Safety Switch? Question

thecoopers

Equipment
B2920, endloader, bellymower
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
Our B2920 Hydo Kubota has experienced chronic starting problems for many months. We have been putting up with it, wiggling things to get it started.

It seems as though I have localized the starting problem to a part located under the forward/reverse area of the deck (where your feet rest while driving),

There is a part underneath the deck that has two wires coming in from the end facing the back of the tractor from a wiring harness up under the seat.
This part then has a a round metal body then towards the front of the tractor and then a rubber boot covering a round metal piston type rod part (3/8") that can be pushed backwards. The end of the rod seats against another rod coming from the front of the tractor that seems to have some linkage to the forward/reverse pedals.

When I push in a screwdriver where the two rods meet and the piston of the safety switch is pushed in (towards the back of the tractor) and leave the screwdriver in, the tractor will start every time.

I think I can loosen the safety switch and move it forward which will force the piston "in" and maybe then the tractor will start like it is supposed to.

Should I do this? Will it hurt anything? What is the purpose of this part? Does anyone have any thoughts that would be helpful to me?

Thank you,

Joe

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

If the safety switch in question can be unpluged, use a jumper to bypass the switch and see if it starts easier, thus indicating the switch is faulty. Will do no harm to bypass safety switch.

Ron

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA

If the safety switch in question can be unpluged, use a jumper to bypass the switch and see if it starts easier, thus indicating the switch is faulty. Will do no harm to bypass safety switch.

Ron

Other than defeating the safety mechanism and allowing the tractor to move when not expected.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Other than defeating the safety mechanism and allowing the tractor to move when not expected.
First off, I did not advocate permanently disabling the safety switch, only a way to check it.

Second, how were we able to survive for many, many years before the concept of safety switches was even available? Yes, they became available because of some mishaps, but all in all, they still can be operated safety.

Ron

P.S. Safety switches don't necessary mean the tractor is safer, only that stupider people can operate them more safely.

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The saftey switch under the seat is put in place incase you fall off the tractor it kills power to the engine. My thing is if you fall off the tractor you're pretty well up Shitts Creek!

murky

Mar 30, 2012
Vancouver, WA
First off, I did not advocate permanently disabling the safety switch, only a way to check it.

Second, how were we able to survive for many, many years before the concept of safety switches was even available? Yes, they became available because of some mishaps, but all in all, they still can be operated safety.

Ron

P.S. Safety switches don't necessary mean the tractor is safer, only that stupider people can operate them more safely.

I didn't mean to sound like a smart Alec. I was with the post up until the "won't do any harm" part.

The clutch safety switch on my tractor is currently bypassed. I'm not real happy about that. The previous owners did that and also clearly never used the seat belt which was rusted solid, so I have these things on my mind.

I'm new to operating a tractor and don't really have any adult supervision. I do stupid things all the time like try to start with the engine kill pulled out. I'm probably one of those stupider people in spite of my education, so I appreciate the additional precaution measures built into the tractor.

thecoopers

Equipment
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
So ... putting the debate of pros and cons of safety switches aside, does anyone know if the switch can be adjusted? Would spending X number of dollars to purchase a manual tell me how to adjust the safety switch? What should I do?

Thanks,

Joe

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
While I do not know for sure, I would imagine that the clutch safety can be adjusted. You need to crawl under there and look at how it's mounted. Once you have eyes on it, the method required to adjust it should be obvious. You should be able to easily accomplish this without a manual.

Secondly, the manuals are worth every penny that you'll spend. You should have the Owner's Manual, the Workshop Service Manual and the Parts Manual. You can get a Parts Manual download at no charge.

thecoopers

Equipment
Jan 25, 2010
Reliance, TN
Thank you for your reply. Where would a person find the free download of the parts manual?

Thank you,

Joe

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Parts Manuals at no charge: www.tractorsmart.com ---- click on the Manuals tab then use the drop down boxes to fill in the required info --- sit back and wait ---- you'll receive an E-Mail with a pdf download.

Did you try the "Search" feature ----- ??? I'm guessing not.

navy599

Equipment
BX220 KING KUTTER 48 TILLER. 5 FT REAR BLADE, 2750 SNOW BLOWER, FEL, REAR BAGGER
Apr 30, 2012
Tolono, Illinois, U.S.A.
Just wondering if this is some kind of variant of a neutral safety switch? If you adjust it make sure in the end that the tractor is actually in neutral when you find a starting position. just sayin..

mason57

Equipment
B2920
Sep 4, 2012
Barre, Vt
Was there any follow up on the switch? I had to wiggle mine to start the tractor. My dealer says there is going to be a recall on this.

avpowerstn

Equipment
B7200, FORD 545A (cream puff)
Jul 15, 2012
Lancaster,CA
ROFLMAO I do not mean to go off topic...ROFLMAO..I have been around computers since I built my first "IBM XT clone" (the MS DOS era) and that is the best animated GIF I have ever seen..lol lol ROFLMAO.
lol lol ROFLMAO.

Ron