BX23S Hydraulic thumb on backhoe

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Very interesting. I've been thinking about a hyd thumb, and started searching for info.

If it can be done, self-contained to the BH, that's more luring to me than adding a 3rd function.

Has anyone succeeded in their efforts to make it happen?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Very interesting. I've been thinking about a hyd thumb, and started searching for info.

If it can be done, self-contained to the BH, that's more luring to me than adding a 3rd function.

Has anyone succeeded in their efforts to make it happen?
I am not sure of the distinction you are drawing. Adding a hydraulic citcuit for a thumb to the backhoe is in essence a "third function".

Could you explain the distinction you are making a bit more clearly?

Dan

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I have a BX23S. Between lack of reach on the BH and having to turn the seat around to go get a rock and bring back to lets say build a wall, it all seems such a waste to me. Now on a mini x thats where the hydraulic thumb shines! You have the reach and can easily go and pick up rocks and relocate. To each their own! I guess it makes the BX feel like a big tractor? I do have the manual thumb. I use it to remove big rocks while trenching and other digging projects and it works fine.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I am not sure of the distinction you are drawing. Adding a hydraulic citcuit for a thumb to the backhoe is in essence a "third function".

Could you explain the distinction you are making a bit more clearly?

Dan
Alright, maybe the hyd thumb is a 3rd function. My thought of that...confusion...stems from the FEL and its ability with a grapple or clamshell bucket. With all my recent intake on the topic, my thinking and comprehension got a scosche short circuited.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Any more updates on this topic? I am still thinking about it now that warmer weather has arrived. Any thoughts on the cylinder that I located?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Any more updates on this topic? I am still thinking about it now that warmer weather has arrived. Any thoughts on the cylinder that I located?

The obvious solution to your thumb situation is to just BUY a B26 TLB with hyd. thumb.
You could simply sell your B23S.
Perhaps Hagrid would even buy it, ......if he needs a second lawnmower?:giggle: