Modifying 3 PtH on RS 1300 Tiller

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Go to Walterscheid.com and look at their listings. You can get a rear yoke for your PTO shaft that is a "plain" smooth bore with a key way instead of splines. Since you have the shaft out, you can have anyone with a lathe and a mill size the shaft to the bore size of the yoke and cut in a key way to match the one in the yoke bore. You might even find they have a yoke with a keyed plain bore that is the size of th smooth part of your shaft as it is. Much cleaner install than welding an adapter to the existing shaft. Clearance??? Think of it this way, when it's all put back together you want 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance between the gearbox and the back "round" part of the PTO universal yoke. Just make sure the machinist stops the key way short of your seal mating surface on the shaft.

Michbeck

Equipment
B1181, G23 HD
Sep 29, 2011
Austria, Upperaustria
Thank you for explaining it again, just one question: I have seen such adapters with a key way. When I also have a key way in the pto shaft, then I have two "female" key ways, you understand? Then I need a spline to fix them, right? Are these splines standard parts?

@284 International

I know it is more work, but I want to have it look like as original as possible. I've seen some conversions and they all did not convince me. I want to have it look like this way:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/tiller4.jpg

Last edited:

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Yes, I understand, and yes, you will have two female key slots, and yes, the key stock (spline as you call it) to fit the slots is a standard stock item (although it may be metric instead of inch in your parts). Your machinist will have the option of cutting the shaft for a standard square key (simply a straight piece of square stock that can be cut to any length you need), or a woodruff key (which is a piece of metal roughly half-moon shaped the same width (thickness) as the square key. Have them do the square key, there is more load bearing surface.
The tiller you show in the picture is a good model to follow after. Notice that the gearbox shaft for the PTO is quite short, AND, it is located so that the rear universal yokes on the PTO shaft when installed are roughly in-line with the bottom 3-point hitch arm pivot points.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Since you have that shaft out, Id' suggest taking it to whoever will do your machine work and have them help you select the correct yoke bore diameter so as to minimize the amount of machine work necessary on the shaft.

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Vic, is it possible the tillers were supplied to Kubota and Yanmar by some third party supplier, and simply painted to match their mated tractors? I know that happened here with backhoe attachments. All of the gray Yanmars I've seen that came with a tiller are RS 1xxx or RC 1xxx. I believe you when you say this RS 1300 is for the Kubota, but it also looks just like the Yanmar tillers I've seen.

I like your idea of keeping the tiller as a 2 point mount. I really like how compact the package is when attached that way.

Michbeck

Equipment
B1181, G23 HD
Sep 29, 2011
Austria, Upperaustria
Of course it would be possible to keep it the way it is, but I would like to have an integrative way of attaching implements. Removing the lower lift arms, etc. every time you want to use the tiller would be anoying for me. Besides I am constructing a towing hitch which uses the mounting points of the U-brackets for the 2 point and so I'll remove this brackets.

And as I'll get a new driveshaft now I'll realise this idea of converting the tiller.

I found out that it is a Kubota tiller because of the small sticker on the side with the serial number and the same logo as on the steering wheel cap.

Last edited:

Michbeck

Equipment
B1181, G23 HD
Sep 29, 2011
Austria, Upperaustria
Something is happening here after quite a long time. I got my new pto shaft, which unfortunately isn't as short as I wanted, but it will work - at least I hope so. ;)

I started with removing the old 2 point attachment points. As next step I'll construct the 3 point frame. Pics will follow.

Attachments

Michbeck

Equipment
B1181, G23 HD
Sep 29, 2011
Austria, Upperaustria
Fabricated some plates for the lower mounting points and welded them on the tiller. Next week the local blacksmith will bend the steel for the A-frame for me. Pictures will follow.

Attachments

Michbeck

Equipment
B1181, G23 HD
Sep 29, 2011
Austria, Upperaustria
I want to change some oil seals on the tiller, but my local dealer told me, that he can't find the parts in his programm.

79153-3232-1
70536-5523-1
79153-3553-1

Does anybody know if this seals are still available? Otherwise I have to use the old seals again.