Smoky start up

95Mustang

Sep 18, 2018
Franklin new Hampshire usa
My bx23s has 90 hours on it and up until the last tank of fuel has always started up perfect (no smoke)
Now 95% of the time when you start the tractor it starts right up but runs very rough for 10 seconds or so and blows a lot of soot and smoke, then it comes right out of it and runs perfect . Until the next start up , then it's the same scenario.
Bad fuel ?
Needs filters changed?
Any suggestions?
Tractor is kept in a heated garage.

Ken

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd guess you're probably right on. Change out all the fuel and new fuel filter will at least eliminate those items. Maybe the fuel is Summer blend, or has some moisture in it.

Report back what you discover.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My bx23s has 90 hours on it and up until the last tank of fuel has always started up perfect (no smoke)
Now 95% of the time when you start the tractor it starts right up but runs very rough for 10 seconds or so and blows a lot of soot and smoke, then it comes right out of it and runs perfect . Until the next start up , then it's the same scenario.
Bad fuel ?
Needs filters changed?
Any suggestions?
Tractor is kept in a heated garage.

Ken

Get under that ol girl......

pull the first filter off -
place a 1/4 turn ball fuel valve - 8mm
place new filter after ball valve
change filter after fuel pump
might want to get fuel out of tank as you replace all filters.

hook everything back up.

turn key 30 seconds....listen for fuel pump clicking.....

crank tractor....

report back;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds like stale fuel to me. Diesel fuel does get stale after a time in storage.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
You may have an injector sticking when cold. I know your garage is heated, but I'm talking about a cold start issue after the engine has been sitting and cooled down. You could try some Lucas, Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne, Power Service, etc. which will help lube and free up a sticking injector. At 90 hours I wouldn't suspect the tips have eroded and since is smooths out and quits smoking shortly after starting, it sounds like one of the injectors is malfunctioning when it's cold.

95Mustang

Sep 18, 2018
I'm going to be changing the filters today and draining all the fuel and replace with fresh.
But there is a lot of white smoke until the temp gauge comes up a bit..

I'm really suspecting a blown head gasket maybe......
But the oil looks good and no oil in antifreeze., as well as no sign of coolant in the oil

Last edited:

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I'm going to be changing the filters today and draining all the fuel and replace with fresh.
But there is a lot of white smoke until the temp gauge comes up a bit..

I'm really suspecting a blown head gasket maybe......
But the oil looks good and no oil in antifreeze., as well as no sign of coolant in the oil
The white smoke is raw diesel that is hot but not burned completely. As mentioned, you could have a glow plug out but if the GP is not bad, and the injector is leaking or sticking, it will cause the engine to produce white smoke until the cylinder is hot enough to combust and burn all the fuel. Even then, a sticking injector can cause white smoke by dripping fuel instead of spraying fuel.

95Mustang

Sep 18, 2018
It's at the dealer....
It's going to be warranty
And 99% certain its head gasket....it comes out of the roughness on idle after 5 seconds or so and then the white cloud starts (it's really bad and getting worse)
The filters and fuel is fine
I had the rad cap off this morning and at idle, ice cold i gave it some throttle and it pushed coolant out like old faithful ...the antifreeze doesn't look quite right either , kinda like it has soot in it. ...hmmmmm

I'll know later today or tomorrow

Captain13

Equipment
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
That's a good to know. Let us know what they find.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It's at the dealer....
It's going to be warranty
And 99% certain its head gasket....it comes out of the roughness on idle after 5 seconds or so and then the white cloud starts (it's really bad and getting worse)
The filters and fuel is fine
I had the rad cap off this morning and at idle, ice cold i gave it some throttle and it pushed coolant out like old faithful ...the antifreeze doesn't look quite right either , kinda like it has soot in it. ...hmmmmm

I'll know later today or tomorrow
sounds like you nailed the problem! I hope that is it and the dealer fixes it back perfect!

Would be strange to have that problem with so little hours, but stranger things have happened!

Tell us what the dealer does;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'll almost bet there is more wrong than just a head gasket!
Maybe you'll get a new motor.

Kind of reminds me of my M9. Had an oil pressure early on and my dealer replaced everything on the front of the engine when in reality, all it needed was a spool valve in the front cover. Warranty is good.

95Mustang

Sep 18, 2018
Maybe you'll get a new motor.

Kind of reminds me of my M9. Had an oil pressure early on and my dealer replaced everything on the front of the engine when in reality, all it needed was a spool valve in the front cover. Warranty is good.
I wish , hahaha
They ordered new head gasket ...
Hopefully they have it done and repaired in short order........
I'm betting 2 weeks to do what can be done in an afternoon , as you say you gotta love warranty

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
New engines with bad head gasket... not as uncommon as one might think. An engine assembly-man can miss torque-sequence as a distraction occurs at work and there you go. It happened about once a week on brand-new, off-the-boat Toyotas when I worked there. Turned out to be an assembly-line problem due to the line incessantly moving to the next station with individual workers unable to slow/stop the line.
The fix was to allow ANY worker to hit the button which stopped progress until the task was corrected or completed.
I'll bet the new head gasket will solve the issue and no need for a "new engine" to replace your already new engine and have to go through another break-in period.

95Mustang

Sep 18, 2018
Well the tractor is still at dealer waiting for parts...
The cause of the head gasket failure , was the water pump failed and let tractor overheat and resulted in blown head gasket.
Funny thing is the temp gauge never and I mean NEVER
Indicated anything other than normal temp.
The most it was used in winter was for like an hour at a time in the frigid cold , clearing snow off the driveway
Dealer said head and block are good no warpage.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Well the tractor is still at dealer waiting for parts...
The cause of the head gasket failure , was the water pump failed and let tractor overheat and resulted in blown head gasket.
Funny thing is the temp gauge never and I mean NEVER
Indicated anything other than normal temp.
The most it was used in winter was for like an hour at a time in the frigid cold , clearing snow off the driveway
Dealer said head and block are good no warpage.
When this happens you can end up with very localized overheating so the gauge isn't showing the heat as it hasn't progressed to the sensor, or it happens in second where the gauge is showing cool and then spikes in seconds - had this on my old Camaro due to a stuck thermostat once.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
the water pump failed .
Just curious as to how the pump failed. Impeller fall off or break? Hub spin on the shaft?
Asking because it obviously wasn't leaking since it had coolant in it. Any good info helps the rest of us.