Kubota Diesel Motorcycle

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Very nice. Out of curiosity, what lathe do you have?
I actually have three. A 12 x 36 Craftsman/Atlas bench lathe, a 15 x 60 Enco, and a 27 x 120 Lehmann. I was thinking maybe we should start a thread, something like 'Show us your shop and equipment', and I'll post some pictures when I get it looking respectable. Go ahead and start it, Lil Foot, I know you have a lathe too!

Yooper, that is fine work! I really like the five dowels. Makes me think of the time I popped all the heads off the flywheel bolts of a race engine (over rev) and the dowels held everything in place long enough to shut down. Flywheel and crank were toast but, I walked away.
With this design the bolts provide load/friction between the flange and flywheel that will transfer torque and the dowels will also lock the flange and flywheel together providing a redundant system. Again great work! Jeff
That looks excellent!
Thanks fellas for the compliments! At the risk of sounding arrogant, I like what I see too!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was thinking maybe we should start a thread, something like 'Show us your shop and equipment
Excellent idea, been thinking the same thing myself- but give me a few days. I'm in the middle of moving equipment/wiring/re-arranging my shop to make room for my latest acquisition- I'm replacing the 9x20 lathe with a 12x36. :D
Been stalled since Wednesday afternoon till Monday morn- my bolt & nut guy closed early for the holiday, right when I found out I needed bolts/nuts for leveling jacks. Stay tuned.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Shop....... someday. Never had that luxury. Hell never even had a garage.

Since I got back into the dream of an Expedition Vehicle* by getting an LMTV and right now planning to plop on back of that an Ambulace box. So am planning a smaller shop/Garage space build out than originally thinking.

I know sounds backward..... but makes since... cause all the tools are going to be mounted in a former moving truck box (20?x8x10?) that will sit on a Low boy trailer. Right now I park the Bota in there. Thus with this won't have to build a shop with room for all the tools AND shop space to work. Trailer will get mounted My 220 welder (Harbor Freight) Air compressor etc.. Along with awning/tent to work under. Most time it will get parked next to future shop with a sliding barn door to access tools in trailer.

The Expo Truck will have my 220v Yanmar (clone) Genset already. With this can pull trailer and all tools to work where I often do minor upkeep, maintenance, Fab work, and it could do much more with other tools at hand like my welder (got major non portable Trampoline repair job to do for example). Then can help out friends at their houses on projects etc. as well. Gotta pay my dues for all the help others have given me by passing along good deeds to another.

Right now all my tools been slowly collecting is stored haphazard in a tiny shed.

*diesel bike is meant to go with diesel Expo Vehicle.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Great job, looks fantastic.

I've only got one lathe, a 17x60. I do 4x4 off road truck (rock crawler) stuff, and wanted to be able to do everything I need with one lathe, so I made sure it supported a broad range. Over 2k rpm max, 7.5 HP, full range of metric and imperial threading at the flip of a lever, 5" of both compound and tail stock travel (something I routinely ran out of on my old lathe), collets up to 15" 4 jaw work holding range, and almost finished fitting a hydraulic tracer if I can ever get back to working in the shop after finally giving in and having both knees replaced this summer. Other than that, typical Bridgeport 2J, surface grinder, a range of drill presses, a range of belt grinders from a 1" Rockwell up to Porter Cable G8, Blue welders from MM175 up to Syncro 350, plasma cutter, full range of benders, and so on. Also about half way through putting together a medium sized forge. And decent wood capability as well.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

I've only got one lathe, a 17x60. I do 4x4 off road truck (rock crawler) stuff...
The fellow I stared my build with on this bike; beside being an Adventure Motorcylist, is very heavy into 4x4 stuff. His stuff (eventually settling into mostly Isuzu based rigs) is amazing. On Expedition Portal he's got a thread going on a steerable trailer for intricate offroading he built.

Unfortunately this summer a lightening storm took out his Lathe and a few other items.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/165644-Steerable-Trail-Trailer

Last edited:

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin

I've only got one lathe, a 17x60. I do 4x4 off road truck (rock crawler) stuff, and wanted to be able to do everything I need with one lathe, so I made sure it supported a broad range. Over 2k rpm max, 7.5 HP, full range of metric and imperial threading at the flip of a lever, 5" of both compound and tail stock travel (something I routinely ran out of on my old lathe), collets up to 15" 4 jaw work holding range, and almost finished fitting a hydraulic tracer if I can ever get back to working in the shop after finally giving in and having both knees replaced this summer. Other than that, typical Bridgeport 2J, surface grinder, a range of drill presses, a range of belt grinders from a 1" Rockwell up to Porter Cable G8, Blue welders from MM175 up to Syncro 350, plasma cutter, full range of benders, and so on. Also about half way through putting together a medium sized forge. And decent wood capability as well.
Russ, please post pictures when Lil Foot gets the thread started. I would love to see them!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I havent got a clue about what you did or how you did it, but by GAWD it looks pruttery,, :D
It a pleasure to see something a man that knows what he is doing, has made something from nothing so to speak, and to be that detailed and perfect. I have nothing but respect for all you guys that can do things like that!!!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I havent got a clue about what you did or how you did it, but by GAWD it looks pruttery,, :D
It a pleasure to see something a man that knows what he is doing, has made something from nothing so to speak, and to be that detailed and perfect. I have nothing but respect for all you guys that can do things like that!!!
Thanks Skeets!

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Making the retainer bolt out of 4140 hex stock. I want to turn this all in one set up. Note the shoulder under the head. This is just a few tenths of a thousandths smaller than the bore of the clutch to insure concentricity.

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
just flabbergasted...... this is helping with the build soo so much.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
After all I've seen you machine, I can't believe that anything would be a challenge for you. Your machining skills are incredible.
Well, I appreciate your confidence in me. The challenge is the long carbide end mill that I have to use to mill the keyway up to the flange. Not a lot of rigidity with a 1/4" end mill sticking out approximately 3". My depth of cut will probably be only .010" per pass, and I will feed it by hand. Looking forward to the challenge!

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The challenge is the long carbide end mill that I have to use to mill the keyway
Can you do it with a woodruff cutter held in a nice solid extension?
Like this: (except on the mill instead of lathe)

Attachments

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Good job for a slotter. An E head has up to 4" stroke, and you have essentially unlimited stroke if you do it with a boring bar on the lathe.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Oh, and I had a clearance job something vaguely like that for a 3/16 EM. I built a long EM holder to support the EM down to the job. Looks to me like you have enough room for a pretty decent support holder and still clear the flange.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Can you do it with a woodruff cutter held in a nice solid extension?
Like this: (except on the mill instead of lathe)
That was my first thought because I do have a cutter. A machinist friend of mine talked me into the end mill way instead. Guarantees it will work if the end mill is sharp.

Good job for a slotter. An E head has up to 4" stroke, and you have essentially unlimited stroke if you do it with a boring bar on the lathe.
Unfortunately, I don't have one. If one comes along at the right price, I will have one.