BX23S - Bro-Tek or BXpanded skid plate

bdh1966

Feb 14, 2019
Johnstown
I'm looking for advice on which skid plate to get for the BX23S. The Bro-Tek looks beefer & stronger, but equally is more expensive especially when factoring in both skid plates. The BXpanded looks to be easier to remove/install.

I do not run a MMM on this tractor and have no plans to do so in the future.

Anyone with any suggestions or experience to share, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cfrazer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2670-1,FEL, BX5450, BBox, GS1548, RB1560, QH05, AI2 Forks, SS Curtis Cab
Jan 22, 2018
North Rose, NY, USA
I went for the bxpanded for basically same reasons, no MMM and no plans to get one as well as cost. I do have a front snowblower but didn’t think I needed a skid plate installed for that. The bxpanded is significantly cheaper. Both companies make good stuff so quality is there in both. The bxpanded skid plate is pretty tough and very easy to take on and off. If I was trouncing through the woods and straddling logs I think I may have gone with bro-tek just because it appears heavier, having said that I think the bxpanded skid plate would work as well.

Bottom line - don’t think you can go wrong either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BX25D Rookie

Equipment
2011 BX25D, Bro-Tek Skid Plates, Bxpanded Tooth Bar & Toolbox, LED Headlights
Mar 21, 2019
Upstate, NY USA
I chose the Bro-Tek skid plates (got both pieces) for my BX25D as they cover more area.
I don't use a mid mount mower and likely never will.
So the ease of installation for the Bxpanded didn't mean anything for me.
I also got the power steering cylinder protector kit from Bro-Tek.
Ordered and shipped then installed in about a week total time.
The ROPS mounted toolbox and the P/tooth bar from Bxpanded...
I'm still waiting for those items.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
If you've no plans for a MMM, the brotek plates are solid. I'd recommend the mid plate along with the rear. I had just the rear for a while and had a stick come up and got close to taking out my HST fan blades. It was a pretty small stick, thankfully. Ordered the mid plate immediately thereafter.

Unfortunately I run a MMM, so the mid plate does add a bit of work when the seasons change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bdh1966

Feb 14, 2019
Johnstown
Question for jmf78 - you mentioned a mid plate, I do not see a mid plate on Bro-Tek's website. I only see the rear and front plate. What does the mid plate cover? Thanks in advance.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
It looks like it's actually the front plate, considered an extension to the skid plate. For some reason I thought there was another to add further up.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Question for jmf78 - you mentioned a mid plate, I do not see a mid plate on Bro-Tek's website. I only see the rear and front plate. What does the mid plate cover? Thanks in advance.
It looks like it's actually the front plate, considered an extension to the skid plate. For some reason I thought there was another to add further up.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had bro-tek's on my older BX23. They are a solid unit. The set that I had featured a removable piece that would allow you to connect the MMM. It was a bit difficult to connect the MMM pto shaft, but doable.

I don't know what's changed since then (I had the bro-tek plates since approx 2008), but, I'd highly recommend them.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had bro-tek's on my older BX23. They are a solid unit. The set that I had featured a removable piece that would allow you to connect the MMM. It was a bit difficult to connect the MMM pto shaft, but doable.

I don't know what's changed since then (I had the bro-tek plates since approx 2008), but, I'd highly recommend them.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Had Bro-tek's on my old BX23. They did have a removable piece in the rear plate for attaching MMM. It was a bit of a PITA to connect it, but doable.

Highly recommend the Bro-tek version. Tough stuff if you do any "off-roading".

edit: double post cause I didn't think the first one went thru on OTT...

Last edited: