Advice on buying Kubota to replace old Cub Cadet?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi,

Long story that I'll condense as best I can. My tractor, a 129 CC hydro, is a 1972 model, built by IH. Engine is a Kohler K-301. These old engines, from what everyone tells me, were virtually bullet proof. I've used it now for 47 years. Over that time, various things have gone wrong (though relatively minor for the most part), and a bit more major engine work just a few months ago. All was working fine until the other week when a rod broke. I know this cause I pulled the head and noticed the valves are working but not the piston. I am uncertain as to what to do. This has been a highly dependable tractor and so a part of me is inclined to put a rebuilt Kohler 301 engine in it. On the other side of the coin, the entire tractor is the same age as the engine and no knowing how long all the other parts will last.

So, I'm faced with deciding on what I want to replace it with (if that will be the chosen option). Any suggestions? I do not hear good things regarding MTD - at least relative to the new Cubs. And, have talked to many people in the business that suggest fixing up this old Cub is the better way to go. I also hear stories about almost any new tractor as only lasting 3-5 years. A family relative has had a Kubota for over 20 years and has only good things to say about it.

A local Kubota dealer has suggested that the GR2020 would be a good replacement for my Cub. Any thoughts or advice on this?

I need something that has a good amount of weight to it since I also plow large amounts of snow at my property when we get significant storms.

Thanks for any suggestions...
I have two Kubota lawn tractors in thst class.

The G2160 HST is a RWD diesel with PS, 60" deck and rear bagger. Excellent lawn tractor with a beautiful cut.

The G2460 is the gasoline version of the G2160 and and no bagger. It is also an excellent lawn tractor but I much prefer the diesel.

I would not be excited about plowing snow with either of them.

Both were purchased used and have given me hundreds of hours of service. If I could turn back the clock and especially if I was going to plow snow I would opt for a nice used BX with deck and plow blade. They are solid little 4WD tanks and definitly a step up when it snows.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes the Kubota gr2020/21 does have a reverse safety system.
I just press the button when I first engage the mower. I need to frequently use reverse so this prevents me from stalling out when I backup/reverse ( set it & forget it )
KRA sucks and serves no useful purpose. I totally disabled it on both my lawn tractors long sgo but still cant forget the aggravation.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Tried out the GR2021 (identical to 2020 except that the 21 has the diesel engine). The dealer only had one 2020 but it was still crated.

Rides nice...love the wide rear tires, turning radius, and the deck attachment is somewhat similar to what I'm used to on the Cub. Now...the only thing is the stamped deck (only 1 year warranty !?!?) . I'm sure it'd do the job. The Simplicity I looked at has a fabricated deck that carries a lifetime warranty BUT also weighs like 300 lbs. That deck is built like a tank but looking at it it's just so complicated.

Any thoughts on how these stamped decks hold up? Deck looks fairly easy to remove. He showed me where it has to be detached from the PTO, and yet part of the driveshaft stays attached to the deck - just seemed a bit weird.

Overall, I think I'd feel more comfortable with the Kubota than the Simplicity.

Unfortunately he didn't have a snow plow / attachment to show me but he said that guys who have them report it being easy to attach/detach.

Biggest concern, of course, is the durability for the $9300 price point. The cost is certainly not a deal breaker but I'd hate to pay it and find out that the thing only lasts 3-5 years like I hear many of the big box tractors do. Still considering fixing up the Cub...think it's now between the Cub and the Kubota. I'm sure the BX / sub-compact line would be great, but for my purposes I think a bit of overkill. The 2020 would undoubtedly serve my needs.
Consider that the BX will hold its value, but a garden tractor will not. And the loader is something that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it after you use it awhile.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Consider that the BX will hold its value, but a garden tractor will not. And the loader is something that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it after you use it awhile.
I just realized this thread is 8 years old and got bumped yesterday by someone making a totally out of the blue remark about KRA......

Dan

• Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
me neither, then again light gray on white isn't easy for me to read ..
sigh, getting old sux......

course now I'm curious as to what he chose !!!!
I'd kinda like to have his Cub too !!