B26 vs l3560 vs kx033-4

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
Currently own bx25d great little tractor not enough power. I own 170 acres, 10 acres cleared, 5 of which has been de-stumped and graded, will de-stump the other 5 acres. Remainder of property want to build a trail system for UTV
and dirt bikes. Was serious about the kx033-4 excavator, thinking the b26tlb would be an all around better for everything, the l3560 has a cab, Bh92 backhoe on the l3560 is big, the b26tlb is more compact with decent backhoe power but no cab (I like the open anyway). If I bought the excavator I’d have to look after two machines, cause I’d keep the bx25d. The excavator would be the ultimate trail builder. I could trade the bx25d in on the b26tld and save a lot of money but would be sorry for not buying the excavator. The l3560 would be great for moving snow but I don’t really care about moving snow. I feel trapped, I can’t make up my mind. The excavator to me is like a cbr600rr, l3560 is like a cruiser, b26tlb is like a hybrid. My favourite bike was the cbr600rr.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Sounds to me like you have a job to make a set of trails, but once done you need a very different machine to maintain your property and maintain the trails.

A used excavator would resell after a year or so for about what you paid for it. And you could get a much larger excavator than you otherwise would if you're seeing it as a 1 year use then resell.

Alternatively, if you have a good idea of what you want to do, you could hire an excavator and a guy to drive it, and probably do it all in about a week, then maintain with the 25D (or B26TLB) ongoing.

Unless you have ongoing need to build trails forever, I'd be careful about making your forever machine one that is large enough to do a one-time job.

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
Thanks for your reply Paul. I’ve been leaning toward the b26tlb, I found a new one for a good price will trade the bx25d in. I live in Nova Scotia, we do bugs during the summer and the cab would come in handy for pushing and blowing snow in the winter. My bush hog 48” and box blade 48” will work nicely on the b26tlb, I stopped by the dealer yesterday, the l3560 or the l4060 will accommodate my implements, little small but I think they will work. Kubota currently has an extra 3000 off the l3560 and l4060. I just think I’d break some glass or the hydraulic hoses would get caught on something, I’d get the backhoe later maybe. Renting or hiring for excavation seems like a good idea, I’ve already spent 20,000 on excavation work and could easily spend another 15.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You wont find a more capable machine with the same footprint as the B26. You also wont find one as expensive. It is a little bulldog. A few comments about mowing with it...the B26 doesnt have HST Plus transmission ( watch Messicks video of HST plus on YouTube so you know the difference). Also on the backhoe I strongly recommend a hydraulic thumb. You wont have cruise control for mowing (at least my M62 doesnt have it so I assume the B26 wont)...this is a big pain if you are doing it for long. That said, it will be compact enough to get into tight places, and it is a real workhorse. With so much property it will be easier to travel across it. The ROPS/FOPS is very nice in the woods.

That said, I would personally never have a tractor that small on 170 acres of property. It is just going to take forever to make a dent in anything.

If your main goal is trail building, a Mini-ex with a blade (6 way is best) is awesome. If we are talking full width UTV trails, then you might even look a size up at the KX040. The 33 is 25hp and non turbo. The KX is turbo and 40HP. It is a much more capable machine. Just go operate them both, you will see. I looked super closely at the these last year. Now you could just do these as a weekend rental if you have an option in the area...because if you buy you will probably want to sell the machine after you finish all of the trails.

In your case I would probably go with the L3560 or L4060 and skip the backhoe.

I would only get a backhoe if you have capable tasks that will help you recover the cost. Digging water lines, electrical lines, sewer lines, septic, maybe foundation trench, etc. Do not get it for digging stumps. Use someone else’s equipment to dig stumps...they are very hard on a backhoe. I got my backhoe because we are building a house in the next few years...and I can do all of the above. It will pay for itself.

The cab thing in the woods is something all folks worry about. Get a good pole saw and keep the limbs trimmed. Don’t go anywhere with the tractor that puts it at risk. Use the mini-ex to do the trail clearing, once cleared you can bring the tractor in to transport brush and timber as needed. Even so I am sure you will break a mirror or 2, but in your case I would still go for a cab in Nova Scotia. If you dont want a cab, the L3560 or L4060 no cab is still an awesome machine.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
In fact, see if you can get the grand L and work in a rental deal on the Mini Ex (if that dealer rents them). If you can get a set price for usage including delivery for the next few years that would go a long way.

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
its been draining trying to make up my minabout this. I never got much use out of the bx25d, around 120hrs or so, I paid 22 plus tax for it, the new bx23s is 25 plus tax, I have the thumb for it too, bush hog and box blade, I think it would be a good trail builder. The b26tlb would be a good upgrade and I can keep the implements.
1. Keep the bx25 and buy the grand l with the cab, I’m not going to farm, and I’m only de-stumping another 5 and looking after 10 in total.

2. Keep the bx25 and buy the kx033, the weight of the kx040 will be to heavy for my half ton, I’m considering doing a small excavation part time thing to make a few bucks back, maybe, not really, been up and down with idea. I could build trails, dig ditches and drains. Deciding in the future if buy a mini home or build something. My property runs up hill until it levels out, I’d say a 20% grade. Living up top is an option but would require extensive snow plowing and I’d have to pay for power poles.

3. Just get the b26tlb, 37600 less 16000 for my bx25 trade and I already know a stronger front end loader would be better and I’d have a decent backhoe in a small footprint. I’m sill dreaming about the kx033, digging the trails and all the other little jobs to pick at, it’s just allows me to do what a tractor can’t do. 50600 plus taxes for the kx033 but I can also rent an excavator every so often to do all the little stuff at once. I really do like the bx26tlb, I also love to have a cab.

I also thought about cutting and milling some wood, but at last how does one find the time to do everything. Next 5 years I will be cutting a few trees, de-stumping 5 acres, taking care of the ten acres, planing some berry bushes, digging some trenches and probably buying a mini home and putting it on blacks. Oh ya, I starting looking for land when I bought a motorcross bike, I have a small track groomed but trades the bike for a side by side, hence the desire for a cool trail on my own pad.

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
The bh92 backhoe has a little more power and reach than b26tlb and the L is heavier. I’ve also considered the L47tlb, nice machine. You have the M62tlb with the 14ft hoe, if you had to choose again would you get a cabbed tractor?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
We aren't moving to the property permanently for another 4 years. We do get snow, but it melts fairly fast with our Sun at 8600ft. The jury is still out on the cab. I may add something to it to get by in the winter, but without a doubt having open station thus far is a huge benefit. I am on/off all the time.

I guess you need to decide if you want to buy a machine for what you "are" doing right now, or for what you "may" do in the future. The B26 is a capable machine, but it still is pretty small. Trail building on a tractor/TLB is nowhere as efficient as a mini-ex with a blade. If you are building miles of trails, I dont think the BX25D is going to cut it. I also dont think the B26 is a great option, because tractors aren't the best at turning around in the woods.

Maybe just rent the Mini-ex for a weekend, give it a shot and see what you think. It is the machine you need "now" for all of these trails...

Check out Mike with Outdoors with the Morgans on Youtube. He has THREE tractors...and he still does trail building by renting a Mini-Ex. Link

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
Not sure you're able to build a trail for the CBR with the tractors listed :D ...

I have 25 acres of horse farm, been moving a lot of dirt, some land clearing/clean up.

cab - sucks in teh woods (tree limbs). Nice for heat or a/c but you're not going to be in there 24/7, er, 40/5 anyway. You can dress for the elements.

stump removal..need a backhoe..or bigger. Unless you go stump grinder mounted on a 3 point.

My tractor is equivalent to an L35 and it fits most anywhere, runs 6 or 7' implements (for trail grading, say). They do make a MMM but at 4500lb or so w/ loader it's a tad harsh on the yard. I do a lot of brush hogging and it's great.

Much more stable/capable than my L175 (1500lb 17hp). Would bigger be better? Not in the barn...LOL. Or other tight spaces.

The only issue is when the equip is just too small to DO the job - which is rare. I can take longer on jobs, no problem, but if it just can't do it, then you rent.

I didn't get the hoe - $7500 add on - because i can rent one for $200/day that is more capable...in the past 20 years i've done that 3 times...this past summer I just hired a guy to do teh work for me (replace a well line) for $500 rather than rent anything and do it myself.

I've discovered with a tractor that yes, it CAN save work - but it also seems to MAKE work - stuff you didn't do that you now can do with a tractor you do...so more work! :cool:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Oh and now that you mentioned trailering it and potentially doing jobs offsite...dont forget insurance and that you may want to consider a U series as they are Zero swing...much less likely to hit something in tighter spots.

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
5 cleared and de-stumped, 5 remaining are cut not de-stumped. I’m hiring out the stump pulling and burn. The old road needs to be widened and ditched. I’m fine tuning things, a few tree and a few stumps I’ll do, need to install a crock for water, I’ll hire out the septic when the time comes.

I’m for the open cab on a tractor and an excavator. I’ve learned that trees cut and stumps left for two years will rot enough and be easier to get out. I picked at a rather large stump with the bx and was able to break the roots and move the stump but just can’t get it out of the hole. The b26 would get it out, a u25 would get it out. How come excavators have to be so expensive, I would be happy with a u25 for all the little jobs.

I rented a kx-018 (1.8 ton) for a couple of days, it worked well, not a stump pulled but would probably get the rotten ones out. I also demo a kx121-3 4.5 ton for an afternoon. I liked the 121, pulled a stump without to much effort, used the angle blade, I rushed through the few hours I had it to get a few things done, I remember parking it and thinking, glad that’s over with, I thing it’s because I rushed it and I was being impatient instead of just enjoying the experience. Renting is a good way to go. Ok the excavator is out, I keep thinking that but I don’t know..see this video
https://youtu.be/CEjo2BjnV4M

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yes, the expense is exactly what led me to the M62. I was considering a KX040...but at $60k I just decided to get the full TLB which is a great deal more flexible.

With the BH off of the B26, you still have a B series size machine. Weight will be around 3000 lbs with no fluids or filled rears. You can make it a much more capable ground engaging machine by filling the rears. The Downriggers can take the extra weight no problem, and it will give you a more stable platform to use the BH. With those rears filled, you will probably be at 3500-3800 lbs with no BH. With a rear blade, that should be enough to work the road and ditches if you get a nice heavy version. In the woods, these TLB canopy’s are awesome. They guard well from branches, and with FOPS they can stop considerable objects that might fall towards you (think construction site concrete). Not saying they will stop a massive tree, but hey it is better than a ROPS only, or a cab. Visibility is also great. I cant say enough good things about mine.

If you dont need the cab in Nova Scotia, then I agree the B26 is a great option. L47 even better, but hey we have to stop somewhere.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Our neighbor has a 500 acre adventure park with many miles of atv, single track and sxs trails- he has tried all kinds of machines to make and maintain the trails, and says a Cat tracked skid steer is by far the best machine to use. The one he has is a 299D and like 100+ hp and a beast. He has a variety of bucket widths depending on the type of trail. It may be too pricey for a private individual to get

Billstr

Equipment
Kx033-4g
Oct 20, 2018
North Sydney
Further North than you are. Nova Scotia winter can be cold, today it was -5 with a wind chill of -10. Jan - March it’s snow, temps as low as -20. April it starts to warm up. Muddy and wet in May, June is better but there’s lots of black flies, so for a few weeks it can unbarriable. Truth is summer months you have deer flies, they die down mid August, from there on it’s good until the end of November.

1. Excavator
2. Tractor no loader, just 3pt hitch, bush hog and box blade
3. Small dump trailer.

Amazing what you can do with a box blade. I mean how much do we really really need a front end loader. Can spread gravel with the excavator, can transport it with the trailer for the every other year it’s purchased. If you already have an atv it can be used to pull a mower or disk harrow, I think you can even buy scoops for a three point hitch.