda too, will conduct electricity. But you need to neutralize the acid. That means a gentle scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and baking sode/distilled water untill the bubbling stops. Then a full rinse and gentle scrubbing with distilled water until all traces of the baking soda are removed. Then a gentle blowing with compressed air to remove the water followed by placing in a 100 degree over for a few hours to evaporate any residual water.
If the first Q-Tip test did not revel any bubbling, then you have a base corrosion and that can be removed by vinegar and a rinse followed by the baking soda and a rinse and drying.
About 80% of the time, I have been successful in restoring items. Sadly, inn some cases, the corrosion was so bad that parts were eaten away and unless you are capable of testing and have access to parts, it is a lost cause.
Best of luck.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is it the pin connectors that are corroded or internally in the ecm? If it's the pin connectors, then clean with contact cleaner and mild corrsion remover. Just make sure power is disconnected before doing so.

Another place to check as well is in any fuse holders in the wiring harness. I've had some ecm controlled equipment come through the shop where you would have bet your pay check it was fuel or filter issues. Issue ended up being a corroded fuse base.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Remember these tractors were shipped over from Japan on a big boat, through salt water. I think that the salty humid air for the trip may have contributed to some corrosion in the ECU connectors, but I may be wrong.

Koosje

Equipment
Kubota M100XDTC - 2011
Sep 16, 2017
Fairfield County, CT
Thank you for thinking along in this....we were able to get the computer board to a computer guy with microscope. He did the best he could, rewelded some prongs, but declared it fine. The connectors are fine and dry. And the connection to Diagmaster works. The internal information system returns E-C57....indicating the ECU - please advise if there is more detail. It will not continue its internal check and hangs on 1.
Apparently this location on the M100's has been changed to a mounting near the airfilter, due to too many corrosion issues. If you see the housing of this ECU you will understand - totally corroded and rusted. As a network engineer myself I am astounded of the poor protection of this expensive unit. Exposure to water, air, dust, vibration, impact....it is crazy!! We are awaiting a new ECU and we need to sell a TON of HAY to PAY....any takers?
And maybe ....does anyone know where I could obtain the schematics of the ECU layout?

Koosje

Equipment
Kubota M100XDTC - 2011
Sep 16, 2017
Fairfield County, CT
Re: Corrosion in ECU - M100X TROUBLE

Update: Well, the new ECU is no different than the old one, so now we are even more in the dark. Anyone, please, anyone have any suggestions? Internal info center code is E-C57::( Earlier on, there were some indications that the 1st injector maybe bad, and the Diagmaster cannot shut that one on or off. We are replacing the injector now.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Thank you for thinking along in this....we were able to get the computer board to a computer guy with microscope. He did the best he could, rewelded some prongs, but declared it fine. The connectors are fine and dry. And the connection to Diagmaster works. The internal information system returns E-C57....indicating the ECU - please advise if there is more detail. It will not continue its internal check and hangs on 1.
Apparently this location on the M100's has been changed to a mounting near the airfilter, due to too many corrosion issues. If you see the housing of this ECU you will understand - totally corroded and rusted. As a network engineer myself I am astounded of the poor protection of this expensive unit. Exposure to water, air, dust, vibration, impact....it is crazy!! We are awaiting a new ECU and we need to sell a TON of HAY to PAY....any takers?
And maybe ....does anyone know where I could obtain the schematics of the ECU layout?
Get them from your dealer with Diagmaster, they would have it.

Trose

Equipment
Kubota m100x
May 15, 2024
Victoria
Re: Corrosion in ECU - M100X TROUBLE

Update: Well, the new ECU is no different than the old one, so now we are even more in the dark. Anyone, please, anyone have any suggestions? Internal info center code is E-C57::( Earlier on, there were some indications that the 1st injector maybe bad, and the Diagmaster cannot shut that one on or off. We are replacing the injector now.
Hi. Im just wondering if you resolved the issue with your m100x. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Cheers. Tom

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hi. Im just wondering if you resolved the issue with your m100x. Mine is doing the exact same thing. Cheers. Tom
Tom,
The last post by the OP was 7 years ago!
Doubt very much that you will get a response.

Trose

Equipment
Kubota m100x
May 15, 2024
Victoria
Tom,
The last post by the OP was 7 years ago!
Doubt very much that you will get a response.
I assume the original poster would get an email notifying of a response on his post? I know it was quite a while ago but worth a try isn’t it?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I assume the original poster would get an email notifying of a response on his post? I know it was quite a while ago but worth a try isn’t it?
Perhaps.
My comments/responses only show up if I log on to OTT to read them.
If he never logs on, he will likely never read/see your request.
In 18 months he has only logged on 3 times, and those happened at the beginning of the thread.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This is an old thread, but anyone wanting to protect electrical circuits might want to spray the board down with TriFlow. I used to do this regularly for electrical equipment up at the Kilauea Volcano in Hawaii and we never had a single failure in the near 10 years the atmospheric monitoring equipment was at the site. Our test site was near to the Pu'uloa vent with lots of nasty stuff like chlorides and sulfides.

I used to use TriFlow on the circuit boards of electrical equipment in my house given the proximity to Kaneohe Bay and the tremendous amount of chlorides in the air. It worked incredibly well and prolonged the life of the equipment by years.

Reactions: 1 user