Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing

Buying Advice, Recommendations & Pricing Looking at starting or growing your Kubota equipment collection? Unsure if you have found a good deal or not?

Old 09-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
rlyddane

Equipment: BX1830, MMM, BH, Loader, Tiller, Box blade
Default Kubota vs. Mahindra

Hi,
My name is Rich, and I am planning on purchasing a used sub compact or compact tractor. I was 99% convinced on the Kubota BX series, and someone said, "Have you checked out the Mahindra?". Well, I did, and frankly, they look pretty comparable to the Kubota's.

Can I get an honest opinion on the pluses on Kubota vs. Mahindra. Of course, I know the Mahindra dealer I spoke to showed me their biased propaganda, but what are the real differences in Kubota's favor? Thanks.........Rich
rlyddane is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
hodge

Journeyman

Equipment: B7100 HST 4WD, Bobcat 743 skidsteer, 94 Dodge Ram diesel, 99 Honda TRX 300 4wd
Default Re: Kubota vs. Mahindra

Honest opinion? I think that most all compact tractors today are comparable and will provide a similar amount of service. Prices may vary, but you will get that even between dealers. I have scoured over the Mahindra's, and they look like well built machines.
That being said, Kubota's footprint and support are huge, where Mahindra's is not. In my area, the only dealer that carries Mahindra used to carry Farmtrac, and Taft before that. The owner is a fine fella, but who knows how long he will carry and service Mahindra's? The Kubota dealer has been here forever, and shows no signs of changing.
When the tractors and their prices are comparable, then the deciding factor becomes availability and support. I don't see Mahindra matching kubota.
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: Kubota B6100E

I'd have to agree with Hodge on this, most tractor's today are built fairly similiar. Bout pound for pound dollar for dollar you get a much beefier built tractor out of a Kubota then you do of any other brand out there today. Kubota was the first and still is the leader in the compact tractor market since the late 60's in the U.S. Take a look at the video posted in the Articles section and see how Kubota L series tractors stack up against a similiar size John Deere and witness how Kubota blows the doors off John Deere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTidb...layer_embedded
Old 09-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
tiger9297
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL

I agree that most compact tractors are probably comparable in service and quality, but I still think Kubota's quality is superior to any other brand, even if only slightly so. I would pay more money for a Kubota just because it's a Kubota. This is coming from a guy who was raised on John Deere and GM products. Now I own Kubota and Nissan.
tiger9297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Eric McCarthy

VIP Service Tech

Equipment: Kubota B6100E

Thats right crops are green and tractors are orange LOL. Just about every farmer I know who owns JD equipment I have asked why they own JD and most of them have no idea why other then its been a family thing and they've always owned the JD line. Kinda like a generation thing I reckon.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Hook
2nd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Lightbulb Re: Kubota vs. Mahindra

I know this doesn't address the Mahindra Kubota comparison but I recently sold a used Kubota tractor to a guy from Illinois who had worked as a mechanic for a John Deere Equipment dealership. I would not speak negatively about any other tractor manufacturer. Like others have said there are other good tractors. However, I have had excellent service from all the motorized equipment I own that was built in Japan.
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Bulldog
Master Tech

Equipment: M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT

I'm not going to knock the Minhindra just because I know nothing about them. I don't even really know of a dealer that's in my area. I'll say this about Kubotas though. I used a B 7100 for 15 yrs and racked up over 6000 hrs on it without any major repairs. It was a ugly little thing that was beat all to pieces when we bought it. It was still running fine when I traded it on a new Kubota though. I grew up with IH tractors and after the great service I got from my B model I switched over to a all orange work force. You may be fine with the other brands but you definately won't go wrong with a Kubota.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
mccash40

Equipment: BX2360

I live in a farming community in upstate NY near the VT border and no one carries Mahindra tractors in this area. There is 1 JD dealer, 1 NH dealer and 2 Kubota dealers. I bought a BX 2360 and I love it so far. Plan to get a Woods rear blade for it this weekend. I guess it's a personal choice. The Mahindras look sharp in the TV ad, but I like orange.
mccash40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Davemerq73
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: FEL, Rear Blade, Box scraper
Thumbs down Re: Kubota vs. Mahindra

I think the best advice was said a few times already. Multiple people have said they know nothing about them. They dont know of any dealers in thier area. The lack of information, and support should be all the advaice you need.

I also know nothing about them, dont know of any dealers in my area, and cannot quickly locate any on-line forums with any significant activity.

http://mahindratractorforum.com/forums/

This is as close as I can find - Note the dates on the forums. Its hardly used.

If you purchase a tractor that is not mass produced, with little aftermarket support, where will you be on 10, or 20 years when you are looking for that used part?
Davemerq73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #10
hodge

Journeyman

Equipment: B7100 HST 4WD, Bobcat 743 skidsteer, 94 Dodge Ram diesel, 99 Honda TRX 300 4wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemerq73 View Post
I think the best advice was said a few times already. Multiple people have said they know nothing about them. They dont know of any dealers in thier area. The lack of information, and support should be all the advaice you need.

I also know nothing about them, dont know of any dealers in my area, and cannot quickly locate any on-line forums with any significant activity.

http://mahindratractorforum.com/forums/

This is as close as I can find - Note the dates on the forums. Its hardly used.

If you purchase a tractor that is not mass produced, with little aftermarket support, where will you be on 10, or 20 years when you are looking for that used part?
That's a good point. I do know that Mahindra makes a solid, strong tractor, and that they are a huge manufacturer in India. Massey Ferguson makes some of their smaller tractors. I don't think quality is as much of an issue as support, parts, and public support- an active forum is a beautiful thing, as we know good and well right here.
hodge is offline   Reply With Quote