Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
MikeWW

Equipment: willison@magma.ca
Question Stripped Oil Drain Plugs

I am working on a friend's Kubota L3430. The previous owner has stripped the 2 oil drain plugs. Has anyone done this repair before? I was thinking that a time-sert repair kit might be the answer here. Any opinions? Any recommendations on where to buy these kits? Not sure what the thread size is. Anyone?

thanks
Mike

Last edited by MikeWW; 09-12-2011 at 12:58 AM.
MikeWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
kuboman
4th Yr. Apprentice

Default Re: Stripped Oil Drain Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWW View Post
I am working on a friend's Kubota L3430. The previous owner has stripped the 2 oil drain plugs. Has anyone done this repair before? I was thinking that a time-sert repair kit might be the answer here. Any opinions? Any recommendations on where to buy these kits? Not sure what the thread size is. Anyone?

thanks
Mike
Is it the oil pan threads that are ruined or the plugs? If the plugs are the worst I would run a tap in the pan holes to clean up the threads then get new drain plugs. If the pan holes are completely gone you can maybe go next size bigger.
kuboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
brunswick000
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Kubota L245DT

I would have to agree with Kuboman. If its the plug holes themselves then I would attempt the tap for that size hole and then "slowly" start running the plugs back in. Say like 3 turns forward one turn back to make sure you're not re-striping them. Try that before a time-sert kit. Easier for the first try. Might be a good idea to get new drain plugs too if the current ones look at all damaged.

Also, if you haven't tapped a hole before, I know that sounds funny, you need to do it in the same manner. But, use half turns. Thread it in just a little and then back. Then a bit more and back again. If there is no residual oil in the pan then maybe put some on the hole threads first or continue to spray some WD40 on there to keep the tap lubed in the hole. Couldn't resist that last one. Good luck.
brunswick000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
MikeWW

Yes the threads in the aluminum pan are stripped. The actual threads on the plug are ok. I will run a tap through just to see if it will clean up. I know what you mean about the tapping process. 1/2 turn then reverse. I remember learning that in grade 10 machine shop. About 45 years ago. Yikes. It might be possible to tap a slightly larger hole &then put in a bigger plug.

thanks for the replies.
Mike
Old 09-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
drewscruis
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7100D with FEL and tiller

make sure to coat the flutes if the tap with some grease to catch the shavings from rethreading the hole, it'll keep the metal chips out of the engine
drewscruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
MikeWW

thanks Drew.
Good tip..................
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
brunswick000
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: Kubota L245DT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWW View Post
Yes the threads in the aluminum pan are stripped. The actual threads on the plug are ok. I will run a tap through just to see if it will clean up. I know what you mean about the tapping process. 1/2 turn then reverse. I remember learning that in grade 10 machine shop. About 45 years ago. Yikes. It might be possible to tap a slightly larger hole &then put in a bigger plug.

thanks for the replies.
Mike
Lol! I hope you understand that no insult was intended. There's a lot of us on here who are learning as we go. I never took take grade 10 shop. Hind sight is a bit of a b%@$h at times.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
brunswick000 is offline   Reply With Quote