Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Service Dept Vic

Equipment: B-5000
Default Re: Dry liner removal and installation in a Z750 eng L175????????

I applaud your ambition!

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
eserv
Journeyman

Equipment: B5000,BX24,F2560 Kubota, A1000 Kubota Generator, Bolens (Iseki) G154 with tiller

The liners are fairly easy to remove on a kubota engine any machine shop would be able to make you a plate. Have you installed the new ones yet........ If kubota sleeves they will need to be bored to size.......guess you could do it with a ridged hone but I think you better go to that machine shop yet!!!!
Ed service
eserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:11 AM   #13
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L245 4x4 FEL, 5' finish mower, 5' scrape blade, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck

Don't have the new ones in yet. Had a lot of other things to tend to this week. I should get them in this weekend.

I was looking at the pistons and the liners just out of the box and the piston will not even get close to fitting in the liner. That tells me that it will have to be cut but I will find a shop that is reasonable. $120 per hole is just outrageous. I can have a bbc punched out for less than that and it has 8 holes.

AKA: Captain Candle Wax
aquaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L245 4x4 FEL, 5' finish mower, 5' scrape blade, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck

Well I stiffened up my press bed by using a forklift upright that I cut off. That went under the block. Then I used another forklift piece on top of the liner and started the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1082.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	470  

Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #15
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

My little air compressor can't keep up with my press pump so after getting this far I had to wait for the compressor to catch up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1083.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	471  

Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

I prepped the block by using a dingel hone lightly only to knock off the black build-up that forms between the liner and the block. Then cleaned the bore out with brake clean making sure it was scrubbed well. Next WD-40 coated the bore and liner very liberally.
The liners pressed in very smoothly and I am very happy.

Now the shop that will dyno my 496 will cut the sleeves to fit the pistons and I am ready to load.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1084.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	472  

Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #17
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

Got the block back from the machine shop today. $180 to bore/hone and skim the deck to true it up. They took .005 off the deck to get it all cleaned up so now I am going to need to clearance the pistons when I get them loaded. The old pistons had an impression of the pre-chamber in the top of them so I wonder about the .008 shims for the head gasket.

I got the head all build back. Lapped in all the valves, put in the injectors and the intake. There are a few more studs to get moved over from the old head but it looks great with all new parts.

More pics coming.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Ob1kubota
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M9540DT

Aqua I don't know if you want to try this or not but I've put modeling clay on top of my piston reliefs before and figured an overrev stress factor of .005 for clearance when I decked my blocks. I adjust the rocker arms to zero and turn her over with every thing torqued down, with the exact head gasket installed then unbolt and measure the thickness of the clay for an idea of valve to piston clearance before putting the fuel to her..... just a thought ...
Ob1kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1kubota View Post
Aqua I don't know if you want to try this or not but I've put modeling clay on top of my piston reliefs before and figured an overrev stress factor of .005 for clearance when I decked my blocks. I adjust the rocker arms to zero and turn her over with every thing torqued down, with the exact head gasket installed then unbolt and measure the thickness of the clay for an idea of valve to piston clearance before putting the fuel to her..... just a thought ...

The clay process is one way to clearance them. On this Z750 block the flat top piston rises above the deck very close to .040 or more. I will measure the exact rise after getting the block together.
I didn't know Kubota put that much squeeze to the head. I can see why since the pre-chamber is so large. To get 21:1 compression ratio there can't be any room above this piston.
My Kubota head gasket is .145 and the gasket that came with my head is .185. Since the head is flat and the piston is flat I can do some easy math and find my clearance.
I was reading in my shop manual that Kubota has head shims in .008 increments so that is a good way to make a move without loosing a ton of compression.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
aquaforce
4th Yr. Apprentice

Well the head is completed now. Looks great. I left the neck cover off the front of the head for now because I am checking into having a bung tiged on so I can run a sensor and guage in this engine. There is no way I will operate this thing again if I don't know the engine temp.

Block is bored/honed and decked and looks great. Tomorrow it will get a thourough cleaning for the reload process.

Any other ideas on where I should put the temp sensor???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1092.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	307