Kubota B1550

seapotato

Equipment
B1550
Jan 1, 2018
Nanaimo BC Canada
Hey Guys,

So I bought a little B1550 a few months ago, seems like a good little machine, but I have some questions regarding tires...

(B1550 hst with the bi-speed turn thing if that makes a difference)

When I got it, the rears were nearly new ( Firestone 29x12x15 turfs) and the fronts were (and still are ) completely bald.

The fronts on there are the 20.5x8x10's that I gather are obsolete, but I wanted to make sure what I needed for the correct size to match the rears before I buy anything.

According to the website, the rears have a rolling circumference of 86", but I haven't been able to find if that's the correct rear size for the tractor?

Or what the gear ratio is on it so I can size the fronts properly, without a lot of monkeying around and measuring

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I assume you have a 4WD model, and that's why you are concerned. It doesn't matter for 2WD.

Looking at the B1550 manual at kubotabooks.com, the rear turf tire size is listed at 29 x 12.0 -15, so it seems that is correct. Your front is also wearing the correct 20.5 x 8.0 -10, which is no longer available from anybody. I know, I just went through this myself.

Fortunately, there is a suitable replacement: the 20 x 10 x 10 Carlisle "All Trail 2" ATV tire. Click here for photos and dimensions.

The only other alternative is a trailer tire. Goodyear makes them in that size.

seapotato

Equipment
B1550
Jan 1, 2018
Nanaimo BC Canada
Thanks for the links,

and yeah, should have mentioned 4wd...:p

I saw that thread on the carlisle, just trying to find someone who sells them here.

Did a quick price check on amazon...cheapest is 375 each? :eek:

Weird how that happens on amazon, they show as being only $75ish on carlisle's site. (but 180 in shipping)

I'll check in with the "good" local tire shop later this week. Had one quote me over 400 for a pair of 205/65/10's mounted. Bit steep when I can get them online for 90per.

cheers,
r

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I saw that thread on the carlisle, just trying to find someone who sells them here.

Did a quick price check on amazon...cheapest is 375 each? :eek:

Weird how that happens on amazon, they show as being only $75ish on carlisle's site. (but 180 in shipping)
I bought them through Amazon, but had them shipped to a friend in the US, who brought them up for me. It was free shipping in the US and about $12 in sales tax. I don't remember the shipping to Canada being quite that exorbitant though!

At that price, check with your local Canadian Tire. They should be able to order it in, they do carry Carlisle tires. Or any shop that handles ATVs, since they are an ATV tire.

By your username, I'm guessing you are affiliated with Miller Tire? What is the rolling circumference of your Kenda trailer tire once inflated? I see the overall diameter is listed as 20.8", which translates to an inch longer unloaded circumference. With the 6 ply rating, I suspect the sidewalls may be stiffer which would mean the difference in rolling circumference under load is even greater.

Not a problem at all for the 2 wheel drive tractors, sounds like a great alternative, but excessive rolling circumference may cause damage to a 4 wheel drive tractor.

seapotato

Equipment
B1550
Jan 1, 2018
Nanaimo BC Canada
I bought them through Amazon, but had them shipped to a friend in the US, who brought them up for me. It was free shipping in the US and about $12 in sales tax. I don't remember the shipping to Canada being quite that exorbitant though!

At that price, check with your local Canadian Tire. They should be able to order it in, they do carry Carlisle tires. Or any shop that handles ATVs, since they are an ATV tire.

Yeah, I'll do some more poking around for sure. I was leaning towards those kenda ones, (pretty sure that's the brand of the 20.5's on the tractor right now) really just because of price and actually being readily available, but the Carlisle's do look a bit better traction wise.

Whether or not all that traction is really a good thing long term I'm not sure...

thorkil- I'm in Canada, so amazon.com gives me the ol' "sorry, this item cannot be shipped to your address" message.

amazon.ca is how I'd have to roll. Bit more expensive on there...

There is a company called seawings on the island here that will deliver to a local airport from Blaine Washington.

Often helps with shipping prices. Still not as good as free tho, and all rather complicated compared to just finding a shop that will sell them to me without going in dry.

Cheers,
R

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The rolling circumference is 65.3". You are allowed a 5% variance on 4WD.
I was under the understanding that the OEM tire rolling circumference was 61". That would be a 7% variance, would it not? (and actually, the allowable variance I've seen posted elsewhere was 2%, with a range of 59.75" to 62.25")).

That said, the specs for that tire list it as 20.8" which I assume is unloaded? That works out to 65.34" circumference, which is the same as the value you quote for the rolling circumference. If my understanding of the principle is correct, the rolling circumference should be smaller than that, due to the load on the tire, correct?

For example, the AT2 mentioned earlier has an unloaded circumference of 64.375" measured around the centre of tread @ 22psi. However, installed on my tractor, with FEL and counterweight, the tractor actually only moves forward 60.25" per revolution.

Given that your Kenda trailer tire starts out 1" larger unloaded, and given that your tire has a 6 ply sidewall with a considerably higher weight rating, I'm sure the tire will have a longer rolling circumference than the AT2, but surely it must compress somewhat? Possibly into the 2% range?

My tractor wore trailer tires (albeit a different brand) for the first 22 years of it's life. So I know they can work. Your Kenda is cheaper than the AT2 and has a higher weight rating (although not too many compact tractors can sustain 50mph!).

No offense intended, but you don't seem to be a Kubota tractor owner. Your posts on this board (and others) all seem aimed at directing people to your tire store. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing -- if a knowledgeable person can provide some assistance in their field of expertise that's great whether that person owns a tractor or not. But this is the internet and it's full of claims. I'd just like to see the hard evidence that your tire fits the required envelope rather than the assurance that you have sold hundreds of them so far. Did you sell them because they are appropriate, or because you are the only tire guy taking the time to search forums for tire questions?

PhillT

Equipment
B1550 4WD-HST- F.E.L., Slasher, Post Hole Digger, Rotary Tiller, Grader Blade
Sep 21, 2011
Western Australia
For the information of anyone reading this thread:-

The Intergear ratio (The ratio of front to back axle) is 1.53.

Ryan Slater

Equipment
B1550hst
Jan 1, 2015
tacoma, wa
Some tire manufacturer needs to start making a 20.5x8-10 or a 205/65-10 in a traction tire. I bet they would sell since it seams there are still alot of these older kubota 4wd tractors around.