M7040 skid plate

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Finally almost finished with fabbing up a skid plate for the M7040, working around brush and roots and sticks we've sheared off pretty much all the lines underneath at one time or another and the main line twice once with a stick and once with a snowbank. Also have dented both hydraulic filters as well as tweaked the rear brake linkage. Used a 2x2x 3/8 thick angle iron that runs from the front to rear of the tractor, it has a notch where it goes past a high spot in the transmission and its bolted in six or so places using the 16mm bolt holes, tapped out one hole on the transmission to 16mm and cleaned out the rest. Put some tabs on the angle iron and fitted 1/4 inch steel plates, the plates are small enough to remove. Its bolted solidly along the spine, and so far tied into the flimsy guard under the hydraulics and with a heavy strut anchored to the rear axle, using the plate where the rear sway links hook to the rear axle. Will have to get some pictures but this should protect all the hydraulics and filters.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yes, pics would be nice.

fast*st

Equipment
M7040, L2900, F550 ford, Yanmar vio70 excavator, Case 580, JD 350 dozer, JD 644E
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Will try and get a couple tonight, last final bolting that needs doing and welding on one more tab to finalize it. Get everything painted and so far looking good.

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Skid plate built and completed, The tabs point away from the fuel tank, two holes to the right hit the two forward 16mm bolt holes in the case, the third hole back hits a 14mm bolt hole. All the small holes are 10mm tapped into 1/4 thick 2x2 angle bits welded onto the main bracket

Rear half of the main bracket, the notch clears the hump in the transmission, the second to the last bolt is right next to the drain plug, 14mm x 1.0 The last hole is an untapped hole in the transmission/axle that I ran a tap through. Gussets to reinforce around the notch.

Forward plate, lined up on the main bracket and all holes drilled through first, tapped. then threads drilled out of the plate to make the bolts a snug fit with very little play, the relief was cut on both sides and across the middle then hammered into a gentle ridge about 3/4 inch deep to clear one stupid hydraulic line that hangs way down close to the main engine case. Slot for drainage and leak detection. Rear tab is a piece of scrap 1/4 inch plate welded on, holes drilled and 2 10mm nuts spotted on the back to join the plates together.

Rear plate section, narrow part aims rearward, plates are 22 inches long, no threaded holes in this one, made in small pieces for easy removal.

Rear gusset/bracket, remove one forward bolt on the lower arm bracket where its clamped around the axle housing, that bolt goes through the large hole, bracket hangs down, reinforced with a 1x1x1/8 angle iron, one bolt attaches to the main runner and two nuts spotted for the tail of the rear plate.

Skid plate installed, front half, tire chains installed!

Looking at the rear half, should protect the filters valves hoses and linkages!!

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
I'm thinking one more brace up to the trans case about mid way down should make it more than strong enough in case of high centering on something, present config should keep all the brush and branches out of the vital bits.

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Call it a slightly up-armored Kubota. I don't understand why big orange put the main bucket and auxiliary valve where they did. There is a loaf of bread sized hole directly above, in line with the top of the trans, lots of room for hoses and valve stacking and easy cable adjustment access. The relief bulge in the forward plate clears one vital part by 1/2 inch or less, that hose had been removed several times by small and moderate branches. Poor little hose being the absolute lowest part of the tractor besides the tires.

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
just for fun drove slow over a frozen ice bank, the plate sheared a chunk of ice off and did a great job protecting the hoses and valves. Hopefully this will be the end of having to replace random hoses down below!! Awesome!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You've got to be running over heavier brush than we have around here... I think we call stuff that would drag off hydraulic hoses "forest".
Great looking skid pan!

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
You've got to be running over heavier brush than we have around here... I think we call stuff that would drag off hydraulic hoses "forest".
Great looking skid pan!
Well, sticks around an inch in diameter can weasel up in there and use leverage to snap off fittings and bend linkages as well as crack the filters. Yeah, its heavier than scrub :)

ovrszd

Equipment
M9540
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
Good job on your skid. Takes some head scratching doesn't it!!! :confused:

I built something similar for my M9540. As you can see in the attached pics I used expanded metal to protect the side near the filters. Easily removed with four 5/16 bolts, nuts welded to the screen brackets.

The skid clears the drain plugs and should only have to be removed to do major repairs. Bolted on using six existing threaded holes.

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
That looks nice and yeah, not sure why any sane engineer would put all that stuff on the bottom anyway

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That looks nice and yeah, not sure why any sane engineer would put all that stuff on the bottom anyway
Who ever said engineers were sane?? Remember they dont have to work on it after we tear them up,,lol

ovrszd

Equipment
M9540
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
Yeah, first problem I had was brush unplugged one of the solenoids on my 3rd function valve. While I was fixing that I noticed one of the filters was dented. Freaked me out. Had this vision of being down in the timber somewhere and knocking a filter off!!! I built mine before I went back in the brush.

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
Seems like it'd be a good idea if engineers were like folks in a machine shop, you start doing the finish work, to see what a good deburring job looks like, then move up to deburring to see what good machining looks like. then up to machining to know how to make a good part that doesn't require a lot of work. So an engineer should work in a kubota repair shop for a couple years to see what problems arise in day to day use and all the repair difficulties.

ovrszd

Equipment
M9540
Oct 4, 2011
Missouri
Seems like it'd be a good idea if engineers were like folks in a machine shop, you start doing the finish work, to see what a good deburring job looks like, then move up to deburring to see what good machining looks like. then up to machining to know how to make a good part that doesn't require a lot of work. So an engineer should work in a kubota repair shop for a couple years to see what problems arise in day to day use and all the repair difficulties.
I agree. I'm afraid it's more about economics than overcoming recurring problems.

Another example of this is automobiles and keys. In the next 5-10 years automobile keys will become obsolete. The only reason they are still offered is for operator peace of mind. They are not needed at all. I run a 2012 John Deere 770G road grader. The only use of the key is to lock the doors. Starts and stops by pushing buttons.

Not offering skid plates on tractors saves the manufacturer a few dollars. Consumers still buy them as fast as they can make them. So why add production costs?? :mad:

fast*st

Equipment
Jun 26, 2012
Northern Mass
They should follow the lead of another black and orange (Harley) company, Sell the average product and then have a massive inventory of accessories and such, of course it'll hurt Tractor Supply, Kubota's go-fast store.