Tachometer Assembly Malfunction

A7red

Equipment
L175
Jul 30, 2012
Tallmadge, Ohio
A few months ago the tachometer on my L175 quit working, it just stays at zero all the time. I figured out that it's the assembly that is mounted on the engine, because I unscrewed the cable, spun the wire with my hand, and the meter jumped. Then I started the engine and the little gear in the assemble wouldn't move, so I'm pretty sure the assembly is froze. Is there a way to unfreeze it or would I have to buy a new one? I'm guessing a new one would cost $100-$150. And where could I get one?

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Welcome to OTT A7red, are you good with a dremmel tool? You'r going to have to repair the tach drive unit yourself or find a good used one and good luck doing that. That's one part they dont sell new from my research. If you take the unit off you will most likely find that the blade is sheared off the end of the gear. That blade looks like a screwdriver tip that fits in the slot of the injector gear. You will see what I mean when you remove it. It's four 10mm nuts that holds the unit on and it may need some tapping with a brass hammer or it might just come off easy, mine was stuck tight. You can take the unit apart clean and polish it up so it will turn nicely when you are done. What I did was to first smooth the end where the broken blade was then using my dremmel I cut a slot where I inserted a proper length and width piece of steel. then I drilled a small hole through and used a small role pin to secure it. Some guys just weld a washer to the end but I cant weld. Mine works great now. Be sure to not lose the spacer washers and remember where they were. Pack it with high temp grease when your done also and service it every year where it wont lock up again. Hope this helps some.