Build Land Plane

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Greetings All, anyone build a land plane for 3PTH, if so could you show plans and measurements with pictures if possible? Thanks later

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Greetings All, anyone build a land plane for 3PTH, if so could you show plans and measurements with pictures if possible? Thanks later
olekid, I made one from some borrowed parts off of my box blade. I can put them back on the box blade when that's needed again. I use the land plane much, much more than the box blade. Here's a link to some pics. see post #6

Pull type leveling box scraper land leveler | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

hope this gives you some ideas. I didn't draw up any plans but I could take some measurements for you.
David

Reactions: 1 users

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
There’s a few builds on here, with measurements. Best way to do it is find one for the size and weight of your tractor, take pics and copy it. That’s how I built this one. Copied a friends.
AC77ADB5-2E9A-4A84-B833-28C1EA87230E.png
B62D842F-A773-47D1-AA91-D0631F438821.png
097E6038-9301-4BF9-8E17-91756919AE2B.png

Reactions: 3 users

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
olekid, I made one from some borrowed parts off of my box blade. I can put them back on the box blade when that's needed again. I use the land plane much, much more than the box blade. Here's a link to some pics. see post #6

Pull type leveling box scraper land leveler | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

hope this gives you some ideas. I didn't draw up any plans but I could take some measurements for you.
David
Greetings Bird Dogger, if you would send me some measurements I would appreciate it. The 2 angle pieces going from 1 side to the other are they level with the side pieces or below them a little so as to bite into the gravel?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Greetings Bird Dogger, if you would send me some measurements I would appreciate it. The 2 angle pieces going from 1 side to the other are they level with the side pieces or below them a little so as to bite into the gravel?
hi olekid, I'll try and get some measurements for you tomorrow if I can. The two angle pieces going from side to side are welded in place and provide the support to mount the cutting blades borrowed from the box blade. You are correct in that the two cutting blades are mounted so their cutting edges are below the side plates. I don't remember the exact distance, offhand, but I believe they extend downward 3/8 to 1/2 inch below the side bottom edges.

But regarding dimensions: everything was built off the removed cutting edges from the box blade. so depending if you go that route your dimensions could vary. But I'll send you dimensions of the materials I used.

Reactions: 1 user

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Depending on the size of your tractor, you may not want to make a huge land plane if you have a BX. You don’t want to lower it and have it stop your tractor. I made mine (blades) 60” wide, and the two AR Steel blades are 5/8” below the side rails. I measured the angle of 15 degrees L to R on the blades.
The longer you make the side rails, it will cut flatter. I made mine the size it is because I got that size side rails from a friend.
Mock it up first. The 60” blades at an angle makes the width approx 58.5”. You need a little weight, but too heavy is a hindrance.

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Depending on the size of your tractor, you may not want to make a huge land plane if you have a BX. You don’t want to lower it and have it stop your tractor. I made mine (blades) 60” wide, and the two AR Steel blades are 5/8” below the side rails. I measured the angle of 15 degrees L to R on the blades.
The longer you make the side rails, it will cut flatter. I made mine the size it is because I got that size side rails from a friend.
Mock it up first. The 60” blades at an angle makes the width approx 58.5”. You need a little weight, but too heavy is a hindrance.
Thanks bearskinner for the info, my winter project is about to begin. Later

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's some materials/measurements off my home made land plane: (it's covered in snow and somewhat frozen down so measurements are as close as I could get at this time.)

Side Channels: 1/4" thick 2.5"x10" channel 48" long made from pieces I had on hand.
Top cross braces for hitch mount: 3/16" thick 3"x3" square tubing 60" long
Angled braces for bolting the cutting edges to: 3/16" thick 2.5" angle x 60" long
Cutting blades removed from box blade: 60" long

I can put a "weight tray" across the top of this plane but found it isn't really needed. the land plane itself it plenty heavy. But even with the weight tray in place and loaded with railroad tracks for weight, my older JD750 (20 HP) had no troubles pulling it around in 2 wheel drive.

If you're making one to go behind your B7510 you shouldn't have any troubles pulling a 5 footer around, or bigger if you're thinking of a 6 footer. They pull pretty easy as most of the material is spilling over the top edges of the blades.

My blades are angled about the same as bearskinners. Also, no engineering was done, just used materials that were laying around. :)

Here's a couple more pics showing those pieces. the 2nd pic shows the plane put together except the box blade cutting edges still need to be bolted into place.
IMG_1190 (2).JPG Land Plane Fabrication.jpg

Last edited:

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Here's some materials/measurements off my home made land plane: (it's covered in snow and somewhat frozen down so measurements are as close as I could get at this time.)

Side Channels: 1/4" thick 2.5"x10" channel 48" long made from pieces I had on hand.
Top cross braces for hitch mount: 3/16" thick 3"x3" square tubing 60" long
Angled braces for bolting the cutting edges to: 3/16" thick 2.5" angle x 60" long
Cutting blades removed from box blade: 60" long

I can put a "weight tray" across the top of this plane but found it isn't really needed. the land plane itself it plenty heavy. But even with the weight tray in place and loaded with railroad tracks for weight, my older JD750 (20 HP) had no troubles pulling it around in 2 wheel drive.

If you're making one to go behind your B7510 you shouldn't have any troubles pulling a 5 footer around, or bigger if you're thinking of a 6 footer. They pull pretty easy as most of the material is spilling over the top edges of the blades.

My blades are angled about the same as bearskinners. Also, no engineering was done, just used materials that were laying around. :)

Here's a couple more pics showing those pieces. the 2nd pic shows the plane put together except the box blade cutting edges still need to be bolted into place.
View attachment 53207 View attachment 53208
Greetings bird dogger, between you and bearskinner I have lots of info and idea what to do, Thanks guys for the help, appreciate it . Later

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
One more thing, when I fabbed up the blades(4” AR steel flat stoc) , I backed them by adding some 2” 3/16 flat stock to make the blades into T configuration so there is no deflection . I only stitch welded them about one inch every six inches or so.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We made one at work, and I have one at home that has been configured two ways. The first picture is one we fabbed for smoothing some gravel areas at work.

The next two are of the one I made for here at home. In it's first rendition, it was suspended and pulled with chains. It worked OK, but was a little unhandy for casting material right and left. Using it here with the B7500 years ago to make a parking area at one of #2 Son's rentals.

The current configuration is with an old pipe flange for added weight and rotation control.

IMG_0477.JPG
P1010081 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1475.JPG

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
post up some pictures of your build as it was going and how you finished it off

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Greetings bearskinner, put job on hold,corona virus, I live in country and have to go city for metal, not going there for a while until I feel safe, city folks are too wishy washy when it comes PPE and to being considerate of others. When I start I will document it. Thanks, later

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Greetings bearskinner, olekid here, thanks to you and birddogger for all the info. I finally finished a custom scarifier and land plane for our driveways, its 54 inches wide, the scarifier teeth are 11/2 inches long, I can move the shoes down to set them at 3/4 inches long, I think i set them 4 inches apart. It slides into a 2 inch receiver, If I don't want to use the scarifier I have a piece of flat bar 11/2 inches wide that I bolt onto the 3 inch angle iron. So far it does well in the road tests, suits my needs. Should it wear out fast I'll get better quality metal for the teeth and 11/2 flat bar, thanks again guys, later

Attachments

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Do you get potholes on your road?
the weight of a large land plane, helps to evenly cut and redistribute the road gravel and fill any low spots, while taking down high spots.

olekid

Equipment
Apr 9, 2013
Do you get potholes on your road?
the weight of a large land plane, helps to evenly cut and redistribute the road gravel and fill any low spots, while taking down high spots.
We don't get any pot holes in the 300 feet of driveway, the scarifier will be used mostly for keeping the weeds and grass in line, they seem to have really started to take over the driveway this year. I put the flat bar over the teeth to freshen up gravel after the teeth do their job.