Power Steering conversion

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Has anybody added power steering to their tractor? I'm looking at this site and was hoping somebody on here might have some experience with them.

http://www.tractorpowersteering.com/

They don't list my model but the guy I've been in contact with says they can put together the correct components for my L225.
At the slow speeds you use when using the FEL, my L225 steering is very heavy. It gets worse when the bucket is loaded.

Tom

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I do recall seeing a few post's on here where people have added power steering. I do not recall who all has done it but I know I've seen it on around here. Be patient and some one will come along.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
are you using a kit for both of them?

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

quinka, if you do try them out, please post your installation (if possible, with photos) when you do. I also contacted them about my L235DT and was quoted something like $638.00, with some fabrication of some kind of mounting plate. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but would like to hear some input from those that have done this and their assessment of the performance.

Ron

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Has anybody added power steering to their tractor? I'm looking at this site and was hoping somebody on here might have some experience with them.

http://www.tractorpowersteering.com/

Tom
As a side note, they have the best price i've seen around on a hyd top link cyl. as well. bare cyl. not a kit. Almost $50 bucks less than Burdens surplus. wish they offered a tilt cyl too.

quinka

Equipment
L245DT with FEL and backhoe, B7100HST
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
I am getting the kit for the L245DT, but for my B7100HST, years ago, I purchased a full power steering system (minus pump) for cub Cadet but the hydraulic cylinder has only 5/8" piston.........not good for the L245 so I am using that on the B7100HST when I finish the loader for it, but a hydraulic pump is not necessary, you just use the tractor hydraulics from the FEL valve. Actually, it's relatively easy, you need to weld the hydraulic cylinder end on the arm (but you can bolt it one also) and the new steering column has rotary valve to move the piston, need to get the piston out half way, then set wheels perfectly straight and lock there.

I am 71 years old and I can do it, so for you youngsters it should be a "piece of cake".

You can also go to that website and download the schematic that shows how to do it, I did, but I don't need it, I just need the time to do it.

Service dept Vic told me to take my transmission out to see what the problem is, so I will do it all when I do that. I will be happy to send pics of the installation in progress. If you have questions, my email is newdes@gmail.com

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
Whoops, I said weld the hydraulic cylinder end onto the rod, that is incorrect, you weld the BRACKET for the hydraulic cylinder to the frame and attach the piston to the steering rod.

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
Hi guys,

Sorry but I haven't been able to get back here in quite a while. Thanks for all the response and input. I'm gonna do it as well but right now it's time to get the boat ready to be re-launched. Once that and a few other things are behind me I'll be tackling this. Look forward to some reports on installation and operation. I'll post mine as I do it.

Thanks again,
Tom

quinka

Equipment
May 6, 2011
Heflin AL
In the meantime, I am busy mowing 7 acreas with both tractors, whew! Maybe this fall I will build loader and add power steering to B7100HST, then pull the L245DT apart and fix shifting problem, and add power steering then. Will post when I do it. By the way, if you click on any of the pictures on that website, it shows the kits installed on several model tractors. Hope that helps.

Not a walk in the park, but not difficult either.

JohnL

Equipment
1984 B7100HST
Jan 9, 2011
Grand Isle. VT
I have a 1984 B7100HST with a FEL and would love to add power steering. Does anyone know of a certain kit that will work?

kubotaman

Equipment
l295 dt
Jan 16, 2011
pelion sc
i put ps on my l295dt . ordered the cylinder online . check out tractor power steering .com . not too bad of a job to install . may require some welding for the bracket and the drag link . refer to tapping the hydraulic lines vid by vic to supply the cylinder . make sure you dont hook up any lines bacward as it will blow your hydraulic pump . another 500 dollar expense . [ experienced this ] overall well worth the investment especially if you have a loader . tractor is now a pleasure to drive