BX1500 Transmission Issue - Power to Only One Wheel

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I hope I did this right…. Tractor in 4WD. Turned off tractor. Jacked up one front wheel and it turns freely. I did the same thing with other front wheel and it also moved backward and forward easily.
If you're 100% sure your engaging the 4wd, then you have something in the drive that is bad.
Do the same test and see if the propeller shaft is spinning when you spin one tire.

1712280373211.png

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
If you're 100% sure your engaging the 4wd, then you have something in the drive that is bad.
Do the same test and see if the propeller shaft is spinning when you spin one tire.
So, I believ you have solved my problem! I looked to see if propeller shaft is spinning and it isn’t. It looks like Part 160 in the diagram you sent has fallen off. I’m guessing pin (part 180) broke or fell off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So, I believ you have solved my problem! I looked to see if propeller shaft is spinning and it isn’t. It looks like Part 160 in the diagram you sent has fallen off. I’m guessing pin (part 180) broke or fell off.
Curious how that wasn't just rattling around in there?
Check the Splines on both ends if they are good, just put a new roll pin in there.
If it goes in real easy use a wire to secure it in place.

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
Curious how that wasn't just rattling around in there?
Check the Splines on both ends if they are good, just put a new roll pin in there.
If it goes in real easy use a wire to secure it in place.
I found this part. I can’t tell for sure if pin is just pulled out enough to cause part to slip out or if pin is bad, so I will probably just find a new pin.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I found this part. I can’t tell for sure if pin is just pulled out enough to cause part to slip out or if pin is bad, so I will probably just find a new pin.
How do the spines on the inside of the joint look?
And how do the splines on the shaft look?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had the same thing happen on my BX 2200. I bought a new new U-joint and installed it, and believe it or not I later found the old U-joint laying on the top of my mower deck. (guess I should blow the grass clippings off more frequently)

In my case, the splines were fine and I ended up with a used, but good spare.

Reactions: 1 user

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
They look as good as new. I feel confident that I can get everything re-attached (famous last words)!
It definitely sounds like an issue with the wiring.

When it happens does it ever start spinning the engine or just always the clicking (until you “jump the starter”)? When it does the clicking you could try a wire from the positive battery terminal directly to the spade on the solenoid (which you are kind of doing).

Make sure the wire to the solenoid is getting 12volts when turning the key to start if you have a meter. Often people add a relay into the wiring to make sure the solenoid is getting the voltage and amperage needed. There are safety switches that are used in that circuit that may not be operating correctly when it is cold.
I thought I had the starting problem solved, but apparently not. After I solve my transmission problem, I’m going to take some time to sort the wiring. I know I’m getting a parasitic drain.

Steveatusl

Equipment
BX1500
Jun 16, 2018
Littleton, Colorado
I had the same thing happen on my BX 2200. I bought a new new U-joint and installed it, and believe it or not I later found the old U-joint laying on the top of my mower deck. (guess I should blow the grass clippings off more frequently)

In my case, the splines were fine and I ended up with a used, but good spare.
I didn’t have mower attached when I started having my problems. That sure made troubleshooting much easier. After I identified that I was missing the U-joint, I remembered finding a black metal piece in the pasture several months ago that I thought must have belonged to a PTO implement. Yesterday, I concluded that that piece was my missing U-joint. Much to my amazement, I was actually able to re-find the piece up in my barn.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The OEM (original equipment manufacturer) wheels were powder-coated inside and out. When you find a tire that is slipping on the rim, the best way to fix it is to use an old-fashioned bead breaker and push the bead down with the tire lying flat on the ground. Then sandpaper the inside edge of the rim. If the tire is fluid-filled, then you will need to do only the valve side of the tire. Reinflate to seat the bead and your tire problem is usually resolved.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The OEM (original equipment manufacturer) wheels were powder-coated inside and out. When you find a tire that is slipping on the rim, the best way to fix it is to use an old-fashioned bead breaker and push the bead down with the tire lying flat on the ground. Then sandpaper the inside edge of the rim. If the tire is fluid-filled, then you will need to do only the valve side of the tire. Reinflate to seat the bead and your tire problem is usually resolved.
I take it you missed that he found the front propeller shaft completely disconnected, ;)
Kind of makes the wheel in the spinning rims a moot point. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I take it you missed that he found the front propeller shaft completely disconnected, ;)
Kind of makes the wheel in the spinning rims a moot point. :ROFLMAO:
Nope, I saw that he found the problem, but someone reading this 2 years from now might appreciate the tip on how to stop the rim from spinning inside the tire. ;) Sometimes if it is mentioned enough times it will sink in and they will check that as a possibility before going crazy looking for other issues. Teaching how to diagnose a problem is where I am going with my post along with your diagnostic advice. There will be a day when we are both gone from this world, however, our printed words will continue to help educate others in the future.

Reactions: 1 users