Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
kemptvilleguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: LS 2500
Default Hydraulic Cylinder rebuild

I did a thread search and found one that said the cylinders were relatively easy to rebuild so I went ahead and got the seal kits. Maybe I'm missing something. The part that threads directly into the cylinder (believe its called the head) has an inner seal right in the centre of it. Does that "head" come apart into 2 peices? If so is it threaded or pressed? I cannot seem to figure out how to get that seal in withouth that head coming apart. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

Bruce
kemptvilleguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
Bulldog
Master Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Default Re: Hydraulic Cylinder rebuild

Is the seal you are talking about just a O-ring or what?
I really wouldn't think the head is pressed on. If it was the hyd pressure probably would just pop it off the rod.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
eserv
Journeyman

Equipment: B5000,BX24,F2560 Kubota, A1000 Kubota Generator, Bolens (Iseki) G154 with tiller

We use a special tool which twists the seal so we can get it in. I have managed to get them in there with a screwdriver too but I much prefer my tool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod-Seal-Installer-300x225.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	4134  
eserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Bulldog
Master Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

Eserv, I bet that little nugget does save you lots of time.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Dad03
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3200HST

I just replaced the seals on one of mine. The center seal came out with a pick and a little patience. The new one went back in by hand and a little more patience.
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
kemptvilleguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

So as it turns out, the Kubota dealer (by chance) gave me the wrong seal kit but was kind enough to exchange the wrong ones for the right ones. The centre seal was a peice of cake to get in as it was the correct thickness. I thought I was laughing but not so. There are 3 "rings" on the opposite end, 2 of which simply split and stretch off of the piston but the centre one is not rubber or is a hard rubber that doesnt retain its original shape and size after its been stretched and there is NO way that I can see to get it on without stretching it. I even tried soaking it in boiling water to no avail. I've mangled one already and am fit to be tied so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to get those on. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Bruce
Old 10-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
johneich

Equipment: B7200

I assume you soaked them in hydraulic oil, I heard of one guy that boiled them in hydraulic oil, I am not recommending it, but if you do, do it outside, on a camp stove.
johneich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
eserv
Journeyman

Equipment: B5000,BX24,F2560 Kubota, A1000 Kubota Generator, Bolens (Iseki) G154 with tiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemptvilleguy View Post
So as it turns out, the Kubota dealer (by chance) gave me the wrong seal kit but was kind enough to exchange the wrong ones for the right ones. The centre seal was a peice of cake to get in as it was the correct thickness. I thought I was laughing but not so. There are 3 "rings" on the opposite end, 2 of which simply split and stretch off of the piston but the centre one is not rubber or is a hard rubber that doesnt retain its original shape and size after its been stretched and there is NO way that I can see to get it on without stretching it. I even tried soaking it in boiling water to no avail. I've mangled one already and am fit to be tied so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to get those on. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Bruce
You work them on CAREFULLY with a small seal pick being careful to not nick the seal or stretch it to much. I do them dry but many like to lube them up. After you get it on let it sit for a few minutes then lube it good and insert it into the cylinder barrel. I've never had one leak, maybe you'll be so lucky! LOL
Ed
eserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
kemptvilleguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneich View Post
I assume you soaked them in hydraulic oil, I heard of one guy that boiled them in hydraulic oil, I am not recommending it, but if you do, do it outside, on a camp stove.
No I didnt try soaking it (or boiling it) in hydraulic oil but I will try it if thats the key.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
kemptvilleguy
1st Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by eserv View Post
You work them on CAREFULLY with a small seal pick being careful to not nick the seal or stretch it to much. I do them dry but many like to lube them up. After you get it on let it sit for a few minutes then lube it good and insert it into the cylinder barrel. I've never had one leak, maybe you'll be so lucky! LOL
Ed
Ed, I tried putting one in dry but I dont have a seal pick. I used a tiny flat screwdriver but the diameter of the parts of the pison that you have to get by to get it to the centre groove dictate that it must be stretched. When I tried to put it back into the barrel thereafter, it just got mangled up in the threads because it was protruding too much....