Tree limb saw fabrication project

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Well I guess this fits into both implements and fabrication, but I will put it here.
I had to cut the limbs on my property so that I can mow up to the fence row with my L5030HSTC. I have a gas powered pole saw but decided that working smarter was better than working harder, especially since I have a shoulder injury that I suffered a couple years ago. I found lesser saws available online for $1800-2000, which was more than I wanted to spend, so I decided to build my own.

The main component for the project was a stanley CS06 hydraulic chainsaw which was picked up at online auction for $285 shipped. Additional tems I had to purchase were misc. bolts, hydraulic hoses, quick couplers, hydraulic flow restrictor/one-way valve, and paint.
The items I had already were 115V welder, hand tools, small steel coupons, square steel from carport (used as frame), tow strap end.

I mounted the pole saw reciever to my spare bucket because I didnt want to put holes in my good Kubota bucket. The mount can be removed with two bolts. The saw mast can be removed by a pin. The pin which locks the saw in cutting position is also used to lock the saw in the transport position.

I have a little under $500 invested. Will post photos once I figure out how to.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Looks like a handy piece of equipment, Just curious what type of valve did you use to control the chainsaw, I am asuming the chainsaw works like a hydraulic motor so so you can not use a loader type of valve. Or is it constantly running ?

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
I am using the factory 3rd function valve with rocker switch forward/reverse. Since this saw isn't supposed to be ran in reverse, I installed the one-way flow valve on the return line. If I accidentally hit the rocker switch the wrong direction, the hydraulics will pressure relief.

Since this is a hydraulic hand saw I had to secure the trigger in the on position. To turn saw on I just hold down the rocker switch. Chain and bar are lubricated by hydraulic oil from the tractor which weeps through the motor. The oil rate is adjustable via screw.

Max pressure for the saw is 2000psi with a 2100-2200 pressure relief. I tested my tractor and at 1300rpm pressure relief is 2200, so that is where I run the rpm when using the saw.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Wow, that looks dangeres! Don't make a chainsaw massacre... :D

carl

Last edited:

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Hydraulic chainsaws are normally used in bucket trucks. Just imagine trying to start a gas saw way up in a bucket..They spin slower, have more torque, not as loud and vibrate less.

Yes, it is pretty long so it can cut relatively high without causing any wooden hood ornaments.

As far as safety is concerned, I dont think handeling a chainsaw can get much safer than this...

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
I gave it a good workout today. The only issue was getting use to blade positioning from up in the cab. It took me about 15 minutes before I knew exactly where I was. I might paint the bar and chain orange for contrast.
It was also a little hard on the neck getting the high limbs. Those darn hickory branches start really high and swoop downward so the must be cut.
I did more today in 1hr with tunes and A/C than I could have done in 6 hrs by ladder and pole saw.

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
search internet or video sites for limbinator saw video. Mine works the same way.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ed, When I worked underground in the coal mines we use almost the same saw, we use it for cutting timbers and posts,,, saved a ton of time over using an hand buck saw

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess I should have added that it was powered by the pump off a battery powered scoop car running 128 volts DC, I dont remember what the pressure was off the pump. Since you cant use gasoline saws underground it made life a lot easyer when we had to set a lot of posts

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I've seen them used on utility bucket trucks or some call them cherry pickers. They have a hydraulic circuit plumbed up to the bucket and have a variety of tools that run off hydraulics, drills, winches, saws, etc. All kinds of handy uses.

JimmieD

Oct 25, 2011
Cal
I want one on my F250 for those idiots that cut in front of me and the ones driveing slow in the fast lane!!!!!!
I see a movie happening here.... 'Kubota Chainsaw Massacre'

That's one fine project I'd give my eyeteeth for, super handy & well thought out!