Welded hooks to my LA340 loader bucket

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Finally got time to weld hooks onto my LA340 loader bucket.. the welds are no where near perfect but it will get the job done haha.

Start to finish pics:

I was originally bought 5/16” (weld-on style) hooks but they looked really tiny once I set them on the bucket and then I saw the (eyelet style) 5/16” grab hook and they looked much bigger/beefier, plus they sat on the top of the bucket much better (the top of the bucket has angled steel and is not totally flat). I also decided that I could put a large Clevis in the eyelet of the hook... this will allow me to have a nice beefy clevis as well as the hook for more versatility with connecting chains/hooks and straps.

I went 5/16” hooks because they fit darn near any size chain that I’d use on it including 1/4” and 3/8” chain which is great. Also 5/16” is what Ken uses for all his bolt on hooks I believe.

I have been wanting to do this since my first day with the tractor so I can’t wait to put them to use!

PS. I havnt found a single picture online of someone who has welded hooks to their LA340 loader bucket yet.. not sure if people are just afraid to try it or maybe most people just don’t like to weld and instead buy the bolt-on hooks.. the only pics I found were of people who used bolt-on hooks..

I was a little worried about the best placement for welding these hooks on and I feel that where I welded them was the best option.. I feel that where I welded them it is plenty strong specially for the loaders lift capacity. I chose to weld them on top of the bucket near the middle of the SSQA mount because there is plenty of supporting steel under and around it which should be plenty strong.

If I have any issues I will definitely keep you guys informed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What do you need the hooks for? Doesn’t look like that bucket even been used! It did turn out pretty good though from what I see.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
What do you need the hooks for? Doesn’t look like that bucket even been used! It did turn out pretty good though from what I see.

Ah yah, Iv only had it for about 3 weeks. Iv had the tractor longer than that but got it used with out the loader.. It’s a bx2370 and I bought a brand new bx2380 loader and bucket for it a few weeks back so yes it’s gonna look pretty “new” still. So far It’s only seen mostly snow with light gravel here and there because it’s winter here in NY but I have a huge property and those hooks are going to be extremely useful for moving and transporting objects, implements, logs, removing bushes, lifting steel, scrap, and so on..

Pretty much what COULDN’T they be used for.. if you don’t have hooks on your tractor bucket you are missing out my man.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Looks good, and the welds look just fine! They will be super handy and useful to have and you put them in the best place on that particular bucket.

My only critique in that you didn't use hooks made for welding. The ones used are zinc plated-that will emit noxious fumes when welding so care must be taken about that, and you possibly could have changed the temper of the hooks by welding them. It's just a pet-peeve of mine not to use the correct materials, I don't mean to diminish your project whatsoever.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Those look like perfect welds to me!
I’ve tried welding with an old Lincoln AC buzzbox, and determined welding is not my thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
My only critique is the location. Outside corners may have been better strength wise.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I always weld hooks on the bucket to be in line with the loader arms. I've used the same kind of hooks because I didn't have any weld on hooks when I need them, and they've always worked fine.

Always be thinking what will happen if this hook/chain gives up. Your anticipation will make you a safer operator.

Your project look nice and will serve you well.

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Looks good brother you're all set for some lifting fun... ;)

Finally got time to weld hooks onto my LA340 loader bucket.. the welds are no where near perfect but it will get the job done haha.

I was originally bought 5/16” (weld-on style) hooks but they looked really tiny once I set them on the bucket and then I saw the (eyelet style) 5/16” grab hook and they looked much bigger/beefier, plus they sat on the top of the bucket much better (the top of the bucket has angled steel and is not totally flat). I also decided that I could put a large Clevis in the eyelet of the hook... this will allow me to have a nice beefy clevis as well as the hook for more versatility with connecting chains/hooks and straps.

I went 5/16” hooks because they fit darn near any size chain that I’d use on it including 1/4” and 3/8” chain which is great. Also 5/16” is what Ken uses for all his bolt on hooks I believe.

I have been wanting to do this since my first day with the tractor so I can’t wait to put them to use!

PS. I havnt found a single picture online of someone who has welded hooks to their LA340 loader bucket yet.. not sure if people are just afraid to try it or maybe most people just don’t like to weld and instead buy the bolt-on hooks.. the only pics I found were of people who used bolt-on hooks..

I was a little worried about the best placement for welding these hooks on and I feel that where I welded them was the best option.. I feel that where I welded them it is plenty strong specially for the loaders lift capacity. I chose to weld them on top of the bucket near the middle of the SSQA mount because there is plenty of supporting steel under and around it which should be plenty strong.

If I have any issues I will definitely keep you guys informed!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Looks great! I would suggest bolting something on the bottom of the factory cutting edge. You already have holes in the factory edge, so you're part way there now. One big reason would be to serve as a sacrificial component. My first tractor's bucket had a good bit of wear after one season of snow removal.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My thoughts as well. I've never done that on any of the Kubota's I've owned. I see no point. Just as easy to remove the bucket and attach a chain loop closer to the loader frame and achieve a better lift ratio and control.

Welds aren't bad in my view. Looks to be a SMAW job, but could be MIG with too much amperage (lots of spatter to grind off).

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Just as easy to remove the bucket and attach a chain loop closer to the loader frame and achieve a better lift ratio and control.
yeah , OK... :rolleyes:

nice job Biff.

I did the same thing. works great.... used it to move lots of different stuff...

I'll be damned if I'm gonna remove the bucket if I want to move a log or a heavy item in the garage I'm working on.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
I always weld hooks on the bucket to be in line with the loader arms. I've used the same kind of hooks because I didn't have any weld on hooks when I need them, and they've always worked fine.

Always be thinking what will happen if this hook/chain gives up. Your anticipation will make you a safer operator.

Your project look nice and will serve you well.

I wanted to weld them in-line with the loader arms but I couldn’t because of the bucket level indicator plate on the bucket.. the plate was directly in front of the loader arm and I didn’t want to put the hook on top of it nor did I want to cut off or remove the plate.

And yah I wish I woulda used some weld on hooks (I mean I even had them purchased already) but I just was in a rush and liked the way the Eyelet hooks fit better to the angle/contour of the top of the bucket.. not to mention I wanted to have the Eyelet Incase I ever wanna throw a Clevis on there..

These hooks IMHO will easily handle the load capabilities of this tractor.. and even if I was pulling on them as in trying to tow something I still feel as though the tractor would loose traction before the hooks would break.

Thanks for the reply

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
My only critique is the location. Outside corners may have been better strength wise.

I also thought about mounting them to the very outside edges of the bucket as I too agree that it would be strongest there... the issue was with that is that the edge of the top of the bucket on the one side is raised above the top of the bucket.. also there is a bucket level indicator plate about 2” from the one edge so the one hook on that side would have literally had to be between the raised edge and the bucket leveler plate... this is fine and dandy except for the fact that I couldn’t get my mig welder in such a tight location to do a nice strong beefy weld.. so I finally had to opt to welding them in the location that I did.. which IMO was the best location dealing with the way the bucket is built.

I didn’t see any other way around it.. and I don’t feel the tractor has enough power to ever bend the bucket where they are at because there is plenty of Re-enforced 1/4” steel below the welded hooks for the quick attach

Thanks for your post

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
yeah , OK... :rolleyes:

nice job Biff.

I did the same thing. works great.... used it to move lots of different stuff...

I'll be damned if I'm gonna remove the bucket if I want to move a log or a heavy item in the garage I'm working on.

Exactly man! I have already used the hooks 5 or 6 times already and I absolutely love them, they are working out fantastically and I couldn’t ever imagine not having hooks now that I have them.

I just bought some pallet forks, I’ll be welding hooks on those soon as well! I’ll post pictures for you guys..

When I weld hooks on the pallet forks I’ll be using actual weld on hooks since I will have a nice flat location to do the weld.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Looks great! I would suggest bolting something on the bottom of the factory cutting edge. You already have holes in the factory edge, so you're part way there now. One big reason would be to serve as a sacrificial component. My first tractor's bucket had a good bit of wear after one season of snow removal.

I agree, a lot of people bend their BX buckets and turn them into a “happy face” bucket.. for that reason alone I plan on buying the bolt on cutting edge that Kubota makes.

I may even make my own, I havnt fully decided yet but I have plenty of tools in the arsenal to do the job ;)

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA

Thanks to everyone who has taken interest in this thread.

Here are some photos of me putting the hooks to the test. That woods box blade weighs prolly 500-600lbs.. I’d say closer to 600 to be honest.. I increased my tractors hydro pressure to 1950psi and it had absolutely zero issue lifting it, I about lifted it at an idle..

Before anybody jumps down my throat about not having rear ballasts I KNOW I should have had some weight in the back, my rear tires are loaded but I know I know (have proper ballast). I wasn’t moving the box blade far I was only picking it up to set it down onto a pallet.

And to all you safety Sally’s yes I had my ROPS down.. trust me I was in total control of what I was doing so please no safety Sally’s I don’t wanna hear it.