B7100 clutch

Piker

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2320, 2002 Honda Rubicon
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Posted here a few times since buying my 1980 B7100 in Dec. Previous owner (owned tractor for 20 years) said he thought the clutch was worn as there was no adjustment left on the actuating rod from the pedal. This is true, all adjustment has been used up, but there is absolutely no free play either. Clutch does not slip at all when pushing a blade full of wet, heavy snow. I start the tractor in Neutral with the clutch depressed, release the clutch & let it warm up for a few minutes at 1/2 throttle (or less) while I clean off the vehicles after a storm. When I get ready to plow/blow, I throttle back, select whatever gear I want to use & throttle back up - no grinding, no noises from throw out bearing, shifting is smooth while plowing/blowing. This kind of indicates to me that there might be an issue with the clutch fork/internal linkage rather than the clutch disk/pressure plate? Anyone have any ideas?

MDsteve

Equipment
B7100, L225, L295DT
Jun 30, 2010
Forest Hill, MD
I can't imagine clutch fork wear being appreciable compared to wear in T/O bearing and clutch disck. If external adjustment to full extent has it working as well as you say, then why worry? Everything else will involve splitting the tractor, so I would wait until it causes trouble and then replace everything while you have it apart.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Something has caused all the adjustment to be used up & my past experience with worn clutch discs is that they usually slip under load. Didn't really want to throw more parts at it than I need. Local Kubota prices for pressure plate & clutch disc are high but can get them on-line for 1/2 price from a Canadian supplier. Might as well order clutch & pressure plate & get the rest (throw-out bearing & pilot bearing) from the dealer. I'll split the tractor when the snow stops & get ready for some gardening.

MDsteve

Equipment
B7100, L225, L295DT
Jun 30, 2010
Forest Hill, MD
You might also check www.allpartsstore.com for the clutch parts. I bought a clutch pressure plate and disk for my L295 and brakes for a L225, and quality was equivalent to OEM. Best part - they were at my door the day after I entered my order online.

Piker

Equipment
Dec 1, 2010
Riverview, NB, Canada
Thanks for the info, the site I checked before is Canadian but looks identical to your link & prices are the same - go figure. The old girl works so good I don't mind springing for new clutch parts & while it is apart might as well replace all associated pieces.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
While had the front end off my l235dt for the low oil pressure, I went ahead and pulled the eng from the trans. The pressure plate and flywheel looked good, so I replaced the clutch disc and throw out bearing. Cost $45 for both at a local clutch rebuilding facility. Felton's Clutch Service, 423-266-8858