front tire chains for B3030

pybyr

Equipment
B3030, loader, snowblower
Jan 4, 2010
VT, USA
The front tires on my Dad's Kubota B3030 sometimes have difficulty maintaining traction and slide sideways, even in 4WD, when snowblowing when there is an icy base under newfallen snow. This is a concern because there are ditches to slide into alongside the driveway.

The tractor has the industrial/ implement bar-type tires, not the "lawn" tread tires. The rears have double ring chains, which work great but don't solve the front issue.

Is it possible to mount tire chains on the front wheels?

If so, any types of chains to prefer or avoid? [been wondering about the "Z" cable chains?]

Suggested sources for chains (good selection/ good price)?

Thanks!

ovrszd

Equipment
M9540
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
You'll hear all kinds of opinions about this. If all you are going to do with it is light work such as snow removal and you are just trying to prevent front tire skidding, I'd say you can mount chains and have no problems. I'd buy what is known as 2-link, straight crossbar, ice chains. They have a V welded to each link which digs into ice real well. They would be hard on a paved driveway though so not sure what you are running on.

The chains on the right in this link. http://www.tirechains.com/Garden-Tractor-V-BAR-Chains.htm

If you are going to do heavy pulling or hard loader work, I'd say leave the chains alone. You'll be putting a LOT of stress on the front axle driveline.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
The front tires on my Dad's Kubota B3030 sometimes have difficulty maintaining traction and slide sideways, even in 4WD, when snowblowing when there is an icy base under newfallen snow. This is a concern because there are ditches to slide into alongside the driveway.

The tractor has the industrial/ implement bar-type tires, not the "lawn" tread tires. The rears have double ring chains, which work great but don't solve the front issue.

Is it possible to mount tire chains on the front wheels?

I've got a B3030 too and have the exact same problem you have and looked it over the other night after getting stuck at the neighbors on a very slight grade but nothing but slick under both front and rear. As near as I can determine NO you can't put chains on the front because the tie rod ends are to close and don't give you enough room.
You may try it of course and it may clear by just a bit, but chains move and it wouldn't take much and you'd get into that tie rod end and do some costly damage quick. I won't risk it myself and I've run enough chains in several applications and know when to back away.
Oh, if you could buy or make a spacer ( rear spacers are available from Kubota for sure ) and move the wheel and tire out an inch then the chains might work.
Mine has R4's 23x850-14 front and 12.4-16 rears. I'm going to call the nearest Discount Tire store to me that does tractionizing for $10.00 per tire and see if they can micro sipe them to see if that helps. May help some and definitely works on flat ground.
Al
PS: if you do come up with a solution please post what worked!!!
I will do the same too if I have them siped.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
You may try it of course and it may clear by just a bit, but chains move and it wouldn't take much and you'd get into that tie rod end
My only suggestion would be to use double, maybe triple tensioner bands to keep them dead tight to the tire to minimize "creeping."

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Update:
I picked up a set of chains from my Kubota dealer Ginop's that are about as helpful and knowledgable as one could hope for to try for fitment. They will clear the tie rod no problem but like most chains will need to be cut to length.
I got the standard cross links and they're the standard ones used on most lawn and garden tractors and in my opinion ( I'm not keeping them ) not heavy duty enough for my needs. I'm going to order the heavier more agressive cross link style that have the lugs for bite instead of the standard chain. The tractor is plenty heavy in the front with the blower on it so I believe it will still slide sideways with the less aggressive chains. Since they're good enough to let me take them to try I'm not going to chance scratching them up by actually using them and since it's not my first rodeo when it comes to using chains my "educated guess" is they'd be a waste of money. Knowing the terrain I have well and having used the tractor for the last 4 years I know what situation causes the front end to slide and it's going to take a set of chains far more aggressive than standard to prevent it. The more aggressive will bite into the ice better for traction too.

There's my two cents worth of opinion.
Al