Oil filter / What is turbine oil - ?

L2I'm60

Dec 20, 2009
Croton, Ohio
Kubota -- 1973? L260 (Z1300, 26Hp-2Cyl) manual/2WD

* #140 turbine oil ?
Owners manual says to use “#140 turbine oil” in the hydraulic system.
The trany calls for 90W gear oil.
- Settling for Kubota UDT as the hydraulic oil.
+:confused:What exactly is #140 turbine oil and what’s its replacement for this application?

*Which Oil filter ?
Don’t see how a typical spin-on oil filter will fit!
Clearly the engine oil filter should be an element type filter, housed inside a metal housing-cover/sleeve . A good size bolt goes thru the center of the
element/housing cover.

Parts manual has two references to two (2) oil filters:
“Filter Cartridge (15213-32430)” [OR] “Ass’y cartridge oil (15213-32090)”, both of which I think are the typical spin-on filter.
-Kubota dealer wanted to sell me a typical spin-on filter p/n: 15213-32090 for $21.00 . I think it’s a replacement for p/n: 15213-32430.
-Local auto parts store has a Fram cross-reference, to both an element & a spin-on type oil filter. Element type looks like it might work!
+What gives….. can anyone verify what filter (or element p/n) I should or could be using, other than trying the Fram filters with out knowing for sure.

*Any one know of a “good” service manual p/n, dedicated to this tractor and not one that includes all “L” series tractors?

* Plan on changing all fluids since it only has 250 Hrs logged.
+ Any suggestions or recommendations for additional maintenance?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Check the articles on this site. They have a lot oof information on which filters will fit waht tractor.

Changing all fluids is a good idea, don't forget to clean the suction screen for the hydraulics.

At a guess the #140 turbine oil would cross reference with 140 wt gear oil. you should be fine with the udt oil, I run universal hytrans in both my L175 and my Allis Chalmers WD.

Robert

Reactions: 1 users

L2I'm60

Dec 20, 2009
Croton, Ohio
Re: L260 Oil change

I have several other questions when it comes to changing the oil.
The following is a condensed description of an oil change for an L210.
From what I can tell it’s very similar to my owners manual, except for the part regarding access to the Filter#1 - “screen”. My manual gets a little sketchy here.
Can I expect the same?
I am not sure if Filter#1 - magnetic plug and the oil strainer , ( “to be cleaned every 75Hrs” ) requires the removal of an 8 bolt crankcase access panel in order to clean it and the inside of the crankcase itself using kerosene.
If this is the case, I’ll need to know the p/n for the gasket for the access panel to seal off the crankcase.
If not what other gaskets or O Rings will I need?
In any case, do I really need to do this every 75Hrs.? …. Then on every other oil change, clean and/or replace the Filter#2 - canister style paper element filter?
Assuming I stick with the canister filter.

Just to clarify, my owners manual indicates the tractor has two separate systems for the hydraulics and transmission.
- #80W gear oil for the “Main gear case”
- Hydraulic/turbine oil #140 for the “Hydraulic system tank”
That’s why I had the question regarding #140 oil. Still planning on using Kubota UDT, 80/90, SUDT for the hydraulics but thought that using something lighter might be appropriate for colder temps.

73L260

Equipment
1973 L260
Oct 25, 2021
Lockport, Mb Can
Re: L260 Oil change

I have several other questions when it comes to changing the oil.
The following is a condensed description of an oil change for an L210.
From what I can tell it’s very similar to my owners manual, except for the part regarding access to the Filter#1 - “screen”. My manual gets a little sketchy here.
Can I expect the same?
I am not sure if Filter#1 - magnetic plug and the oil strainer , ( “to be cleaned every 75Hrs” ) requires the removal of an 8 bolt crankcase access panel in order to clean it and the inside of the crankcase itself using kerosene.
If this is the case, I’ll need to know the p/n for the gasket for the access panel to seal off the crankcase.
If not what other gaskets or O Rings will I need?
In any case, do I really need to do this every 75Hrs.? …. Then on every other oil change, clean and/or replace the Filter#2 - canister style paper element filter?
Assuming I stick with the canister filter.

Just to clarify, my owners manual indicates the tractor has two separate systems for the hydraulics and transmission.
- #80W gear oil for the “Main gear case”
- Hydraulic/turbine oil #140 for the “Hydraulic system tank”
That’s why I had the question regarding #140 oil. Still planning on using Kubota UDT, 80/90, SUDT for the hydraulics but thought that using something lighter might be appropriate for colder temps.
I see this is an old thread, My 2 cents are as follows. See if anyone agrees or sais No way!. My local Kubota Dealer suggests draining the Hydrolic system and putting ISO 32. Currently My L260 has some Red Fluid in it which he sais is not correct.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I see this is an old thread, My 2 cents are as follows. See if anyone agrees or sais No way!. My local Kubota Dealer suggests draining the Hydrolic system and putting ISO 32. Currently My L260 has some Red Fluid in it which he sais is not correct.
I run ISO 32 in the Farmall C Touch Control (hydraulic) system. Hydraulic and transmission sumps are separate.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Kubota -- 1973? L260 (Z1300, 26Hp-2Cyl) manual/2WD

* #140 turbine oil ?
Owners manual says to use “#140 turbine oil” in the hydraulic system.
The trany calls for 90W gear oil.
- Settling for Kubota UDT as the hydraulic oil.
+:confused:What exactly is #140 turbine oil and what’s its replacement for this application?

*Which Oil filter ?
Don’t see how a typical spin-on oil filter will fit!
Clearly the engine oil filter should be an element type filter, housed inside a metal housing-cover/sleeve . A good size bolt goes thru the center of the
element/housing cover.

Parts manual has two references to two (2) oil filters:
“Filter Cartridge (15213-32430)” [OR] “Ass’y cartridge oil (15213-32090)”, both of which I think are the typical spin-on filter.
-Kubota dealer wanted to sell me a typical spin-on filter p/n: 15213-32090 for $21.00 . I think it’s a replacement for p/n: 15213-32430.
-Local auto parts store has a Fram cross-reference, to both an element & a spin-on type oil filter. Element type looks like it might work!
+What gives….. can anyone verify what filter (or element p/n) I should or could be using, other than trying the Fram filters with out knowing for sure.

*Any one know of a “good” service manual p/n, dedicated to this tractor and not one that includes all “L” series tractors?

* Plan on changing all fluids since it only has 250 Hrs logged.
+ Any suggestions or recommendations for additional maintenance?
Did it occur to you to “Google” the phrase “140 turbine oil”..?? Dozens of examples pop up available for purchase. (It’s basically an ISO32 synthetic hyd fluid.)