crankcase plug

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
I had a crankcase plug fly out of my L295DT that is right under the hydraulic filter. Oils shot all over. Owners manual calls for part number 34150-2758-1. The dealer crossed this to a 34150-27580. This plug looks correct except it is too big to go in. It is about 3/8 diameter. I need a plug that is slightly larger than 1/4. I bought a 1/4 in rubber plug at local store and it is too small. Anyone have this issue and found a plug that fits.

Second question would be what would cause the pressure to shoot out the plug and is there a remedy for it?
Thanks
Randy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Drill and tap it for a steel plug.
The original popped out because over time the metal as expanded and contracted and it finally broke loose.

Other option is to insert a tapered steel plug and tack weld it in place.

If you come over to Sandpoint, give me a shout and I'll give you the threaded plug, I have a bunch of them. ;)

You can get a hold of me by clicking my name on the right and going to my homepage.

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
Just got done tapping it out and putting a bolt and nylon washer on it. Hoping that works. Thanks for the offer. Was looking for a threaded plug at coop and north 40 yesterday but didnt find one. Many thanks to you. You are a great help on the forum.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have it licked, If you have any leakage now or in the future you can use thread sealer and a copper washer. ;)

FishLife

Nov 28, 2018
Destin, Fl
I have an issue with a few of the small ones leaking on my block. I was wondering if anyone just tapped them for a threaded plug. I was thinking about doing it and using some lock tight to seal them. Where is a good source for those plugs? All the stores around me just have set screws.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have an issue with a few of the small ones leaking on my block. I was wondering if anyone just tapped them for a threaded plug. I was thinking about doing it and using some lock tight to seal them. Where is a good source for those plugs? All the stores around me just have set screws.
Can’t help with where to get the plugs but if you use loctite be sure to use blue, blue locktite is a thread sealer as well,red loctite is not.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Sounds like you're looking for a NPT (national pipe thread) plug. Probably 1/8" or 1/4" if you're talking about a 3/8" hole. Answer is ... any plumbing, hardware, or automotive store.

Last edited:

carp1

Dec 24, 2015
heron, montana
I just tapped it out and put a bolt with a nylon washer (like oil drain plug) in the hole. Used metric bolt just to be consistent. So far no leaks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can use set screws to seal those little holes and the cam too, just use a tapered tap, and don't tap them too deep. ;)

Last edited: