Not your standard "B2650/spacers/MMM" topic...

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I have a ROPS B2650 that I purchased with a 60" MMM. Opted to mow with a ZTR rather than the tractor so I sold the MMM to sheepfarmer.

She has a cabbed 2650.

Both of us are running 1 5/8" spacers. Both of us are running turf tires.

I had no clearance issues with the deck and the rear tires. I could pin the deck up without any interference.

She can not replicate the same on her tractor. The rear scalp rollers interfere with the tires.

I have a theory, but I am going to wait for her to drop in and provide any information I may be missing.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
first thought......assuming all things equal - any mounting holes on deck or hanger in another position?

the interference occurs at top of movement? or when "on ground?"

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
There's no option for alternate mounting holes. She questions possible differences in frames between the two.

I think her tires are overinflated/overfilled.
We tried to check pressure but I got beet juice out instead of air.

Interference happens when the deck is lifted to its highest position.

Here's a pic of a level across my tire showing the crown. Hers is much more pronounced which lead me to the tires having to much pressure. Trying to check and getting beet juice just adds to the mystery.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
when you check the air.........you at 12' o'clock on valve stem?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yes. Thats why I surprised to get beet juice out.

I theorize that whoever loaded her tires equalized the air up to the point that the juice got over the valve stem, and then kept filling.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes. Thats why I surprised to get beet juice out.

I theorize that whoever loaded her tires equalized the air up to the point that the juice got over the valve stem, and then kept filling.
WOW - that would lead to one hellva bumpy ride.

Anyway to see a picture of her tire/mmm situation?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Maybe you need to get a piece of clear hose that fits tightly over the valve stem and release some of the Rim Guard into a container.

Just put a jack under the rear to take the weight off the tires, with the stem straight up and let it out until it quits flowing at that position should be correct.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a ROPS B2650 that I purchased with a 60" MMM. Opted to mow with a ZTR rather than the tractor so I sold the MMM to sheepfarmer.

She has a cabbed 2650.

Both of us are running 1 5/8" spacers. Both of us are running turf tires.

I had no clearance issues with the deck and the rear tires. I could pin the deck up without any interference.

She can not replicate the same on her tractor. The rear scalp rollers interfere with the tires.

I have a theory, but I am going to wait for her to drop in and provide any information I may be missing.
IIRC, the B2650 uses a terrain following deck with gage wheels.

Are the gage wheels still adjusted as they were when the deck was mounted on your tractor?

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There is a reason that Kubota says this mmm is incompatible with wheel spacers because it MIGHT be!

Ok it will take a while to get the pics up, but they will follow. As far as we can tell the deck installation is identical, although my tractor had to go back to the dealer to have the loader frame bolt holes fixed since eipo and I found them damaged when we were transferring subframe parts over. The tech took off the subframe to get at the holes and put it back. Another story, but I believe not relevant.

The deck works fine for mowing. The problem is if you raise the deck all the way up for travel or to attach it to the link so you can use the 3 pt hitch, the antiscalp roller and the antiscalp wheel both hit the tires on the corner of the tread. They have not been adjusted since taking off eipo's tractor, for 3" cut.

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Maybe you need to get a piece of clear hose that fits tightly over the valve stem and release some of the Rim Guard into a container.

Just put a jack under the rear to take the weight off the tires, with the stem straight up and let it out until it quits flowing at that position should be correct.
We tried that yesterday sans jack. I let it go into a 5 gallon bucket. But it needs more, imo. We decided to halt and get more minds involved.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Yes, the issue isnt the gauge wheels. It's the 2 anti scalp wheels on the rear corners of the deck contacting the tires in the lifted position.
IIRC, the B2650 uses a terrain following deck with gage wheels.

Are the gage wheels still adjusted as they were when the deck was mounted on your tractor?

SDT

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Sheep and I are both aware that kubota says the 60" deck won't work with spacers.

Were trying to narrow down the reason it worked on mine but won't on hers.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Okay here are some pictures, first of the interference issue. And this finally answers another forum member who had a similar question. This is the antiscalp wheel on the left hand side. The issue is similar for the roller on the right side. The arrow shows where the post column contacts the corner of the tire, when the deck is in the up position. So adjusting the wheel will have no effect. The other picture shows plenty of clearance in the mowing position. The 3 pt pulls the deck up and back at the same time.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sheep - is it possible YOUR mmm is raising a bit higher than Eipo's?

Also - on the FRONT hanger.....there should be two threaded connectors that adjust the free play in the hanging and lowering of the MMM.

see if these are the same? I would think that if loosened - it may allow rearward movement, where as if tightened, might pull the MMM forward.

Attachments

Last edited:

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
Hokie,

On sheeps tractor it's not lifting it high enough to pin it up so the 3 point is freed up for other tasks before the interference.

When it was mounted on mine, pinning it up wasn't an issue. There wasn't a lot of clearance in the areas causing issue now, but it worked.

The adjustments on the front bracket won't bring the deck fore or aft, the linkage locates the deck under the tractor.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Pretty interesting problem! The one thing I think about is are you guys sure that the wheel spacers you 2 have are exactly the same width? And are they both the same brand of turfs. Just a thought.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Seems like the problem could arise from:

1. Some difference in the deck. Ruled out, it is the same deck.
2. Some difference in the loader subframe between cabbed and uncabbed B2650's. Hard to tell at this point.
3. Some difference in the tires. This is where eipo's idea about the inflation came in.

I couldn't find my tire pressure gauge for fluid tires,and I don't have a floor jack, but we tried a couple other things. I believe my tires are filled close to correct because there is a line of dirt showing the edge of a condensation line that shows that there is normally a pocket of air above the level of the valve stem. Could be a little lower. Pressure 16 psi? (Eipo is that the number you remember?) We let some of the beet juice out, and on the left side the pressure on a regular, now sticky, low pressure gauge was about 13psi. Supposed to be 14. Did not solve problem. Right side was about 14 psi.

Measured the distance between the top of the rim to the ground on both sides: left, 27 3/8"
right, 27 5/8"

This is a convenient measure of tire size and inflation.

Eipo texted this morning that his tires were by same measurement method an inch shorter than mine! Supposedly same tire and wheel, or are they?

Mine are Titan turf tires, 13.6-16, Multi-Trac C/Z. 474K81 4 Ply Rating Tubeless, Max Load 1570 lbs, Max Infl 14 psi, 106 A3, 96/A8 in a circle, 1-474 081 CF2315.

He texted a picture, and the way his tire meets the rim is different from mine. He said he thought the tire covered the rim more (good memory!) So here are pictures of the two rims. The first left is his, mine on the right has a white arrow pointing to a little ledge that sticks out on mine.

Could this be the difference and why the deck has room on his tractor but not mine?

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Rkidd, the spacers are supposed to be the same width, but not the same brand. Mine are Kubota 1 5/8, and eipo's are same size but different brand. Same thing with tires, different source. I'll let him fill in details.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sheep - is it possible YOUR mmm is raising a bit higher than Eipo's?

Also - on the FRONT hanger.....there should be two threaded connectors that adjust the free play in the hanging and lowering of the MMM.

see if these are the same? I would think that if loosened - it may allow rearward movement, where as if tightened, might pull the MMM forward.
Hokie, I think you have a point worth checking. There is an adjustment mentioned in the manual that gives a dimension for the other model deck, but with Titan turfs as if it matters with that tire type, so I'll have to see if I can figure out where they are talking about, a front stopper and a mid hanger bracket (?).

We did try changing the rear 3 pt hydraulic link to a different hole, but it didn't solve the problem.