Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
tiger9297
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL
Default B7100 Fuel pump leaking

I live in MS, but over the past few weeks we have had some really cold weather and quite a bit of snow for our area. My tractor has never had any kind of a leak, but when I was using it this past weekend, I noticed it dripping fuel. It's coming from around the fuel pump. I've checked the lines to make sure a hose wasn't cracked and I don't see anything like that. The tractor runs perfectly, so I wouldn't think the pump was bad, or even weak. I see that the pump is made in two sections, with a gasket in the middle. Could this be the problem?? I'm wondering if maybe there was some moisture in the pump that froze during all of the cold weather. Again, the tractor cranks and runs perfectly. I just hate any kind of a leak. Thoughts?
tiger9297 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Service Dept Vic

Equipment: B-5000
Default Re: B7100 Fuel pump leaking

Ya, water or condensate in the pump would cause expansion when frozen I suppose. One has to wonder how well the trator would have been operating with water in there or in the fuel during non freeze times.

I'd remove it, crack it open and investigate that gasket as you mentioned. A little RTV and you should see if that did the trick.

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
tiger9297
1st Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: B7100HST-D w/ Bush Hog FEL

I'm not sure either. It runs perfectly. I'll check it out. Thanks for the help.
tiger9297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
LRP
2nd Yr. Apprentice

if it was my tractor, i would find exactaly where the leak was before
i started wrenching. wash the side of the tractor with a green soap solution,
blow it dry with a air hose, vacume cleaner on blow. then crank it over a few
turns without starting look for weeping. no leaks, turn it some more. start
and turn it of after a few seconds ect. in the long run, this would save u time and money and unnecesary expenses ,
my 2 cents
Louis
LRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Service Dept Vic

Equipment: B-5000

And that makes perfect sense!

Oh Ya! We've got that!
Service Dept Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Kubota Newbie
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake

To see your leak better... Dry it really well by cleaning with carb or brake cleaner and compressed air. Sprinkle on a little talcum powder around the suspect area, you'l be able to see the leak right away.
My M4500 was leaking last month, only when running - new hose clamp on the outlet side of the booster pump. Hoses will take a "set" and even though the clamp appears ok and there are no cracks in the hose they can leak at the connection.
Kubota Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
ipz2222
Journeyman

Equipment: L235, bx2670

Talcum powder or "baby powder" is a great idea. I use it a lot to find leaks on automatic transmissions. You can shake it up and then quickly squeeze the bottle for a cloud of powder.
ipz2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Kubota Newbie
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake

Actually, a similar method is used to find cracks in aluminum cyl. heads. Since they can't be magnafluxed like an iron head they are cleaned, dried, sprayed with a really thin oil with a dye in it, dried off on the surface good and then "powdered". The oil in the cracks shows up as a colored line in the dry powder. Works pretty slick. RC
Kubota Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote