My Kubota project

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Gurn, what did you use for the blue paint? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Thanks Eddie Jr, It's been fun.Im looking forward to getting it done.
300ZX, the blue paint is Rustoleum Gloss Night Tide. Walmart @ under $4 a can. Wonderful paint. Was going to work on it this weekend but its been raining here some and I'm also worn out after a long week on a hot roof. I will try and get some more done this week after work.
Gurn

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
That's funny, Gurn, I just picked up a can of that same color last week at Wal-mart. I really like the way Rustoleum covers and seems to dry thick. It takes a while to dry, but it is tough. How many cans did it take to do the chassis?

Thanks, John

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
the blue paint is Rustoleum Gloss Night Tide. Walmart @ under $4 a can.
Unfortunately, the Walmarts out here don't carry it, and will not order it.:mad:

300zx

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
Unfortunately, the Walmarts out here don't carry it, and will not order it.
Only one of our 3 Walmarts carry it. I noticed Menards shows it at their stores, if you have one of those.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I noticed Menards shows it at their stores
Don't have Menards out here, but I'll soon be making a trip to Indiana, anf they have 'em. Thanks.

I also saw it at Home Depot, or was it Lowes
I've already checked there, as well as all the local hardware stores. (Ace, True Value, mom & pop hardware stores, etc..

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Ok, Here is the latest. Im proud of how the battery tray came out. Picked up the right size from Pull-A-Part from a Nissan truck. Also got a nice rubber trim piece for between the hood and dash from a Jaguar. Also from the Jag got some stainless steal torx bolts for the dash bolts that will look great. Grabed a bunch of that plastic tubing that most cars now have under the hood to protect the wires too. Total cost......$2.59:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i4lLehezeI

Eddie Jr.

Equipment
B3200 HSD
Mar 27, 2011
Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada EH!
Thanks Eddie Jr, It's been fun.Im looking forward to getting it done.
300ZX, the blue paint is Rustoleum Gloss Night Tide. Walmart @ under $4 a can. Wonderful paint. Was going to work on it this weekend but its been raining here some and I'm also worn out after a long week on a hot roof. I will try and get some more done this week after work.
Gurn
No worries! I think you have done a great job. Kuddos to you man. I can wait to see the video of it up and running!

M.

Colin

Equipment
B6200D, B1630, and B2650, LA534
May 14, 2011
Sebastopol, CA
Hi All,

Been lurking for a month - first post.

I picked up a can of Night Tide from Walmart (Home Depot also have it) and while its a very nice color, I found it significantly 'bluer' than the oem chassis blue-grey on my B6200 project. Great for a complete repaint, but not realy suitable for spot painting.

Ace hardware stores carry tintable bases in their Rust Stop Oil based Enamels. I had them mix up a batch of a color called 'Bonapart', code D39-7 and tested it on the gas tank. Honestly, I cant tell it from the original color and at $12/qt ($30/gal) its reasonably priced, I generally find coverage of a can is 2-3x a rattle can per oz.

Being impatient and wanting to see just how close a match it was, I painted half the gas tank and it seems to be a good enough color match to spot paint. I completely messed it up by painting just before the sun went down and the dew played havoc with the paint before it dried, but attached is a picture. The top half is painted Bonapart and just below the seam is the original paint (the dull triangular patch below that is overspray)

The downside is of course you have to be able to spray. You could use a Prevail system consisting of a jar and spray propellant, which works OK but adds more cost.

Finally, if you want it to set up rock hard you can add an isanoacrylate (sp??) hardener (available at Tractor Supply) - just make absolutely sure to use a rated respirator as the hardener is not good to breath in.

I'm also going to post my efforts to match the original orange, again using Ace Rust Stop as a basis.

Attachments

gurn

Equipment
Kubota L175
Apr 15, 2011
Nashville,Tn
Long time no update. I got the fenders and hood done. The hood was a beast, there was so much old damage to deal with. I didn't get it looking as good as I wanted and didn't spend the kind of time it would have taken to make it look perfect. It will be fine until I run across a nice hood. Now to wire up the lights and a few odds and ends and then order all the new decals. I will be getting a box scraper soon and put her to work keeping my drive nice and smooth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-olrehqnvA