Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Fabrication & Customization

Fabrication & Customization Show off and share the details of your custom improvements to your tractor, your truck or anything else you get your hands on.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
ranger4327

Equipment: L3800
Default 3PTH Ballast Box

Looking to make a 3PTH ballast box for my L3800. I am thinking of using cement in some sort of form, with the 3pth encased in it. Whats the cheapest way to accomplish this? Anyone have any ideas? Thoughts, pictures?

I am thinking of purchasing some sort of 3pth, building a form of some sort, and encasing it in cement....

was looking at Northern Tools at

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5619_200315619

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2832_200342832

and pouring cement around them in a form....will it work?

thanks !!!
ranger4327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Kytim
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Default Re: 3PTH Ballast Box

As far as the cheapest form material I can think of is a small steel drum like grease comes in. Or i saw one that someone had a short piece of plastic corrugated drain culvert. you could use the cardboard rediforms for pouring concrete columns and piers. braced up correctly a plywood box would be just fine and could be left on after curing too.

I'm sure there are many other great ideas out there.
Romans 10:13-15
B7100DT, B6000DT

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. Col. 3:23
Kytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
ranger4327

Equipment: L3800

Thanks Kytim.... I think I am good to go for the cement form, but any thoughts on the Draw bar and stabilizer in the links above from Northern Tool ? Just wondering if they would be rugged enuff for the weight of the cement.... Or should something else be better ?

I was just going to build a wooden form or use a plastic barrell kinda like you mentioned !!
ranger4327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Stumpy
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L175

I'd be worried about the cement cracking about the draw bar. That thing will have to endure a lot of jolting. I'd rather have it encased.

This is what Kytim is talking about. Might Dodge has pictures of his on page 2.

That thread has a lot of different options. Personally I'd go with a 55gal or 30 gal drum and weld the draw bar to it. I've seen something similar done with a metal trashcan which was then used as a ballast\salt bucket.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
moderatmixed
1st Yr. Apprentice

Kubota makes a metal box. I started down the same path as you, but by the time I priced the metal, considered the time to weld a three point hitch, etc I decided that the $200 was an acceptable price to pay. I filled it with concrete from Home Depot. I tilted the box by placing the rear on a 2x4 so when dry, the concrete top would slope from front to rear and any water would drain to the back of the box. Lastly I drilled 2 drain holes in the box to allow any water to drain off. The total weight is 480 lbs with concrete and some scrap metal that I through in to provide some structure. Too I added 2"U" bolts so as to provide lifting points. Some times it is just worth paying the price. The box has worked beautifully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_00000115.jpg
Views:	1881
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	5074  

Last edited by moderatmixed; 04-03-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add a pic
moderatmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
pat331
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger

Here is my counter weight. I haven't weighed it, but guess it weighs in at 800 to 900 lbs. I made it for at least 6 years ago and it shows no signs of cracking. I put a ball on the back to move trailers if needed. Please post pictures of your creation. Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Counterweight2.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5075  
pat331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Stumpy
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L175

Filled to the top!? Jeese the front tires must float with nothing in the bucket! I surprised it can lift that thing.

Correction, 55 gallons of concrete is a max of 500lbs or less depending on density. Fill'er up!

Correction to the correction, that number above is actually in kilograms. 500kg=1100lbs

Last edited by Stumpy; 04-03-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #8
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: Kubota B6100E

Do a search on here for ballast boxes, there's been all kinds of great ideas used in the past from fellow memebers!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Kytim
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow

As has been said, there are many ways/ideas to make a ballast box. If you notice I didnt say how I would make one.

If I was making one, 1/8th or 3/16ths steel welded box with welded pins and toplink and 2" receiver hitch external D rings and chain hooks all connected. poured concrete with mixed sizes of pvc pipe placed vertical for handles and chains. a molded in chicken coup and garden gnome. naw, forget the chicken but everything else would be good.

Not necessarily cheap way to do it though but, would be very versatile. oh, dont forget the slow moving vehicle sign.
Romans 10:13-15
B7100DT, B6000DT

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. Col. 3:23
Kytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
pat331
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger

My L35 handles the counterweight ok, but does groan. If my math is correct, a 55 gallon drum has a volume of appx. 0.27 cy. And a cy of concrete weighs in at 3000 lb/cy, so that figures to be about 817 lbs. plus all the steel I put in it. Maybe one of these days I can get the thing weighed. The L35 has a heavy FEL and the heavy counterweight is needed to keep the rear on the ground. I have to be careful picking up anything that maxes the FEL. The tractor is most stable with the BH on. I have water/antifreeze in the tires and would like to come up with some wheel weights to keep it grounded.
pat331 is offline   Reply With Quote